View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Do all magic mushrooms bruise blue?

TheWizardOfSD

Bluelighter
I have found some mushrooms, not planning on eating them, but still wondering whats up with them, the caps bruise really blue, but the stalks are hollow and dont bruise at all. Just wondering if all "good" mushrooms bruise blue?

Yes.

But there are also non-magical vision inducing mushrooms that bruise blue and could possibly be poisonous.

Do not injest mushrooms you've found unless you have them ID'd by someone that actually knows what they are doing.

One more time, Do Not Eat.

Indeed, not all blue bruising mushrooms and magic, and not all magic mushrooms are blue brusing.

^^ I'm pretty sure all psilocybin-containing mushrooms bruise blue to some degree, and thats probably what he was talking about. Yes, there are some other psychoactive mushrooms that don't turn blue (amanitas, puffballs, etc), but relatively few people have any interest in eating those.

no

an example of this would be gympolius spectabalis aka (big laughing gym) and the mushroom contains pcilocybin :)

it bruises orange to dark orange and is very much active.

Do you have a reference for that?

If that is the case, its probably because there is such a small amount of active chemical in it, distributed throughout a large mushroom. You have to eat a fairly large amount of them to get any effect, and I definately wouldn't consider them 'very much active'. They also taste terrible. I wouldn't consider them worthy of being eaten. They are, however, pretty cool looking.

Edit: Not trying to be an ass.... there is just lots of mushroom misinformation.

Well they're not the most potent species in the world, but you can trip off around 5g.

You gotta eat a lot of big laughing gyms to trip and they are very bitter mushrooms.

Some boletes bruise blue and they are deadly. Boletes are ID'd easily because they have pores instead of gills (underneath the cap).

Some Cubensis mushrooms do not bruise blue and are active. However most active mushrooms will show heavy signs of blueish bruising.

fizzacyst said:
Do you have a reference for that?

If that is the case, its probably because there is such a small amount of active chemical in it, distributed throughout a large mushroom. You have to eat a fairly large amount of them to get any effect, and I definately wouldn't consider them 'very much active'. They also taste terrible. I wouldn't consider them worthy of being eaten. They are, however, pretty cool looking.

Edit: Not trying to be an ass.... there is just lots of mushroom misinformation.

http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=108

is one source. and i'm pretty sure that the shroomery has more info
on the species, just do a search on it.

long ago, i found and consumed the species and it was quite active. (i ate about 5 grams fresh of the material and felt a psychedelic nudge which led to uncontrollable laughter hence the name "big laughing gyms" also dialated pupils were noted.)

on a diffent account, a friend of mine consumed a gym that i found growing on the trunk of a pine tree. he also experienced the same psychedelic nudge without but the laughter on one 3 gram (fresh) immature specimen. (dialated pupils were also noted)

that was years ago, if i would have know better, i definitely would have kept the rest of the gyms, dried them, and extended my research of them. In total I found and gave away over a pound of fresh gyms which were thrown out by another friend, who let it rot in some container because he was afraid to consume it. in truth i felt the same fear about them at that time
being such a newbie and all (what ignorance) and it was the
reason why i gave it away.

on a tangent, if my memory serves me right, i recall gyms in the west are not as active as the gyms in the east. i might be as so bold to even say that the gyms in the west might not be active at all but please correct me on that one if i'm wrong

Last edited:
By reference i meant journal material, or at the least something not posted by a random unverifiable net user.

I don't know the percentage of water by weight of these mushrooms, but 3-5grams fresh doesn't really sound like enough to say it wasn't placebo.

You'll be lucky to find many mushroom articles published, let alone any on rather unusual mushroom like gymnopilus.

But then again:
Lloydia 41(2):140-4. ( 1978 )
The occurrence of psilocybin in Gymnopilus species.
Hatfield GM, Valdes LJ.

An accidental case of mushroom poisoning led to the detection of psilocybin in Gymnopilus validipes (Cortinariaceae). This compound was subsequently isolated (0.12% yield) by anion exchange and cellulose chromatography. Eighteen additional species of Gymnopilus were screened by a method capable of detecting 0.0004% psilocybin in dried carpophores. Psilocybin was detected in G. aeruginosus, G. luteus, G. viridans and G. spectabilis. The latter species has been previously reported to be hallucinogenic. This is the first report of psilocybin from this genus.

