POST YOUR RECORDINGS HERE! (not just for amateurs - also for labels/websites!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I reread that statement I do sort of sound bitter and resentful. ;)

Not my intent, of course. :p

human paraquat said:
you seem very serious about your music (unfortunately, iam not about my own :\ ) and thats great, so i thought you deserved some feedback. your sound is cool, it has an interesting, somewhat-jazzy feel that i could imagine working well in movies or television if you polished it up a bit. but to be brutally honest with you...i get kind of bored listening to it. i mean, i like it and its definately a unique sound...just not my cup of tea. i dont mean to offend you..as musical taste is a very personal thing and all.

maybe iam over-estimating how serious of an approach you're taking here, but i'll go ahead and ask you a couple relevant questions. do you (or your band) write and play music more for the satisfaction of yourself(ves) or to attract and relate to listeners? collectively, what direction or feel does your band hope to achieve/accomplish?

good luck in brooklyn :)

Yes my approach is serious in that I spend alot of time and energy doing what I do. I pretty much spend my days with my head full of the music I am working on. Replaying it over again and again, trying to evolve it mentally. My band definitely writes music to our own satisfaction and liking first and foremost. I don't think I am capable of doing it otherwise. I have always told people that I am usually my own favorite band. Now, I realize that doing so will close off a decent amount of ears, but I am also beyond positive that there is decent sized pile of people who are into listening to this type of instrumental music. Bands like Tortoise, Ui, Isotope 217, and the Dirty Three are a few examples of similar sounding bands that have been able to grow a decent sized following over the years. I grapple all the time with the issue of whether or not to include vocals. Sometimes I think yes, othertimes I hear the vocal as being the melodic line played by one instrument or other, much akin to the way classical music comes across, except our music is a blend of rock, jazz, ambient and hip hop elements. I do appreciate your comments, and yes the songs require and are going though much polishing. Hopefully we can get it mostly on for our show. We'll have much tighter and clearer recordings very soon as we prepare for the show. I would like you to hear them and see if we were able to make it more accessible to your ears.

As for where do I see us going, well music for soundtracks would be a great form of employment in my book. I would not say no to that. Otherwise, I do see us playing alot of shows in the NYC and Philly area, maybe venture out to the bordering states now and again. Try to build a following, and keep making tighter and more elaborate progressive instrumental music, with possible vocal elements, more samples and such, all in all I want there to be a great stage presence, lights films, smog whatever. I want the shows to be a very psychedelic experience. That and I want to use alot of odd time signitures in a way that doesn't feel purposefully odd, but to trick someone into dancing to a rhythm that on paper doesn't seem like you should be abel to groove to. We do that to some extent now, and our more recent recordings have a more produced quality to them. Thanks again for the feedback.

(stay tuned...)

Last edited:
Thanks Jaymie. I appreciate the kind words. I hope the audience at our first show has ears like yers!

You guys sound like you put a hell of a lot into the music. Aye, am sure there will be many kind ears. :)

Applicable Law

Sounds like you guys are having some fun here. Some great raw feeling in this track. Would like to hear it recorded well and believe strongly it would benefit from slowing down a touch as it needs a little more room for the grooves to breath and blossom fully.

Breathing

Rough, lacks confidence. Needs a lot of work and something special to stand out more. Dont intend any negativity or harshness. Just an honest first impression.

New Song with accoustic

Something cool happening when the electric is first introduced which promises something great. Doesnt quite get there yet. The vocal will have to be the focal point and quite melodicaly interesting in some way.
Feels like it should break into something a bit more driving and heavier but doesnt.
A heap of potential for rearranging with a great vocal line though.

Song 2

Like the way its going at about 3:08, starts to come to life then with some nice building of tension which keeps its promise and releases well at 4:30 or there abouts.
Wasnt completely sold on the beginning but the last half is full of potential.

Traffic and Weather

Got me drawn in immediately, nice going! :)
Got some good groove happening, feel the groove could get a little deeper though with more work.
------------------------------------------------

Over all I feel you guys are pretty good players with a lot of as yet un-tapped potential.
You could do something great with your talent, or you might go the way of many musos before you. Depends how open your minds are I guess and to what extent you are willing to face your fears and plough head long through them.
Same as anything in life! :)

The songs still need a lot of work, restructuring and polishing. That will only be possible when you decide on a vocalist to front the band with a shit load of confidence and ability.

