Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Opium Poppy (Papaver somniferum) cultivation

mothershabooboo

Bluelighter
Ok, how hard is this relative to say, growing cacti?

What conditions does it absoloutely love? (e.g soil, sun, water, ferts)

Is it something that requires a lot of care and maintenence or can you plant seeds wait a few months and harvest?

P.S I know this is illegal, I'm just curious.

Re: Opium cultivation

mothershabooboo said:
Ok, how hard is this relative to say, growing cacti?

What conditions does it absoloutely love? (e.g soil, sun, water, ferts)

Is it something that requires a lot of care and maintenence or can you plant seeds wait a few months and harvest?

P.S I know this is illegal, I'm just curious.

I grow poppies as a hobby (not opium baring mind you!) so I can't speak for the opium varieties, but my poppies do best in full sun and in open soil. Growing in pots is not the best and they will never flower well if indoors (I have tried that in the frozen tundara that is North East USA where I currently live).

If the soil is good there is little need to fertilise but of course if one was trying to enhance opium production, ferts will only help.... may help in generating multiple seed pods per plant which I think the opium varieties can do too. Mine don't.

Hope this helps

P.S. If one was to grow the opium variety one would want to do it out of site too, they are quite distinct from less illegal types of poppies and would attract the attention of those in the know.

yield and affect?

I too am extremely interested in growing poppies in Australia for personal use. (I am sick to death with the quality of opiates in Sydney and the effort required to find a person who won't rip you off)

Presumably the seeds for the high yield varieties are banned but how would one normally go about procuring the seeds (that aren't illegal) for a variety that produces moderate amounts of opium. Are their seeds legally available able to produce acceptable quantities or could one grow large quantities of low yield varieties? Talking about quantities for a legal variety of poppies a plot 1metre by 1metre would yield how much opium?

From my understanding by harvesting the opium and washing it in water and simple solvents one can refine it into a smokable form. Is this assertion correct?

I haven't heard much about the effects of opium verse heroin/morphine but presumably if one is smoking it then a) the "rush should be fairly powerful whilst b) the effect and quality would be similar, if not identical to that of heroin? Although a misconception created by the Film industry is the affect of opium dream like in quality?

Lastly are growing poppies a easy task? I've heard its just like growing weeds.

Unfortunately, we are unable to state where to buy seeds as it is against th BL agreement in this forum. You can actually get them if you hunt around here in Australia.

You can throw a hand full over a fresh turned over garden any time during winter. They will remain dormant until they start to grow in mid-spring. They grow very easy.

Wait till the flowers fall off and the pod gets really big. Look at the stalk.....you will see that it starts to die....this is the time to cut the sides of the pod...do this at night and collect it in the morning.

Then get out the hot knives !!!!! Enjoy

Perhaps you may want to ask this question in the "Other drugs" forum as you may get a lot more answers.

this implies that the variety at the local supermarket aren't good enough?

does anyone know the varieties that aren't banned but produce enough opium in a resonably sized plot?

i'll go searching but i don't want to submit a mail order for a packet of seeds that are considered illegal and get my ass kicked cause i'm the unlucky bastard who's getting his mail checked that day.....

Before you start growing opium.....

Before anyone goes and starts to grow opium know the following....

i) You may be able to find seeds legally but growing opium poppies is illegal. Just because you can buy opium poppy seeds or grow ornamental poppies (different species) doesn't mean you can get away with growing the opium variety. I repeat, growing opium even if for non-drug related purposes is illegal.

ii) Opium, even as its raw source (sap from seed heads) is very physically addictive. You are unlikely to be able to feed that addiction from a plot of poppies in your back yard all year round. This means after a while of indulging, you may find yourself looking for smack from that dodgey fucker down the local pub. Don't even think for a minute that that wont happen to you... it could easily happen to you.

OK thats enough preachy stuff for one day. I just think it's fair that anyone who has never ventured down this road be fully informed before they do.

For those who still want to grow poppies, yeap, sow in August/September and by November you should have a nice crop of the most beautiful flower there is. What you do after that is your business ;)

I say, FUCK DA POLICE. Opium poppies are fuckin near impossible for most dickhead cops to distinguish. Just get some afgahn variety or another. Have a bed of nice loose soil and chuck the seeds in. They grow best (has been said) in direct light. You water em just like any other plant in your garden. There is no real technicality at all to growing poppies. As nomadiq said, sow ur seeds in august/september. Also to know when to harvest opium, poppies go through 2 main flowering stages, one flower will grow then die and another bulb will grow. The best time to slice the bulb is when the second bulb gets as big as it can. Also, when u slice, use a good sharp razor or get something with lots of pins imbedded. When u penetrate the skin of the bulb, DO NOT break the skin all the way to the seeds, just give it a delicate slice vertically and quite gently. This will ensure u can harvest sap from the same bulb more than once. Also harvest during a 2 day period when there is no rain and lots of heat. Once u slice, leave the sap to build up and dry up then just scrape up when all dry and ready. Also on the second third time u harvest sap, slice the stem gently first then the bulb to get the most out of it.

Peace Out

Also after slicing.... you can use the pods to make some poppy tea.... becareful, some members at poppies.org are addicted to the opium pods tea.

There's a interesting book called "Opium for the Mass" or something I can't remember a old book, but the information is still good enough, pretty over-detailed.

There's some sites that sells many types of opium poppies seeds in Australia.

Otherwise just move to Tasmania and just jump over the fence and fill up your bags :D

Some garden gnomes mix their opium poppies garden with some Mexican and Californian poppies, they not like the Opium poppies but they can make good coverage ;)

The Mexican poppy has mild seditive properties.

