• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

How Do You Take Your 5-HTP? (A 5-HTP Success Story!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by TheDEA.org
Hmm, perhaps I should revise that part. In my own experience, using fixed doses of MDMA powder from the same lot but varying the timing and amount of the 5-HTP pre-load, taking both at once produced an obvious blunting of effects (disappointingly so.) Taking the 5-HTP an hour in advance still seemed to cause a minor blunting, but I couldn't discern a difference at two hours (if anything, there may have been some potentiation.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^ I rolled on July 4th (the fireworks were a great lightshow)
and I did notice the blunting of the roll when 5htp was taken first,
wierd cuz last week it was an awesome roll (same pills)

I guess I'll just take it everyday b4 bed like I used to and not
b4 I roll but after!

I have rolled since back in 97, and when 5HTP first came out we all jumped on it as it seemed to make sense 5HTP-->Seritonin, though I have never noticed a real major difference either way.

Now, you can get yourself real touchy and sick if you take too much right before, and I have had more than one occasion where up came everything as a result of taking too much. I think the key is to take it regularly for a while before you roll and by simple fact of having more seritonin in your system things will work out better.

As always, planning planning planning!!!!

- undave

5-HTP

I've been rolling every saturday since last november with the exception of about 7 weeks (2 separate 3 or 4 week breaks). I'm a bit like you - I work, have a day job all week and I need to be very alert during my work. I also body build, and sometimes I bodybuild during my roll (safe, simple excercises such as arm curls, and streching) - the best workouts I've ever had have been under the influence of MDMA! Though I'm very careful not to over do it.
I don't really notice any side effects and I take 5-htp every day starting the day after the roll. I generally take it before bed time and sometimes again at lunch early in the week (mon or tue).

I've tried pre-loading with inconsistant results. So, I have no opinion on this yet.
I take 5-htp capsules (50mg) each day, sometimes twice a day. I always take the 5-htp with vitamin B6 (very cheap, it works so why not?). I'm sure the B6 helps. If I take the 5-htp and B6 every day during the week, by thursday I feel totally recovered. Top up some more on friday and I'm ready for saturday! And boy do I roll pretty hard. I will also go through 500 - 600mg pure MDMA on the saturday night through to 6am or so (4 or 5 doses usually) :). I'm trying to reduce that though, to around 300mg or so but it's just too much fun. %)
I don't notice any decrease in roll intensity with each passing week. It would appear I've long since formed an equilibrium between rate of depletion and rate of recovery. But, I must emphasise the word "appear" because I am open to all suggestions. I must also say that I usually take it at home so I'm not up dancing all night - though that may change soon. I usually take it and listen to music - maybe that makes it a bit easier to recover, I don't know yet.:\

I've since bumped it up to 300mgs a day divided in three doses and 300 after rolling!

I guess more is better than to little and the amount im taking is no where near enough to cause any harm (serotonin syndrome).

Isn't taking daily doses of 5-HTP just like being on an anti depressant? I'm wondering whether there are any "come down" effects if you stop taking.

There's no noted withdrawl from 5-HTP if taken regularly.

Some studies suggest 5-HTP has an antidepressant basis, but its unlikely to be of use in severe depression.

Lol 2 hits of E and loads of 5htp is my standard roll, and i roll n roll n roll heha

Is 5-htp herbal? Chemical? I'm kinda in the same boat as quiet roar: I don't like taking antidepressants, but at the same time, it really does seem to produce a pleasant mood. Can you compare this stuff with taking a vitamin? Or with taking a mood enhancer?

No, it's not an antidepressant, and does not affect up or down regulation of serotonin recpetors like SSRIs or TCA's.

It is just a precursor to serotonin, and if not used for that is just excreted, it can't force increased serotonin production.(it is pulled into serotonin production rather than pushing the same rxn).

5-HTP is a mood stabilizer (at least according to the packaging on my bottle) and it is a natural supplement. My 50mg 5-HTP are derived from Griffonia simplicifolia seeds, thus making it all natural.