When you have that I would see the song structures changing quite radically to work as a whole with the vocal.

Please remember guys that this is merely my 2 cents worth and these comments are made on the very first listen to all the songs. This is how I approach a lot of new production projects though as many of the best idea's come instinctively before any bias through knowing the artists comes into play. Its hard to say you want your baby to undergo cosmetic surgery! :)

I have deliberately made no mention of production and sounds as I am quite aware this is only a demo. Comments are made only on songs and structure from someone you dont know and aint nobody, but who has spent a year or 12 in the industry as an engineer and producer and knows what I like through hearing and working with a very diverse range of artists.

Playing live as much as possible will make huge improvements in all area's as it does for all acts. Use your audience to gauge what does and does not work.

Above all I hope you guys continue having fun with what you are doing and best of luck taking it wherever you may go!
All the best! :)

PS: Thank you to Jaymie for alerting me to this thread and your music! ;)

Ahh, not me music love...jurst thot your expertise could give these gents a go around. :)

^Um...the thread is sticky. You don't need to bump it. Also, I've been slacking on giving feedback. I'll try to get to a couple more tonight. :)

Catish:
The different layers in the Carnival Song are really cool. You guys listen and play very well off of each other.

Mobius:
A tight sound with great dynamics -- some nice softs and louds. Also, everyone plays their instruments extremely well.

time pertmitting, I will listen to the others...

Mobius, some tight playing overall. I wish I could hear more piano, however, it gets drowned out by the bass and the guitar. Lots of slick run downs and changes. My advice would be to make the piano more prominent. Also, your bass player sounds very competant. Why, then, the muddy tone? He should clean up his tone a bunch so he'd sound much more articulate, and therefore, be much more effective.

HP, wow you can rip on that acoustic. I'd love to hear some more stuff.

Hey ya'll,

Here's a song a just started workin' on recently. This is just a draft, and it needs another part at least, and more lyrics, but I'd love some of yer reactions/suggestions...I'm a bit stuck in place with it at the moment.

my song

Last edited:
I wish this thread was more active...anyone got some stuff in the works they want feedback on? I'm willing to listen, even if it is only half finished/started. I really think we could help each other out alot if we were a bit more active in this thread.

Why the fuck do I listen to the voices.... Trying to play guitar, trying to be much better than I am....

Awesome lyrics Cat.

I've only just stumbled across this thread and I have no real musical cred, but I really like your voice (almost inaudible though it was in that track - I assume better mixing will fix that). You sound to me a little like Kurt Cobain in his more relaxed songs.... and that's a beautiful thing believe me.

There's a great little hook in that song and I think it has real potential. :)

eh, i forgot about this thread man, sorry

^agreed, great song, i really like it!

perhaps search for a more serious amateur music board to post your work in if this one isnt so serious or you arent getting the amount of feedback you'd like...and deserve :)

Well thanks for the kind words guys, but as far as other mor emusic related boards...well I was sorta hoping that we more psychedelically minded folks would band together and start something up. We hear things differently sometimes, and most music boards are clogged with folks who just don't care about what oter people are doing. No love. I respect the way alot of the folks on BL seem to think by reading their posts...I was hoping that same level of conversation could be applied to creative endevours by psychedelic peeps. It seems to be working here in the art galleries to a certain extent...I am glad for the feedback you guys have given me tho...everthing helps the process along.

Unfortunately sweetheart you've stumbled across a board in which people are lovely and understanding... but 90% electronic music fans. Even still. Okay - perhaps 70-80% now. (thank fucking christ for this forum)

Give it a chance ;) ps. btw... even my boyfriend was impressed by your track. He's a guitarist.

Welp just to affirm that I am a glutton for attention, here's another one I am working on recently that I'd love some suggestions as far what kinda vocals and or rhythmic componets folks might imagine over the guitar tracks. I am frustrated with the way I have been trying to fill this one out...

again, if anyone else wants comments, show me yer stuff! I want to hear it all!

(excuse my mania)

Paranoia

Catfish, I haven't had a chance to check out your most recent stuff. I'll do it tomorrow while I'm at work. If anyone had problems downloading any of my band's stuff before, I have new hosting space and an actual domain. 8o

I just threw up a picture I took and a temporary design until I get the graphics for the new site. There's also a preliminary logo and some mp3s. The new track we just recorded will be up soon...as soon as mixing gets done.

Again, any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.