• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

injecting alcohol

toolazy2think

Bluelighter
inspired by this thread, specifically this post by infinity:

you guys would be surprised at how many people on BL bang alcohol. unfortunately, many OD posters never post here (although they might like to) because they think it will make them look "unprofessional" in OD - oh well

I've always assumed that this was a very dangerous practice, and would be incredibly damaging to your veins and circulatory system in general, but I could be wrong. Are the health risks as great as I've always assumed, or is it just another myth. Obviously there are still some risks involved, I'm just questioning how much.

Also If there are as many of you out there as infinity seems to imply, how different are the effects from just drinking alcohol (i'm not planning on trying this, never injected yet, just curious.)

im curious too, im searching around bluelight to see what i comeup with.. i'saw a Steve-O dvd and one of the things he did was set up an iv drip with alcohol in i think it was vodka.

yeah I saw that, it was on steve-o-video, I'm interested in the damage it does to the body mostly though.
I've done searches but i've never found any true discussion of the practice, nothing objective at least. Just some people condeming it calling it stupid and a few people saying they've done it.

If I remember correctly Poohbear in The Saltan Sea used some sort of alcohol to dissolve heroin for IV...

I can't remember ever hearing of it being done, but is that a common practice?
If so then I'm sure some sort of research has been done to assess the risks.

I heard many horror stories about shooting alcohol and how it is so intense but I've shot 50ccs(I believe they are 1 cc needles regular diabetic needle) and felt not a damn thing.I had shot 80 proof popov vodka.

As they say, curiosity killed the cat. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying your a pussy for not being hardcore enough to inject some everclear. On the contrary, I too think its a bad idea. Unless, of course, you need an alcohol to solve some particular drug to inject. Otherwise, straight injecting alcohol to get drunk doesnt really sound all too bright.

There was a thread on this recently, a little more crude than this one but it touched upon the idea.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?threadid=102743&r=20

I strongly advise against this, one of the chemical proceedures to kill off nerves is the injection of pure alcohol into the nerve. One of the dangers of this proceedure is that the alcohol travels and causes further injury to surrounding tissue. Direct injection of pure alcohol into a vein gives a large dose with potentially neurotoxic effects an unfiltered path to anywhere you have nerve tissue. It's your body, but the risk doesn't seem worth the payoff to me.

Jesus fucking christ, I thought people shooting pills was a bad idea. This has to be up with huffing gas as the all time bad idea.

Alcohol is meant be drunk. Not shot or snorted although I suppose you could stick the bottle up your ass and hang upside down.

I have never injected ethanol for the purpose of getting high. But i have used lab grade ethanol for dissolving certain insolubles for injection. But, I usually mix it with saline, and end up injecting at most 20 units of alcohol. The Salton sea is in the desert in southern california near mexico. The heroin they would be injecting would be tar. Tar does dissolve well in alcohol, but water works with some convincing.........

Alcohol is still a poison however you administer it, groovee. I have shot it twice while completely sober for the sole purpose of getting drunk without having to waste time, precious vodka etc, and 5ML seemed to be good enough when I had no tolerance to it.

Now I only usually do it whilst drunk, infact I had the idea of shooting some to add to the stupor, whilst drunk (eheh.) and it seems to add to the feeling, but I just shoot 1 or 2ML when I'm not quite as drunk as I need to be...

It usually leaves nasty brown and green marks over the injection site, which of course disappear over time.

In other news I haven't actually been able to afford alcohol recently, and I've also been busy with work, so the last time I drank and shot some was Saturday... I probably won't be buying any this weekend either as my money has more important things to be spent on.

I'll write a trip report sometime? Heheh. %)

You get those nasty bruises because you didnt inject correctly. You went through the vein or poked around too much or some of the substance , if not all, missed your vein. But when you shoot right there is no mark but a scab barely visible that you can brush off.

The stronger the better, but perhaps a good way to prepare alcohol for slamming is to get the alcohol in a container, stick in an ice cube, and freeze it. Alcohol freezes at a very low temperature, so all the non-alcohol stuff would freeze to the ice cube. There you have pure alcohol. It may not be a bad idea to dumb it down with some water before injection.