So 5grams, at 0.12% = 6mg, right smack in the middle of human oral recreational doses!

Damn I'm a fucking source of knowledge =D

Last edited:
fizzacyst said:
By reference i meant journal material, or at the least something not posted by a random unverifiable net user.

I don't know the percentage of water by weight of these mushrooms, but 3-5grams fresh doesn't really sound like enough to say it wasn't placebo.

wow, hostile arent we? i'm pretty sure if you do find the info you seek about the gyms, it would lead to the same answer. gyms contain most likely pcilocybin.

youre right about the weight. i must have been more perhaps double. these mushrooms were very large in comparison to cubensis. in either sense, the effects were definitely not placebo =]

the best thing for you do is to go out and find them yourself and experience them as i have.

Last edited:
BilZ0r said:

So 5grams, at 0.12% = 6mg, right smack in the middle of human oral recreational doses!

i wish i was more methodical at that time when dealing with gyms, trying to recall the weight (by estimation) of an experiment with gyms i took about a decade ago is really boggling my mind.

=/

When you harvest fresh psilocybe cubensis mushrooms, if you squeeze them while they are still wet, they will bruise blue. SO, if they are blue it is a good sign they are real, as long as they smell like regular cubes etc. But if they arent blue, it doesnt at all mean they are fake.

Ive eaten enough shrooms to know one way or another, it's really not hard. The smell always gives it away.

hmm let me trace my steps...this should be fun 8(

ok, i was in a park with decidious woods (maple, birch, oak) looking for shrooms with my field guide to north american mushrooms in one hand.

after spending most of the afternoon identifying other species like, amanitas (yellow), mica caps, coprinus (from the same park on a horse trail)
and what the hell was that.. that other huge mushroom.. i think it has to be portabella cause they were huge, with purple brown spores. ( yes, i took a sporeprint)

after hours of walking around in the heat, i couldn't believe my eyes. there it was a dirty orange mushroom patch with huge 4-5 inch caps. there were bugs in the gills.. yet still, i put them in a paper bag and took them home.

after cleaning out the bugs from the cap, i took a spore print. i remember it being a rust colored orange. I then cut and squeezed the stem and the whole stem started brusing ad dark moist orange/ red color.

i took a whif at the specimen and it did smell line anise as the field guide noted. after reassuring myself that what i had was the real deal. i then took one cap and broke into chunks.

damn why can't i remember the exact amount i ate from there on..?
:p

Last edited:
john mason said:
When you harvest fresh psilocybe cubensis mushrooms, if you squeeze them while they are still wet, they will bruise blue. SO, if they are blue it is a good sign they are real, as long as they smell like regular cubes etc. But if they arent blue, it doesnt at all mean they are fake.

Ive eaten enough shrooms to know one way or another, it's really not hard. The smell always gives it away.

a farnaceous smell :)

That was for Gymnopilus validipes, not G. Spectabilis. The I can find no information about drug content on it. Just because they are in the same genus means nothing about alkaloid contect between species. That says abolsutely nothing about the content of G. spectabilis.

A report by John Allen, who is reputable in such matters says that it takes 'large quanitites' to get a desired effect. What is large? Thats subjective. But considering that a fairly normal p. cubensis dosage, the most commonly eaten, is 2-4g, and not considered a large amount, I doubt 5g is what he meant by 'large quanities'.

Im not trying to be hostile at all. Im just getting sick of people who don't really have the information straight posting their thoughts as if it were fact, especially about mushrooms. I don't have all the information either, nor do I pretend to.

Last edited:
lol, I can't believe I missed that. Still, Does anyboyd have access to that journal?

I donno if its relevent but around here people have to eat about 70 mushrooms just for a mild buzz, and 400 shrooms for some mind blowing visuals.. extremely low potency and i've yet to find any that bruise blue/black ..in fact i was laughed at just for thinking that psilocybes were supposed to bruise! The only documented species here is psilocybe semilanceata..