• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

How Do You Take Your 5-HTP? (A 5-HTP Success Story!)

Callum

Ex-Bluelighter
How Do You Take Your 5-HTP?

About 2 months ago I started getting burned out,
I didn't realize it at first and thought it was just due to weak pills.
Then my package of 5-htp ordered came in and I started reading up on it a bit
and started taking them on Monday, this is how I dosed:

200 Milligrams Before Bed Everyday,
200 Milligrams After Roll.

After about three days of taking the 5-HTP I noticed an improvement in mood,
I was alot happier and seemed more motivated to do things, where before everything
seemed kinda dull.

Anyway, Saturday comes by and I'm looking forward to my weekly roll so I took my 5-HTP, got to the club and popped my pill thinking next time I stocked up I'd need to get some real good tabs, so 45mins go by and I notice my roll is coming on alot stronger than usual and within 1hr I am rolling my ass off, like the first times you rolled, that huge rush of serotonin,
the extreme uphoria, the love!:p 3hrs later I took another half and repeated again and the rushes just kept coming! One of the best rolls of my life!

YAY FOR 5-HTP! If you all aren't taking it, think you're burned out, or lost the magic please fucking try it, I don't believe that in my 2yrs of rolling that I never bought this stuff! (IM RAMBLING!)

Anyway how much 5-HTP do you guys take?
And How has it worked for you?

Last edited:
well i've only rolled twice, and i'm about to roll my 3rd time tomorrow. i decided to pre and post with 5HTP this time. i'll let you know if there's a difference.

this may sound like a really dumb question, but would it be better to start taking 5HTP later on down the road so you can kind of "bring back the magic"?

As I have said in a huge number of threads before, many people find that preloading within a few hours of taking a pill substantially mutes the experience. It works for some, but not for most.

The HIGHroller said:
well i've only rolled twice, and i'm about to roll my 3rd time tomorrow. i decided to pre and post with 5HTP this time. i'll let you know if there's a difference.

this may sound like a really dumb question, but would it be better to start taking 5HTP later on down the road so you can kind of "bring back the magic"?

WHY LOSE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE???

TAKEN FROM THEDEA.ORG

How should I use 5-HTP?

In the context of using MDMA, I'd suggest one capsule two hours before taking the MDMA (entirely optional), another capsule when you come down, and one a day for several days afterwards. If you feel irritable or depressed, take one more capsule as needed.

Callum said:
TAKEN FROM THEDEA.ORG

How should I use 5-HTP?

In the context of using MDMA, I'd suggest one capsule two hours before taking the MDMA (entirely optional), another capsule when you come down, and one a day for several days afterwards. If you feel irritable or depressed, take one more capsule as needed.

TheDEA is an extremely knowledgeable person, but nevertheless anecdotal reports in innumerable threads on this board find that taking 5-HTP within a few hours (and sometimes even the day of) a pill mutes the experience. I took 5-HTP 3 hours before a pill and never hit the peak... and I knew these pills to be corkers... I had a whole bunch of them that worked fantastically every other time.

Some people do find it enhances the experience, but in my opinion you lose the high.

Why take it within a few hours anyway? If you take it during the week your brain's serotonin stores should be near optimal anyway. Taking extra 5-HTP isn't going to boost your brain's serotonin stores above their "maximum" by any serious amount for an extended period of time. Perhaps for a few hours, yes, but not in the long term. The amount of serotonin in your brain is determined (in the long) term by an equilibrium between serotonin creation and serotonin destruction by MAOA.

People have speculated on a number of reasons that 5-HTP mutes the roll. My personal favourite is a serotonergic excess... MDMA is not just a serotonergic drug -- it has a dopamine component too... too much serotonin may simply mask the euphoria of the dopamine. Other people have speculated that the increase in extracellular 5-HT levels from the 5-HTP may trigger the production of more MAOA, or alternatively induce receptor downregulation. No-one is really sure...

From memory some of the 5-HT receptors are inhibitory, though I've got no idea as to their impact on dopamine release.

Think about taking 5-HTP with a SSRI -- a recipe for disaster.. People who try this often get a mild form of serotonin syndrome, and believe me thats nothing like a MDMA experience. You feel uncoordinated, your mind is clouded... not pleasant.