Never done it but considering it. The drunkeness shouldnt be too much different as alcohol hits within the minute as it passes through mucus membrane, but I'm sure theres a very convincing rush as it hits you as injections tend to.

once, in my reckless youth, i was given 60 mscontin pills and as you all know they dont dissolve well in water. i crushed it and poured some everclear (190 proof grain alcohol) in the spoon, and it looked like the fillers stayed solid and the good stuff dissolved instantly. it was a 60mg pill. anyway, i filtered it through cotton and im'ed it. the sting and burn of the alcohol was very uncomfortable, but the high seemed to be as if all the morphine had gone in. it seemed to work well. becauce the burning sensation was so unpleasant, i went back to eating the pills after that, but i always wondered if anyone else had tried it.

^^you say it "looked like the binders stayed solid, and good stuff dissolved..."

How did you know it was the morphine that dissolved and not taht the "solid stuff" was the morphine and it was the fillers that you were shooting up...it "looking like it" doesnt sound like sound scientific evidence...

It usually leaves nasty brown and green marks over the injection site, which of course disappear over time.

You get those nasty bruises because you didnt inject correctly.

;) Maybe it's because he said he's been drunk the last few times he's done it.

Those marks aren't because I've missed. I missed a shot once, yes whilst drunk, and most of my elbow turned brown with a patch of green on the inside, not a tiny circular spot over the injection site. Although these marks only seem to appear over the large vein in my elbow. If I inject it anywhere else there isn't a mark. 8(

After you suck up the alcohol, it's wise to make sure there isn't any on the actual needle, as it'll cause pain and bruising when you put it into your skin and vein.

Why would someone IM ms contin. Not only does it defeat the purpose of injection (to cross the blood brain barrier), shooting ms contin can cause a muscle infection, and its actually safer to IV it in most cases.

In anycase, small amounts of ethanol can be IVed fine, many IV preperations like ampules and vials of drugs like diazepam contain a good amount of ethanol, and they are used in the hospital ALL the time. There is no doubt a small amount of ethanol in a injection preperation is ok to IV, but shooting alot of alcohol with the intent to get high is dumb, although i know some hard-core dope users bang large amounts of things like vodka when they couldnt score. That is definately bad for you, and i wouldnt be suprised it if bruised you. But shooting half a CC of diluted ethanol when preparing a shot is not going to pose a serious problem.......

IM injections

Why would someone IM ms contin. Not only does it defeat the purpose of injection (to cross the blood brain barrier), shooting ms contin can cause a muscle infection, and its actually safer to IV it in most cases.

I have to disagree. Nothing other than injecting directly into cerebrospinal fluis will get it directly past the blood-brain barrier. The point in injecting morphine (be it IV, IM or SC) is to prevent it having to pass through the liver (and be metabolized) first. about 60-80% of oral morphine is metabolized first pass through the liver (and everything that is absorbed from the intestines ends up in blood that goes directly to the liver via the hepatic portal vein). The only difference between the two methods of injection is the speed it gets to the brain.
Also, the contents of MS contin do not cause muscle infections, bacteria do. It's the hassle of dissolving the morphine sulphate out of the wax its mixed with that gives plenty of oppertunity for bacteria to get included into the solution for injection.

And atrain, using alcohol with MS contin dissolves a small amount of the wax. Once that comes into contact with blood, the wax will come out of solution as an emulsion. If enough of these microscopic particles come into contact and stick together, you've got something equivalent to a blood clot floating around in your blood, just waiting to block a blood vessel (an won't respond to the normal treatment to dissolve a blood clot - heparin sodium). If it happens to block a vessel in your brain. lungs or heart... do I need to go on?

If you want proof, watch what happens when you add surgical spirits to water (it has a fat, not a wax dissolved in it, but it shows what happens very well).

And finally, yes some injections doo contain a small amount of ethanol (in things like diazepam, it's used to stabilize the emusion that contains the diazepam), but what is important is the concentration of alcohol. In the diazepam case, the concentration is below 2%. ANY alcohol soln above 20% will kill the first cells it comes into contact (that's why it's used to preserve biological specimens)

Last edited:
ChrisC: it takes over 5ml usually to get any desirable effect. 0.9ML won't really do anything, unless you're already drunk that is, in which case it'll make you slightly more drunk.

It would be interesting to see what kind of damage a very highly concentrated solution of ethanol would cause, if vodka and whisky containing %37.5 to %40 can hurt so and leave such marks. I don't think I'd even try that... Although it is tempting...

I'll probably be buying a bottle of something cheap tomorrow (wages), most likely scotch whisky as I rather enjoy it.

Last edited: