Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Poppy Seed - Im HIGH!!!

MidnightRambler

Bluelighter
i recently came across a poppy seed recipe.,using 300g's which states you can get high from them. cooking them properly .using a certain method.dont know if its legal to say how to do so ,so i wont. if anyone has done this could you explain the effects good bad ,e.t.c

some1 told me that mixing poppy seeds with pineapple juice gets you fucked up.. something to do with something in the poppy seeds reacting with something in the pinapple juice and making some acid or soething??? im not really sure.. i was wired when i was told about it!

Dunno... but from what I've heard and read, poppy seeds do not carry a very active amount of opium in them. I have heard of many people attempting to get high from the seeds and felt nothing but sick to their guts.

Hey, wouldn't you think if we could all get nicely high from poppy seeds, we'd all be doing it already?
But, I respect those that are just curious... just expect to be majorly disappointed. =)

If you've ever seen an opium poppy, once the petals fall off there is a green bud which if you cut it, excretes a white liquid, which you can scrape off and dry and process to get you high.

As far as I know the poppy seeds, which are inside the pod don't have anything which would get you high. I could be wrong though. Probably best to ask in the Other Drugs forum.

^^ They are actually potent and a nice tea can be made with them. Just search for poppy tea. Of course the supermarket variety wont get you high, they have been processed to get rid of any opium. You need an unprosessed poppy pod which contains the seeds, these can be obtained via the internet.

I just did some reading about poppy seed bought from the supermarket. It seems that there is a small codiene, morphine content in some seed varities. Some suppliers apparently wash the seeds. I just did a simple extraction of about 300 g of seed and am quite high. Not something Im going to do regularly though as I nearly puked toward the end from the taste.

Sounds pretty lame but feels at least as good as 30 mg of pharmacutical morphine snorted!

Any feed back on this? Dangers, experiences etc.

I didnt mention the brand or location I bought the seeds from so Im not breaking the guidlines am I?

thanks for the educational and "witty" reply you tool. Try something more constructive if you realy feel the need to comment in the future.

The seed was put in a large bottle with about 300 ml of liquor (fortified wine, muscat to be exact). This was alowed to soak for 10-15 mins with the lid on. 200 ml or so of hot but not boiling water was added, this was just enough to cover the organic mater. The mixture was agitated for 10 minutes or so then filtered the liquid into another container.
More warm water was added to the remaining organic mater and allowed to soak. This was then filtered and the step repeted once more.

The resulting liquid was then allowed to cool and a small amount consumed. Very bad aftertaste was enough to make me reconsider the whole idea, it was then mixed with some coke and the remainder sculled. 30 Minutes later I started to feel it.
The peak did not reach its full intencity until after I had posted the thread. I would consider the high to be subjectivly stronger than 500 mg of codine, I have a reasonable tollerence and would recomend others to start with much lower doses if they realy needed to try this

Yeah poppy seeds are fucking awesome if you can find the right, unwashed and potent brands. I have been doing it for awhile and know just about every good brand, and not so good brand. My tolerance did shoot up quite abit, but i never felt like i could be doing some high-level opiates that could get me addicted. Unfortunately i was wrong - i guess when i was dosing, i got a pretty good nod going on for a Very long time - sometimes the high lasted a good 8+ hours. Because the half-life is so long, it can build up tolerance and cause withdrawals very quickly. Its best to keep it to a once a week thing.

Yeah i always thought about 30mg morphine was equal to about 400-500mg of seeds but lately i have come to question that figure. Just last week i had my wisdom teeth removed, and asked for some stronger pain killers than Panadeine Forte or Tramadol - so the doc. prescribed me some Endone (Oxycodone 5mg) Basically i thought i had reached the jackpot - having read about how good the effects are on the net, i felt i was in for some good times. I initially started with 20mg but felt ABSOLUTELY nothing. I figured my tolerance was above this, so the following day i tried 40mg, which once again did nothing, so about 30mins after, i had another 40mg and got a very mild and undesirable warm feeling - nothing of the beautiful effects i was expecting. Could it be that just from poppy seeds, my tolerance is that high? I cant imagine they are that potent, but i guess this proves otherwise. I dont get any withdrawals that go beyond the help of a couple of tramadol when i stop using seeds, so i think my habit isnt that bad, so what gives with the oxycodone then??!!???

My only theory is the thebaine levels in poppy seeds. Maybe because there is a high level of this alkaline in seeds it is effecting the tolerance and uptake of oxycodone - a compound that is derived from thebaine. Who knows, maybe some out there has an answer. It might just be that my body does not absorb oxycodone very well, but that seems highly unlikely.
Thanks.

