• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heart Beat on Coke

Jungle_Bob

Bluelighter
Hi, bluelight.

Quick question, I've noticed that when I do coke recently my heart beat seems to pound much faster and harder than ever before. This has only started happening in the past 6 months or so. I use probably once a month max. Heart rate goes up to around 130-140bpm from my second line and stays there until about 2 hours after my last.

Usually do no more than 1g in a session with a few beers.

Resting heart rate is around 70bpm.

Any ideas what this could be?

By the way i'm new. :) (and a little wasted)....

Any advice tonight would be great (see above) ;-)

Well, coke is a stimulant, stimulants cause an increased heart beat. If your smoking weed along with coke it will raise it even more. You might not have noticed it before because you might not have been paying much attention to it. Everytime i've done coke (only 4 or 5 times?), i haven't been able to feel my heart beat at all... I'd put my hand against my chest and couldn't feel a thing. At first it kinda freaked me out, and then i just stopped caring after 2 minutes of it "not beating".

wait, cocaine accelerates your heartbeat? Your heart beat pounds faster and faster when you do a gram of coke by yourself? Hold on, let me check my literature. I will do a few PUBMED searches and talk to some drug veterans that I know. Don't you worry, we will get to the bottom of this problem mighty quickly!

-swybs

I always did get the feeling when coming down but it's just strange how its started to happen all the time. I was thinking it could be something in the coke, the cut possibly ? The quality of coke I get at the minute (uk) is all over the place aswell.....

I never used to notice it & when I've checked my heart rate in the past it never got above 110bpm. Just curoius that's all.

swybs

Please see -

"when I do coke recently my heart beat seems to pound much faster and harder than ever before"

personal experience : when I stopped smoking pot my heart stopped racing on coke ( a few friends said same , , only one said pot did not speed up his coked heart . Try skipping the pot , and the beer although good for quashing panicky feelings makes coke use toxic ( can someone confirm this please ? ) and also , lastly I found that when doing coke w/friends and when in a good mood already before the COKE,
my heart stayed very slow ( I am CONSTANT "heart-checker" , but when i did coke alone in a so-so mood heart raced after every damn line ( so..partly psychological right ?)

stillbeing said:
and the beer although good for quashing panicky feelings makes coke use toxic ( can someone confirm this please ? )

Yes, it does pose a higher risk for death.

cocaine + alcohol creates a different, more toxic (but also seemingly more fun) chemical in the liver. I can't remember the name of it right now, i'm sure someone else will come along and correct me though.

There's no COKE?
You heard me you dumb fuck!, there's no COKE?

Of course you bpm will be affected by cocaine usage.
I actually feel like I am in two places at once.
Bells & whistles, sirens, choo-choo trains.
Clammy hands and shivering body.
But that is the pay off for high grade COKE.

Cocaine cardiac toxicity

Cocaine is a lot more dangerous for your heart than other stimulants because of it's local anaesthetic activity. Ever noticed on programs like ER, that if someone has a heart attack they sometimes use lidocaine?

Thats because the local anaesthetic effects alter the way that heart muscles co-ordinate how they contract (almost like pressing a "reset" button if the heart goes into ventricular fibrillation). The reset effect also happens if the heart is working perfectly ok, sometimes knocking it into abnormal rhythms. Combine that with the effects cocaine has on dopamine/noradrenaline systems, and you're as good as asking your heart to fuck up.

If you check figures for cocaine related deaths/ermergency admissions, you'll find that quite a high percentage are due to cardiac complications, especially if you compare with other stimulants such as methamphetamine/amphetamine. Also, long term heavy use of coke will make you more likely to die from heart related problems.

This post has put me off taking anything ever again, please read the response I got above.

Think I'll stick with the wife/kids and a nice jobs thanks.

Good luck everyone....

Seriously, take a good look in the mirror, the future doesn't look good, does it ?

It's not all bad news

Jungle_Bob,

Not all recreational drugs carry that sort of risk. Small amounts of amphetamine are perfectly OK, as long as you don't go on binges involving staying awake for days on end (eg a small amount for a Sat night out), and except for the dangers of inhaling smoke, cannabis is incredibly benign.

It's just that coke encourages compulsive use, and large amounts are not good for your physical or mental health.

Jungle_Bob said:
This post has put me off taking anything ever again, please read the response I got above.

Think I'll stick with the wife/kids and a nice jobs thanks.

Good luck everyone....

Seriously, take a good look in the mirror, the future doesn't look good, does it ?

Dude, you have nothing to worry about if you are using coke as you say you are.

1g once a month or so isn't going to have any negative effects on you.

Just dont drink the beer with it.

If you are noticing a higher heartbeat than before, the coke you are currently using could have some meth in it.

I knew a dealer who would sometimes beef up his shit coke with a little bit of glass.

^ Jungle_Bob mentioned he's in the UK so there won't be any meth in his coke.

There could possibley be some amphetamine in the coke as you said the quality is a bit all over the place. Another possibility is panic/anxiety feelings.

Maybe in the US

Meth might be used to "beef up" coke in the US, but (in most places) in the UK, methamphetamine is actually harder to obtain than cocaine (that said, it could have had plain old amphetamine sulphate added to it)

I see someone answered at the same time (at least you have had it confirmed by two people in UK)

Jungle_Bob,

High quality cocaine will not raise your heartbeat to a point where it would even bother you. The cocaine your using (if it's even cocaine) is very likely cut with either another amphetamine or ephedrine or something else.

If you want to remove the cuts and return your cocaine to it's purist point, then simply wash it with acetone. You will find the high to be much more pleasant, sexual, conversational and utterly enjoyable.

It's a simple procedure. Ask me how if your interested.

The Chemist

;)

It's still cocaine

Even if you do get to the point of having cocaine of pharmaceutical (98%+) quality, it's still not good for your heart (especially if you have a family history of heart problems), but yes, it's better than cocaine + other amphetamine type stimulant

Ok, Jungle_Bob has already got a sensitivity to Cocaine (or it appears so...). It is true that Cocaine can sometimes be a very powerful stimulant, it will most definately increase one's heartbeat after usage, because well... basically that's just what stimulants do.

But, from 75 BPM to 120BPM is a pretty rapid and worrisome heartbeat to say the least.

Jungle_Bob, did you ever consider that you might actually even have an underlying heart condition. It is true that some drugs may un-veil how your physical shape ACTUALLY IS, before you were ready for it. You sound worried mate, go and speak to a doctor or two (...and don't forget to be honest, remember:- Doctor/Patient-confidentiality.)

While I admit that Cocaine is one of my most favourite drugs I have ever tried. I haven't had any problems with it YET and actually find it's come-down HARDLY noticable.
But, that said... why advise the guy to keep on shoving that shit up his nose, when he clearly states he is having heart-troubles? Now, that's just asking for trouble, IMHO. Think before you consider giving out what could be very, potentially, fatal advice.

I agree with you Jungle_Bob, when you start getting bad results like this... after using particular drugs, it's time to re-consider the actual drugs recreational merit, over your physical/mental health, and just live it "on the low".
Wife and kids sounds a safer bet to me too mate.

Get better. :)