I used this stuff for about 4 days and noticed a very marked improvement in my mood. I decided to stop dosing as it seemed to be making me very sweatt:p

I only take 2 of my 50's of 5-HTP (so 100mgs total)and it works well.

I don't pre-load, just take some right when I'm coming down.

And a mulitvitamin (I take them anyways regardless of rolling or not).

Heck, when my bp meds ran out once I took some 5-HTP in its place, and it worked really well at smoothing out my moods and serotonin levels.

it saved my life!

5-htp is the best thing i have ever discovered in the form of a pill.It really is my "happy pill".

I started taking 5-HTP (100 mg twice a day) back in February,since my friend reccomended it to me as an anti-depressant,mood enhancer,and appetite curver.I had also heard along the grape vine that 5-htp helped your roll.So,i did my research on the pill and found what i needed to,and it sounded wonderful...
Two days after i had began taking it,i became incrediply happy and content with life.My self confidence boosted,i was genuinely happy,and i was sleeping MUCH better than i was in the passed.Every day i just felt better and better.

In my case,i suffer from agoraphobia,anxiety/panic attack and i'm borderline...so i'm an increibly unstable little girl here *he he*,but when taking 5-htp i could control myself MUCH better than on any prescription pil(prozac,effexor,welbutrin,celexa..and many others).Most prescription pills make me feel artificially happy,if i feel ANYTHING at all off them.But 5-htp made me feel genuinely,purely,and truly happy with life.All my friends and family were telling me how much i had improved....and that's when my jouenry started.
I started reccomending it to all my friends and family,giving them websites to look up information,and helping spread the good word.I had a few responses-all good ones though-and i plan to make my word strong.

Why take anti-depressants that are prescribed to you,with chemicals and other things that might have side-effects...when you can go natural? :D

huntmich said:
Is 5-htp herbal? Chemical? I'm kinda in the same boat as quiet roar: I don't like taking antidepressants, but at the same time, it really does seem to produce a pleasant mood. Can you compare this stuff with taking a vitamin? Or with taking a mood enhancer?

You odn't like antidepressants but you have no problem with drugs like MDMA which dramaticly effect the exact same brain chemistry? That straight up doesn't make sence to me....

*Edit I dunno how I even found this thread

I have been doing e for over a year now quite frequently nearly every weekend. I have had a few months breaks here and there. I am really interested in 5-HTP I think it could help me recover faster, boost my roll and keep me in overall a better mood when not rolling. Are you able to purchase this from pharmacy's in Canada? Any one know an estimate of what the price would be?

50mg everyday before going to bed, 200mg the day after the roll... works great for me too :D

lloydx said:
I have been doing e for over a year now quite frequently nearly every weekend. I have had a few months breaks here and there. I am really interested in 5-HTP I think it could help me recover faster, boost my roll and keep me in overall a better mood when not rolling. Are you able to purchase this from pharmacy's in Canada? Any one know an estimate of what the price would be?

in province of quebec, it is sold under the brand name Swiss, and u can buy it at Brunet (drug store), or at natural supplements store.... costed me 17,89$ (+ taxes) for a pack of 60 25mg capsules...

In my experience, 5-HTP only helps if you take it EVERY day, regardless of whether or not you're rolling that day. I take 100mg at night, and I haven't rolled in months. It relaxes me a bit much, so I don't take any in the morning.

You MUST also take 5-HTP with food for proper absorption. You don't want to ruin your oral roll, so dose the 5-HTP with only a small amount of food ~3 hours before your roll. I don't bother with post-loading. The comedown is never a problem for me, because I don't do meth pills. 5-HTP won't help with those.

You won't notice a withdrawal from 5-HTP, because the drug is only a precursor to serotonin (5-HT). Your body stays in the habit of creating the 5-HT on its own. I get my 5-HTP from GNC, sold under the brand name 'Natrol,' in bottles of 30 100mg capsules @$15.