You know whats sad about this... i have tried just about everything but opium and i wouldnt mind trying it but i have no clue where to get it here in Aus.

I'm not expecting anyone to tell me where to get some because thats just not on and defeats the purpose of this site but it would be really nice if i could get my hands on some one day. i guess im going to have to start travelling.

Go to your local Vege store and pick up a pack of poppy seeds. These are of the right variety and will yield nice results. Simple.

From a nearly two-year old news story in The Age:
Man turns Safeway seeds to opium
November 8 2002
By Steve Butcher

A Victorian judge was shocked yesterday at how a drug addict was able to grow 230 opium poppies at home from seeds bought from the herbs section of a supermarket.

Judge James Duggan was told it was possible that Ronald Mark Fiddes had bought untreated imported poppy seeds that produced the prohibited plants.

Prosecutor Chris Ryan confirmed it was possible for someone to grow opium plants from untreated overseas seeds, whereas all poppy seeds grown in Australia were treated.

The County Court heard that police found two crops weighing a total of 37 kilograms in the front and back yard of Fiddes' Lower Plenty unit on November 20, 2001.

Mr Ryan said the capsules of some plants showed evidence of scoring from a sharp blade that meant the opium sap or resin had been harvested.

Morphine formed about 1 to 3 per cent of the resin while Fiddes' crop would have produced a quantity of opium about half the size of a cricket ball, he said.

It was accepted, he said, that Fiddes had not trafficked the opium and had grown it for personal use.

Joe Toal, defending, said Fiddes, 40, had been "totally soaked" in drugs, mostly heroin, morphine or methadone, for about 20 years.

Fiddes had been a methadone addict for 10 years from 1989 before he decided to get off it and start working as a labourer. After a serious back injury, he unsuccessfully applied to legally obtain morphine for pain relief. Then he had been told about growing poppies for opium.

"He wanted to keep to himself and not bother anyone and try and create a situation that was physically tolerable for him," Mr Toal said.

So Fiddes went to a Safeway store, selected two bags of poppy seeds from the herbs section, planted them, and "they took off", he said.

Judge Duggan said he found such a scenario "mind-boggling".

Fiddes got between 10 and 12 fingernail-sized balls of opium, which he swallowed with water, that helped with his morphine addiction and pain control.

Fiddes, an industrial spray painter, of Main Road, Lower Plenty, pleaded guilty to cultivating a narcotic plant and to possessing marijuana.

In his sentencing remarks, Judge Duggan said he was surprised that Fiddes had been able to "plant an illegal crop so simply". He jailed Fiddes for two years with one year suspended for 24 months.

Past thread relating to this article in Aus Drug Discussion that would have easily been found using the search function:

This is probably about the worst kept secret ever, but unless you're absolutely sure nobody will notice your crop growing in your yard, forget it. As JB said in the other thread - if you a personal amount of cannabis you may get a legal slap on the wrist... as soon as you enter opioid territory people equate it with heroin and you're going in the slammer.

BigTrancer :)

If you live in NSW Opium poppies grow wild pretty much anywhere they they had gold rushes in the late 1800's / ealy 1900's... Gold = Chinese = Opium...
I've havested it from the side of the road... look around Henry Lawson country or where cattle dogs were first breed... in spring & early summer. It grows wild just out of my home town along the railway line... Even spotted some behind the local golf club...

Opium poppies will grow extremely easily in many AUstrailan climates. Most people i have known to have grown opium poppies have had far more trouble getting rid of plants than getting them to grow. See poppies spread very easy, once you grow 1 or 2 plants, they will spread all over your yard, then your neighbours yard, etc. When you think you have destroyed every plant a few months later another 500 will pop up all over the place.

Also, getting useable opium from the poppy plant is no easy task.

Got some Papaver somniferum growing as a result of throwing (ab)used Hoyts brand poppy seeds after I washed them to get high. The leaves are starting to get a bit light. There hasn't been much water but I figure these things grow in Afghan, but also Tassie which is pretty darn green and wet. Whasts the best way to water them for SE QLD Heat at the moment? They're just in soil. Funnily though, even tho I threw them everywhere, they only grew in a patch one area. One is huge and got a big flower but the others just have the hanging pods and are much smaller..

How long do I have to wait for the alkaloids to be at a nice rate. They were thrown in soil I'd say startish of winter, or a little bit before. I know they grow poppies for seed use only, and engineer them to not contain as much morphine, but I'll have a go at it anyway. I want to dry and smoke the sap.

Well my plants got found and destroyed

Whats the best method of destroying a whole garden of vegetables? Would weed killer work? Revenge is sweet :)

I found where the dickhead put them.. all the pods are pretty immature but I'm gonna boil a brew anyway see what it does.
Theres no sap just hard bits inside the pods.

I chewed on the stems too, bitter as, must be something you can use them on.
On the main/biggest plant the root/base was 5-6 inches thick. All the stems to the poppies were pretty thick too. prolly would of made a decent plant.
i just found another few bulbs to chew on. CBF making a tea as i dont think it'll do much
I feel something, but its kind of energetic ? But a bit smacky too.

Last edited:
Ended up making me think opiates were still worth a shot when I had 7 bulbs, none even matured. In reality I think I had about 2 real bulbs. But they were pretty big, the rest hadn't really started growing and I was in smack out heaven. Actually had... euphoria, which is something opiates don't do for me... Chewed a few stems but yeah going to throw it all away because the itch aint worth it in the end after a long hard nod