In summary: Taking it before works great for some people, but works detrimentally for others

^^^ Mine too. I would have to take 4 of them a day. The directions tell me to take one a day, however I take 2...one in the morning and one at night. I haven't even come close to losing my magic. So to answer the previous question, I wouldn't wait until you start losing the magic to start 5htp...especially when the stuff is such a good thing to take even if you don't roll.

anecdotal reports in innumerable threads on this board find that taking 5-HTP within a few hours (and sometimes even the day of) a pill mutes the experience.

Hmm, perhaps I should revise that part. In my own experience, using fixed doses of MDMA powder from the same lot but varying the timing and amount of the 5-HTP pre-load, taking both at once produced an obvious blunting of effects (disappointingly so.) Taking the 5-HTP an hour in advance still seemed to cause a minor blunting, but I couldn't discern a difference at two hours (if anything, there may have been some potentiation.)

People's metabolisms vary, of course...just my experience.

People have speculated on a number of reasons that 5-HTP mutes the roll.

I was told once upon a time that 5-HTP is taken up by the serotonin transporters, which would cause it to compete with MDMA. That may be incorrect; I can't offer a reference off-hand or even a clear memory of where the information came from. :)

My personal favourite is a serotonergic excess... MDMA is not just a serotonergic drug -- it has a dopamine component too... too much serotonin may simply mask the euphoria of the dopamine.

As fate would have it, activation of some serotonin receptors does inhibit dopamine release. Although increasing the serotonergic component of MDMA would change it's nature, I'm not sure it would have a large effect on the level of intoxication produced.

How would 5htp mute the experince??
I havent takein it yet so i dont know.
I do take vitiman c pills daily though 2000mg a day i try to get one in before every meal.
Dont know about anyone else but that really helps with my comedowns big time.
Ive been takeing vit c way before i started to roll so when i would roll with some friends they would wonder why my comedowns were so smooth...

I have a much better solution Callum? Don't roll every weekend! It is sooooooooooo hard on your brain! 5-HTP may be be helping you right now but down the road your brain will pay! Rolling once a month is plenty! Don't learn the hard way! :)

TheDEA.org said:
Hmm, perhaps I should revise that part. In my own experience, using fixed doses of MDMA powder from the same lot but varying the timing and amount of the 5-HTP pre-load, taking both at once produced an obvious blunting of effects (disappointingly so.) Taking the 5-HTP an hour in advance still seemed to cause a minor blunting, but I couldn't discern a difference at two hours (if anything, there may have been some potentiation.)

Hurrah!

steelraver said:
I have a much better solution Callum? Don't roll every weekend! It is sooooooooooo hard on your brain! 5-HTP may be be helping you right now but down the road your brain will pay! Rolling once a month is plenty! Don't learn the hard way! :)

Hey, I'm the light weight in my group, some of the other guys go 3days in a row!
We'll go out 4days a week Th-Sun and they'll be popping up almost every time.

Do you have any proof that once a week is soooo hard on the brain?
I've been doing it for 2yrs now, have a job, pay my own bills, eat healthy and work out religiously!
I have only noticed positive side effects from my XTC use(Permanent Damage By XTC Use Thread!)

How often do you roll?

I'd re-read that list. Some people have complained of irritability or memory problems.

Taken from: PERMANENT DAMAGE BY XTC USE THREAD!

(Effects of XTC on me)
For me habits that have started from rolling are I say 'I love you' entirely way to much, I can wiggle my eyes when I'm sober and I hug my homeboys way to much! Oh and my girl says I am way more "pationate in bed"

Glad to see, you've taken to the loading Callum. BTW like the new avatar.

Callum I am not trying to tell you what to do! I was only trying to help!

I only roll maybe once or twice a year? When I 1st started 6 yrs ago we would only roll 2-3 times a month.

You even said you were starting to get "burned out". That is your brain telling you to slow down! What are you going to do when you start to get burned out and the 5-HTP doesn't work anymore?

Don't get me wrong, rolling is alot of fun and I would love to feel that way everyday! All I am trying to say is that you and your friends will have a better time with the stuff the less you use it! :)

Callum said:
Hey, I'm the light weight in my group, some of the other guys go 3days in a row!
We'll go out 4days a week Th-Sun and they'll be popping up almost every time.

must be nice :)