• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Opium Poppy (Papaver somniferum) cultivation

got some flicks from this season.. Ill upload them to imageshack or whatever it is when I'm sober n got the time lol this post is purely just to remind me in the morning haha

Post away! I could look at poppy pics until my eyes bulged out of my skull and exploded all over the monitor.

It's especially nice to see those flowers when it's a hot and dry day here in Melbourne Town. (dry in more ways than just climate:(

Nice pics - especially the last one:D

I'd rather have one of those guys hanging around than a truckload of snails.

Nothing more annoying than going out to find a snail chowing down on a pod, swinging in the breeze like a little brat that found the world's biggest lolly pop and is trying to devour it all before mum comes along...

^^ haha thanks.. I actually loved havin the lil bastard hangin around.. As you said, much better than havin a fuck load of snails (I fuckn hate the cunts).. That's why I put the pellets out early during the initial vegetation just to be safe

quite an important question for all you poppy head.. rachiem (sp?) made an interesting post on the subject in the last page or two but its disappeared...?

when growing for the sheer purpose of making pod juice, and mabey attempting an cooked flake extraction, whens the best time to harvest the pods for maximum alkaloids? last season I waited till they were fully ready (vents open) before harvesting but Im sort under the impression that the alkaloids are at their peak when the pods are pre-mature? as this seasons pods seem weaker than the last and I swear rachiem (sp) mentions that its a waste to wait till the vents open up at full mature..

can someone experienced shed some light on this? thanks in advance

^ppnr - Have a look at how Tassie does it, I don't really know but if you searched I'm sure you'd find info on when they decide to harvest their mass fields.

when growing for the sheer purpose of making pod juice, and mabey attempting an cooked flake extraction, whens the best time to harvest the pods for maximum alkaloids? last season I waited till they were fully ready (vents open) before harvesting but Im sort under the impression that the alkaloids are at their peak when the pods are pre-mature?

This seems to be a point of contention amongst poppy fans.

IME, if the plants are 'wintered over' and are robust, 4 to 5 days after petals drop yields high potency sap.

Again, just my observation, but a healthy pod which is firm to the touch and produces an extremely bitter and 'spicy' sap delivers better material than one which has been left to mature and thus dry out somewhat - which is sometimes the case by the time the vents have opened. Worse is when they get a lot of rain during maturation and the pods become squishy to the touch. THe sap which comes out is often runny and watery.

EDIT: sorry, I think I misunderstood your question.. you're wanting to harvest the whole pod for making 'juice' or tea from? Not just scoring the pods for latex?

Last edited:
Has anyone here had any experience with the papaver somniferum L elite strain? Here In New Zealand its all legal to grow/sell poppies until you want to use them for illegal uses so I thought about starting up my own poppy business to sell on pods for art and flower arrangements :)

r you might want to double check your info there, technically P. Somniferum is listed in the NZ misuse of drugs act under a few categories; as the individual alkaloids, as poppy straw and the plant itself. It is however the only illegal plant that has an exception in the MODA , if it can be proved that it is not for illegal uses.
I wouldn't recommend to put this to the test, most likely any suspicion of illicit poppy cultivation would warrant a search of your property, home , car , computer, phone record, pockets etc if anything even a cone or a roach turns up there goes your defence.
The police only need reasonable suspicion of a drug related offence to search in NZ so forget having time to dispose of evidence of your drug use while they procure warrants and the like, unusual drug arrests also make for good headlines and publicity, so don't think the prosecution won't target you because it's not a mainstream drug offence.
Saying that, in summer fresh pods do turn up occasionally in florists, if you were a suitably motivated individual you may end up talking to growers at a flower auction in the early morning during the festive season, you would learn they are legit horticulturalists with tax registered companies who also commercially grow a range of other flowers/plants.
I don't want to sound like a cunt but this may or may not be an issue of familiarity, In the name of HR imho your best bet and to skip a commercial cultivation charge if things go sour is to go SMALL and go POTENT, real morphine variety tassies or similar as random ornamentals or as a border. sow in autumn is best in nz for potency and fungal resistance and nitrogen supplementation at hook stage. Also invest in a good bat or air rifle ,you will be surprised come harvest wether rural or city nz how many people have an interest in your pride and joy

I called the police and asked lol. It's only illegal if you intend to do illegal things with it. They can search my property all they want, nothing drug related will be found because I don't intend to grow poppies for my personal use. There is a market to sell poppy pods for art and flower arrangements and some seeds.

