What great band have you just discovered?

For people like CatfishRivers and Mushman and CC: you guys should check out POLVO. THE GREATEST BAND EVER!!!
they put out 6 records between 91 and 97. theystarted out on what was then the underground of underground record labels: MERGE. which i was HIGHLY surprised to see was the label ARCADE FIRE is on. it's so weird, seeing that stuff that i thought would never make it to the mainstream but is starting to become part of pop culture. which makes me think that maybe pop culture might be getting cooler. i doubt it though. anyway, my point is all this great music is basically a regurgitation of the progress that was made through the underground during the 90's. ya know it started with Nirvana but was, of course, never fulfilled because pop culture wanted some eddie vedder wannabes as their icons. so the natural progression that was supposed to occur never did due to the fact that most of the people in this country are idiots. anyway the music is making it's way out, finally, though not with the names that started it. but the progression of that. yet they still haven't made it to POLVO yet. THE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD. i'd say pop culture has made it to about hwere we were back in 93 or 94. anyway here are the names of the six albums POLVO made:

Cor-Crane Secret
Today's Active Lifestyles
Celebrate the New Dark Age
This Eclipse
Exploded Drawing
Shapes

THe first three are the must-haves.

fuck on the beach.

some weird ass japanese grindcore. to be honest, it sucks, but i can't get enough of it.

22-20's

They opened for the Black Crowes the other night. I'm going to Plan 9 today to pick up some cd's.
14.gif

Looper said:
The Arcade Fire definately... that album is just amazing.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I think they are they are the worst band I have ever heard. So overrated, useless and derivative that it scares me. Only Pitchfork Media would like a band like this. Hipsters of the world, UNITE!

Last edited:
SonOF said:
I don't want to be a party pooper, but I think they are they are the worst band I have ever heard. So overrated, useless and derivative that it scares me. Only Pitchfork Media would like a band like this. Hipsters of the world, UNITE!
i hate to burst your personal bubble, but people i know who wouldnt be caught dead listening to hipster shit love this band. it's beautiful music.

I don't see it...it sounds like retro-recycled trash...and yes, I actually sat though the whole album...GIMME MY 50 MINUTES BACK!

It's been a real pleasure watching the Arcade Fire blow up to the extent that they have. It's a beautiful record, one of the few in recent years where all the hype actually is warranted. It's genuinely passionate, it rocks, it knows when to back off...

That line of the first song 'yeah a tunnel' after the drums go all kraut-rocky has been in my head for almost a year. It's a great change of dynamics, and a real emotional high-point. The album is full of moments like that.

With the way the PF/NME etc hype-machine has been running over the last few years, with every third band being touted as earth-shatteringly brilliant, I can understand why alot of people were sceptical/cynical about this record. But it really is superb.

First of all, I like the Arcade Fire -- they're pleasant, I enjoy the album, and the performance I saw of theirs last year was great. That's about the extent of it, though. I don't wear the album like a badge nor do I only listen to certain rock bands because some critic says its the cool thing to do or whatever. I like the album, but I do think it's a wee bit overrated.

SonOF, I agree that a lot of modern pop rock is beginning to sound somewhat inbred with the constant mimicking of groups like Joy Division, Wire, The Fall, etc etc -- but I really don't sense anything "retro" about the Arcade Fire. In fact, their originality is one of the reasons I really appreciate them. Face it, the album is pretty diverse in its sound and is difficult to pin down as being simply derivative. Perhaps you should give the album a closer listen, or at least point to the "retro" sounds or bands the group is "recycling."

*Back on topic, I got Ted Leo and The Pharmacists' album "Hearts of Oak," and it's pretty good so far.

Last edited:
speedy_gonzajez said:
Bands I discovered or just finally paid attention and got around listening to (and liking) this year:

Against Me!

The Moldy Peaches

heh, it's almost like you're describing my past few months. have you heard kimya dawson's (one of the vocalists from the moldy peaches) solo stuff?

FD :)

I was sent a cool radio-show set from carl.. that's what got me. :)

Another artist I've gotten into recently is Seu Jorge. He's one of the best aspects of The Life Aquatic.

the life aquatic was an odd, odd movie. i LOVED the seu jorge tidbits, though. i think that's the only part of the film i actually understood --- i need to watch it sober.

^ You should get the soundtrack.. though I was a *bit* dissapointed in that they didn't include Staralfur (Sigur Ros), Ziggy Stardust (Jorge) OR Space Oddity(also Seu Jorge) in it. :(

i just listened to the flaming lips for the first time. Its really something i could get used to.
Very chill music.

i've just recently gotten into the Flaming Lips and Sleater-Kinney, both whom I think are fantastic.