Punk Fuckin Rock

Yo.

Can some of you all with the big knowledge throw down the names of some seminal tunes?

Give me your skinnies.

:)

^ 'Know your Product' by The Saints is as close to perfect as a punk rock song ever got.

The Saints are criminally under appreciated, especially by the whole lagwagon/NOFX/Bad Religion/propaghandie/etc. set.

KemicalBurn said:
^have you chainspotting? listen to their cover of tainted love. very good :D

Yeah my High School radio played it to death when it was released. I finished school in 2000 and I'm still not over it.

Fuck the school dj was a retard. I took him the single for why don't you get a job so he could play beheaded (The updated Beheaded is the reason I bought the single) and the fucker played why don't you get a job. Man that guy was a loser. And a cunt. Fuck I hated that guy...

I really regret not breaking into school one night and trashing the fuck out of that radio room... Never played decent music anyway...

Seeing as this is a punk thread and noone has mentioned them, I am going to make the obligatory ramones reference...

Gabba gabba hey!

Old school punk is where its at, not that newer garbage. For punk to sound good, it has to sound like it was recorded in a garage or something.

The Misfits
Minor Threat
Dead Kennedys

lol..yay

a lot of ppl on bluelight do love punk ...... its just a shame noone ever starts any threads!!!....meh

i remmeber i started a A-Z of punk rock thread ages ago........lol

yes...i 'grew up' on punk rock, its where my heart lies......even though now i'm into loads of other stuff, from psy-trance to power metal.....punk still has a shit load of nostalgia value for me!

DEAD KENNEDYS....rah!

I like music that is both pleasing to the ears and technically impressive, I have yet to hear ONE punk band that is impressive in terms of musicianship...

^It's not about complexity. It's about the message and the energy.

I grew up on a staple diet of punk from a young age when my sister introduced me to DKs and The Clash (thanks sis!);)
I then started to branch into other styles and listened to some bands such as-
The Vandals
Good Riddance
Sick Of It All
Operation Ivy
Green Day (really early stuff, before Dookie)
One Inch Punch
Gilgamesh
NOFX
Pennywise
Voodoo Glow Skulls
Less Than Jake
DFL
Propagandhi
Snuff
Specials
Madness

Just to name a few ;)

I do agree with some ppl about the so-called 'punk' of today... it's all so samey and poppy! :X Just because some of the band members have some attitude, tattoos and disregard for their equipment doesn't make them punk! I'm sick of hearing half of these bands who get airplay just because their alot more marketable and seem to be cool.... what happens to the other bands out there that are so much better musically? they just seem to fall to the wayside and no-one really gives a fuck except for the fans </end rant> :p
Sorry... got a little carried away, the situation just shits me...
Anyway, I have branched out to lot of other different music styles now and don't just like to pidgeon-hole myself to one genre.... I'm enjoying listening to other styles %)

Yes I understand that its about message and energy, but it seems to me that not only are they not technically impressive but they are actually sub-par musicians, which bugs me.

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. Do you know how to play an instrument? If so, have you ever tried to play a punk song? If you can't play, then you definitely don't know what you're talking about.

Not only is it challenging to play as fast as some punk can get, but very hard to hit some of the changes. Then you have bands like NOFX who blend ska/reggae with punk. Maybe you're just not paying enough attention.

Noodle said:
Yo.

Can some of you all with the big knowledge throw down the names of some seminal tunes?

Give me your skinnies.

:)

Heheh. "Seminal."

Oh. Wait.

Try these songs out:

Old Stuff:
Iggy Pop - I Wanna Be Your Dog
Velvet Underground - Waitin For My Man
Ramones - Blitzkreig Bop; I Wanna Be Sedated
The Clash - This is Radio Clash; London Calling
Dead Kennedys - Pull My Strings; Holiday in Cambodia
The Exploited - Sex & Violence

Newer Stuff:
Pennywise - Nothing; Bro Hymn
Green Day - Longview; Welcome to Paradise
Propaghandi - Stick The Fucking Flag Up Your Ass, You Motherfucker
Bad Religion - 21st Century Digital Boy
NoFX - Bob; Kids of the K-Hole
Offspring - Bad Habit; Ignition
Planet Smashers - Too Much Attitude

That's a fairly incomplete cross-section of the stuff I like. But it's a start.

Check out this site for my hometown's local punk scene in the early 80's:

http://www.chrwradio.com/lma.html

Look up these bands: The Demics; 63 Monroe; The Regulators

And here's a brief history of London, Canada's Punk Rock scene; this town wasn't know as "Speed City" for its quick economic growth:

http://londonpunkrock.kicks-ass.org/scarchives/

As far as people arguing about technical know-how and talent, the whole punk rock thing started because people wanted to prove that ANYONE could express themselves musically, regardless of talent or ability.

This isn't to say that there aren't some very talented and technically adept musicans making punk rock music.

Here's some newer bands that I think are sort of a progression from punk rock:
The Mars Volta
Coheed and Cambria
Refused

Discuss.

Last edited:
The A-Z of Punk Rock....the punk rock Dictionary!
check that thread out.

lol I still have that list saved on my computer.....it's ginormous!

Yes I understand that its about message and energy, but it seems to me that not only are they not technically impressive but they are actually sub-par musicians, which bugs me.

LMAO!!

You've COMPLETELY missed the entire point......

sub-par muscians, indeed, punk's all about bands who were around in the 70's; a bunch of kids who couldn't really play there instruments but were pissed off at the current social climate and so needed to rebel...music was an expression of all that, a vent......This created a unique , extremely energetic, and very fun genre called 'punk rock'!

Horay!