I'm more worried people are going to come and steal them right out of my garden. Will annoy me soo much!

I called the police and asked lol.

Probably better to ask a lawyer who's experienced with that kind of thing. The police probably don't know for sure.

People have been charged over here in australia for growing poppies -

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/11/07/1036308423803.html

Although this guy was scoring his pods which showed he was getting opium, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get charged for having a garden of poppies (even if it's unlikely)

A lawyer you reckon. My neighbor's garden is poppies galore of the opium kind and never once had police to his house in 50 years and you can clearly see them if you walk/drive past. I'll do more research but really can make a nice profit selling the pods for 'art' and 'flower arrangements' lol

I think its ridiculous you can go to jail for growing a natural plant that you 'might' use for personal medicine. Why? So the pharmacy companies don't lose money?

That poor man was just minding his own business trying to get on with his life the only way he thought possible and gets to go to jail for what!

Hi Jean:)

Every aspect of poppy growing, processing, consuming, etc has been covered on this site and many others many times. People living in lots of different countries on different continents have thrown in their two cents and the result is that there's a wealth of misinformation regarding what is and isn't legal. Regardless of the technicalities of one's practices, I think that people who are quiet and inoffensive as not likely to experience much trouble.

I think the best course of action is just to do what you will and not talk (or type) about it anywhere. I wouldn't post anything which relates to trading or currency in the same place as cultivating illegal plants in any context.

Last edited:
Thanks =D My neighbor has given me lots of different variety of seeds and I'm just going to grow myself. My backyard is very secure with a very high fence like my neighbor so I think we will be fine and will keep it to ourselves.

Is that from last spring? Or did you do a summer run?

last spring dude :)

EDIT: just when you thought snails were a poppy connoisseurs worst enemy.. I've litterally had hundreds of fucking ants building mounds around my freshly planted rows, just to dig up all the seeds I sowed 8( like no lie, they are pulling them all out the ground, one by one :X

so what do I do? well I had to re-sow the whole lot a week later and applied ant dust just to be safe.. think that would fix the problem right? nooooo.. now the fucking doves around my house have sussed out how to sense where the seeds have been sown and they are all plucking at the ground, eating the freshly sowed seeds!! like wtf nature, give me a brake :( this season not off to a good start :eek:

Last edited:
This seems to be a point of contention amongst poppy fans.

IME, if the plants are 'wintered over' and are robust, 4 to 5 days after petals drop yields high potency sap.

Again, just my observation, but a healthy pod which is firm to the touch and produces an extremely bitter and 'spicy' sap delivers better material than one which has been left to mature and thus dry out somewhat - which is sometimes the case by the time the vents have opened. Worse is when they get a lot of rain during maturation and the pods become squishy to the touch. THe sap which comes out is often runny and watery.

EDIT: sorry, I think I misunderstood your question.. you're wanting to harvest the whole pod for making 'juice' or tea from? Not just scoring the pods for latex?

sorry, just saw your reply..

and yes, Im only wanting to harvest the whole pod for making juice.. Not scoring the pods for latex..

^ppnr - Have a look at how Tassie does it, I don't really know but if you searched I'm sure you'd find info on when they decide to harvest their mass fields.

I have had a quick look on google but couldnt find any info...

ill give the question a bump just incase anyone missed it

quite an important question for all you poppy heads.. rachiem (sp?) made an interesting post on the subject in the last page or two but its disappeared...?

when growing for the sheer purpose of making pod juice, and mabey attempting an cooked flake extraction, whens the best time to harvest the pods for maximum alkaloids? last season I waited till they were fully ready (vents open) before harvesting but Im sort under the impression that the alkaloids are at their peak when the pods are pre-mature? as this seasons pods seem weaker than the last and I swear rachiem (sp) mentions that its a waste to wait till the vents open up at full mature..

can someone experienced shed some light on this? thanks in advance

My other seeds have arrived and I've started to make the garden bed nice and fresh. My neighbor is going to help me out teehee. The colours I have are so pretty and the garden is going to look awesome!