If you know where Chinese immigrants first settled in your area, then depending upon what's happened since, you may find opium is still growing wild. I've successfully found wild opium growing in Aus in different areas using this lead. The bulbs can then be boiled down before drinking the extract.

But care is needed. During the seventies, 2 mates of my brother continually raided the gardens round town - then the neighboring towns -until I suggested the weedy paddocks on the edge of town where an asian family had previously lived.

Both these guys began boiling extracting and injecting. Within a year or so, both became serious heroin users, and some 30 years later, the one who's still alive said recently he still raids the gardens when moving to a new town. I think it's the added excitement/ danger of getting caught that keepz him running flat stick through a back yard - dog bite scars have done little to deter :\

If you really want lots of seeds, find a sympathetic baker and order a sack. But heed the warnings of the first poster. Opium is addictive - more than many people first realize - however it's consumed. Also be aware of the varying strength of seed varieties as twonk outlined. While in NZ in 94, a news report detailed another death due to drinking juice from boiled poppy. I don't know about nowadays, but at that time it was legal to grow, possess and even sell opium poppy bulbs - for decoration and dried flower arrangements only, of course =D

I dont think I will be doing it again, I just got out of bed with a MAJOR headache. I couldnt sleep and was VERY itchy until about 6:30 this morning. At that stage I decided the opoides should have worn off enough for it to be marginaly safe to take 1 mg of clonazapam and a glass of wine. After that I finaly slept.

Im aware of the addiction pottential but dont think I will try it again so am not considering it a problem.

mongman said:
I dont think I will be doing it again, I just got out of bed with a MAJOR headache. I couldnt sleep and was VERY itchy until about 6:30 this morning. At that stage I decided the opoides should have worn off enough for it to be marginaly safe to take 1 mg of clonazapam and a glass of wine. After that I finaly slept.

Im aware of the addiction pottential but dont think I will try it again so am not considering it a problem.

I get the same reaction from poppy seeds, so that is why I have stopped myself. I have had opium many times in India (eating), and smoked opium a few times in Thailand, and it felt MUCH better (and cleaner) than the poppy seed 'high', and I did not get a headache.

I am guessing they put some chemical, or use a chemical to clean the poppy seeds, and that is what gives me the headache. I also got bad shivers once taking poppy seeds, dont know what that was from.

Dr Beat: My initial impression as it came on was that it was going to be a nice clean high but your right it did have a dirty feeling to it compard with opium resin and parmacutical morphine. I was atributing it to the thebaine content which is aparently very large in seeds, I was also atributing the 9+ hour high to this aswell. Anyone know for sure?

Yeah its from the high thebaine levels found in seeds. Thebaine makes you feel pretty damn horrible - headches, nausea, anxious, speedy etc but thankfully there are seeds that do come across as being very clean with minimal amounts of thebaine. I know that most poppy seeds in this country are taken from the plantations down in Tazzie - where the largest licit cultivation of opium poppies occurs. And in particular, the Tazzie farmers have been very apt at creating strains of poppies that are high in thebaine levels - due to the fact that most of the opiate based painkillers now on the market (oxycodone etc) are derived from thebaine. But, fortunately enough, with abit of testing you can come across seeds that are much cleaner, with less thebaine and more morphine. You can definately notice the difference in potency and feeling across the different brands, and even the different batches - i guess there farm sources must change around quite abit.

Thanks for the post twonk, do you have any references on this subject you could share with us for further reading on thebaine in commercial poppyseeds?

BigTrancer :)

The various company websites would have some info. Tas Alkaloids:

Tasmanian Alkaloids produces two types of CPS: One has as its main component Morphine, the main component of the other is Thebaine.

Morphine is converted into Codeine. Thebaine is converted into a range of strong analgesics such as Oxycodone and Buprenorphine.

The story (PDF) of Norman, Tas Alkaloids and the development of thebaine producing poppies:

Tasmanian Alkaloids has a strong emphasis on chemical and agricultural research,with one of their biggest coups coming from the development of a morphine free poppy capable of producing enhanced amounts of thebaine.

Couldn't find the original, but this looks like it could be a good read: The Tasmanian Poppy Industry: A Case Study of the Application of Science and Technology

I'm not sure how all this relates to bakery seeds, presumably they come from the same source. A friend who worked at Tas Alkaloids a few years ago was quite excited about thebaine.

[ Edit: fixed link. ]

Last edited:
twonk the effects I got included all those you described, I was unable to sleep for many hours and had a headache for some time. Interesting as the seeds I consumed, infact the only brand I have seen so far, say they have been imported!