POST YOUR RECORDINGS HERE! (not just for amateurs - also for labels/websites!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catfish I dig that my song mp3 you posted a up the page a little. It reminds me a lot of Isaac Brock's Ugly Casanova album...especially Catfaces--an awesome song if you haven't heard it. The vocals were a bit hard to discern, but it might just be my shitty speakers.

Can't say I really liked Paranoia...it didn't really seem to go anywhere, just kind of ambient noise with a lot of reverb and noodley guitar. What were you trying to accomplish with it?

I was trying to do a whole ambient wash lazy psychelic island breeze thing...i should just ditch the whole wash approach and play the riff for itself. There is something going on there past just noodling, but I guess it gets lost with all the delay garbage. Welp, this is a challenge then, to redo it! (and better)

;)

BTW Finder- I listened to onetrack so far of Pilot, and I must say you have a tight and polished act going for it. I was really impressed. The vocalist reminded me of this other band I like, Karate. There was a cool similarity in styles, you might want to check them out. I dig 'em, and so far you guys too.

...and is that Isaac dude the modest mouse guy? He has a solo album? Cool.

Last edited:
Yeah, Isaac Brock is from Modest Mouse...I highly recommend the Ugly Casanova album.

CatfishRivers said:
I was trying to do a whole ambient wash lazy psychelic island breeze thing...i should just ditch the whole wash approach and play the riff for itself. There is something going on there past just noodling, but I guess it gets lost with all the delay garbage. Welp, this is a challenge then, to redo it! (and better)

Well, I really liked "Paranoia"... I didn't get a chance to listen to all your songs but this one in particular seems to have a lot of potential. In general I'm impressed with what I've heard from you, but Paranoia really suits my tastes :)

Around the 1:45 minute mark I would maybe introduce a light hi-hat cymbal or some kind of light, sparse wooden percussion. I like the "island breeze" sound you have going but it does almost fall apart at a couple points. Not nescessarily in a bad way though...

Of course if you wanted you could also make this song rock out... the main riff is solid :)

Well I should submit to this thread. I haven't been playing as long as you guys probably have, and my recording equipment is bootleg (microphone --> sound blaster --> Adobe Audition)... but I can put together a decent groove.

Thing is right now I'm swamped trying to make my way through another semester. But I'll put something up here soon.

Catfish what are your musical influences?

Hey bluedolphin, thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to try to record that paranoia riff over again, to make it sound more distinct and up front, and probably on an acoustic guitar this time, but I might just have to keep some of the delay-wash stuff now...I'm getting a PODXT Live multi effects soon, and can't wait to sink my teef into it.

As far as my musical influences, I like so many types of music it would be hard to pin it down without leaving a ton out. Some of my all time favorite bands though: Pavement, the Who, the Shins, Modest Mouse, Tortoise, Shpongle, Aphex Twin, Beck, old school Genesis, the Fight Club Soundtrack, Boards of Canada, Muse, Radiohead, Home, all types of new age relaxation music, lots of classical, anything from Miles Davis's electric years, the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, ummm...I don't know where to stop... ;)

Lately, I have been really into recording songs using Reason 2.5 and a midi keyboard. I will have to post the song I made yesterday with it and see what people think.

And, don't worry about your recording set-up...there are always ways to make your equipment work for you. I hope you throw down some decent grooves so I can hear them! Good luck dudeman!

Here's the Reason track I am working on. It's only about 2 days old, but I think it came together quite nicely. Has a bit of a mogwai/sigur ros type of feel to it.

feverwash

(I think it sounds really good in head phones)

catfish, you got some really nice experimental stuff going on there :) i like.....

may I ask what guitar fx pedals you are using? cheers.

That last track (feverwash) was done without any guitars, using only my midi keyboard and Reason 2.5.

Good newz everybody! My band (Rahu-Ketu) has been contacted by an A&R person from Virgin records. We're scramblin' right now to assemble a media kit/demo to send them by Friday! I know this might not pan out, but to receive an unsolicited request for our demo has me feeling pretty good about the music right now. We were in this NYC music magazine recently and we think perhaps that is where they caught our name and web site address.

Here's the link to The Deli (the NYC music mag we got in) . Check it out, it's a cool magazine. We're in the "New Sounds" section.

Anyhow, thought I'd let you all know and ask for you guys to send us some good vibez. I'd appreciate the good thought!
Does anyone here have any experience with this kind of thing? What did you include in your media kit? What were your cover letters and band bios like? Any input would be appreciated, as we have no experience in this area of being a band yet. It's funny how contrary the advice on different website about getting signed are.

Thanks all!

Damn it, I was on some band's website just last week who had a great example of how a press kit is done. A cover letter should be about where you want to progress as a band, what your goals are. Bios...you know, just information about each member, influences, that sort of thing, keep it short and concise. Maybe include an 8x10 photo of the band and make sure whatever music you give them is on CD.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out! :)

Actually, I just remembered! It's a friend of mine who happens to be the most ridiculous bass player I've ever heard, although in this band he plays lead guitar and sings...not really my kind of music but they put on a good show. Their press kit is very well done.

Extrabluekind

Good luck Catfish and Rahu-Ketu!

Rahu Ketu's tracks don't follow the traditional song structure, they rather sound like an experimental form of jazz, something that keeps evolving around an initial theme. Are your songs ever finished? If not, is there any point recording them?

Song structure? What's that? (Actually somebody in the band might punch me for that.) Dude, our songs are poetry. We abandon them as soon as we get hungry and then go into seclusion for a decade.

:D

^^^I really dig the synth sounds and the various vocal effects. The guitars are tight, but the singer's vocals are very derivative of what is out there already. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (i.e., people will have something familiar to latch on to). With all that said, this style of music isn't my usual cup of tea, but this track (evolve) is definitely listenable, and I think it is definitely in line with the times.

hey everyone, and thanks for the feedback. sorry for not replying to any, it's been a while since i've been back here. anyway, my band's got studio time booked this febuary, and i will post links to the album when it's released, but for now, heres a track we didn't originally release on our demo, but later decided to post on the website... so here it is, lemme know what you think

Counting Sheep

hope y'all enjoy

Mobius

Anyone interested in trying to do up some sort of collaboration over the computer with me? We can figure what programs we have in common and what types of files we need to trade and then fool around and see what comes out. Anyone game?

Status
Not open for further replies.