• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Opium Poppy (Papaver somniferum) cultivation

^Hook stage , best time to give a decent feed of nitrogen. .
I find if you prep the soil well prior then nothing else is needed. Its like people that go to the gym and take all these stupid supplements when there not going to do shit. Plus At this stage I wouldn't want to be playing around with the plant. just my opinion please don't be offended, I mean it all comes down to your soil, if you have oxygen(turned your soil prior to seeding) good grubs(worms etc) not the bad ones, and the list goes on!

I find if you prep the soil well prior then nothing else is needed. Its like people that go to the gym and take all these stupid supplements when there not going to do shit. Plus At this stage I wouldn't want to be playing around with the plant. just my opinion please don't be offended, I mean it all comes down to your soil, if you have oxygen(turned your soil prior to seeding) good grubs(worms etc) not the bad ones, and the list goes on!

No offense taken.
I'm just reiterating information from the people that do this professionally. Leibig's law says that a plant can only grow as fast as the most limiting nutrient, this is why you won't see commercial horticulture with a focus on optimal yields without the use of fertilisers.
Depending on the soil type, nitrogen can leach from the soil in as few as a couple of months , alkaloids such as morphine are nitrogen containing compounds, so the quantity of nitrogen present will be a limiting factor in alkaloid production.
Adding fertiliser after hook stage would be counter productive since fruit (capsule/pod) are usually formed from nutrients already within the plant tissue.

Unlike sports supplements there no pseudo science behind the usage of fertilisers in horticulture.

A thought for next year is collecting the petals especially from my double flowered varieties and using them for brews as the M content within them is nearing that of the pods.
I've often wondered why home growers don't make more use of other parts of the plant including the leaves. The strict usage of pods for tea probably came from that being the only available poppy product.

Last edited:
Not sure if this had been discussed in previous posts, but you are allow to grow poppies - as long as you don't score the pod

A thought for next year is collecting the petals especially from my double flowered varieties and using them for brews as the M content within them is nearing that of the pods.

Woah, really?

Could just eat them, wouldn't be much to the taste of them, you'd think. Apart from the alkaloids which you'd learn to love.

I've often wondered why home growers don't make more use of other parts of the plant including the leaves. The strict usage of pods for tea probably came from that being the only available poppy product.

Makes sense the pharmaceutical guys use the straw and all. I tried smoking the leaves also, it was hard to tell if they were active as I just used them as a kind of buffer to stop the opium burning or falling into the pipe.

Good to know about the petals it would be worth trying to eat them fresh.

I've always eaten my pods, stems fresh.

Just freeze my pods and blend them up with some orange juice works great for me.

Will have to try petals :)

Not sure if this had been discussed in previous posts, but you are allow to grow poppies - as long as you don't score the pod

I think this is a myth - unless you include the many varieties of non-opium-alkaloid producing poppy.
Papaver Sommiferum (and it's variants) are not legal to grow or possess in Australia (without appropriate permits; think 'Tasmanian Alkaloids' the big pharma concern that oversees opium farming in Tasmania).

Having said this, the fuzz do seem to turn a blind (or unknowing) eye to the decorative poppies grown by certain demographics of green thumb...but you're right in suggesting that bleeding the pods openly would surely be a red light to Mister Plod.

Prevents mould destroying yer harvest?

Another option is a food dehydrator...so I'm told.

Good info about the various alkaloid concentrations in P.Som plant parts and stages of development.

http://www.landesmuseum.at/pdf_frei_remote/PHY_41_1_0087-0096.pdf

Petal .202 % - .446%
Upper leaf .155 %
Mature capsule .486 % - .837%

Interestingly the M% in leaf only really starts to get going after 43rd day and then peaks at the capsule stage so it would be possible to harvest leaf before capsule harvest for early brews.

Whats the theory on freezing them before blending?

Easier to handle?

Storage right?

They will go mouldy in the fridge after a few weeks. Would like to see the data on drying versus freezing. My money would be on freezing (based on nothing at all)

I must have misinterpreted it.

I thought he picks the pods, freezes, once frozen, makes brew/juice/blend.

Didn't realise it was his storage method.

Putting pods in the freezer for a while, and then taking them out makes them all soft and mushy - just like any other vegetable.

The freezing, defrosting process just means that the pods are much easier to blend if you are so inclined.

Fresh pods are quite fibrous and if you snip a few and put them straight into a blender, the blender will have a hell of a time tearing that shit up. Defrosted mush pods come to bits much easier. Blend, strain, drink. Nice.

You could also blend, strain, place in dish to evaporate. If it's well and truly dehydrated, the concentrated material will last for ages. Don't bother trying to smoke it. Just eat it.

SOrry - I meant to say DON'T eat it. Don't grow them. DOn't do anything. Do not ingest poppy pods. They are bad. Nature is bad. Nature is illegal. Any information posted here is just hypothetical and shouldn't be read. Stop reading now. Information is dangerous. Really, we're better off just not knowing anything. As long as we follow the government's proclamations nothing bad will happen. Ever.

Feel better now? Ahhh, I know I do. All is well. Go back to sleep. ZZZZzzzzzz.......

Whats the theory on freezing them before blending?

Easier to handle?

Just easier to store them. I don't like drying out because of downy mildew/fungus in my area. Can destroy stuff so quickly.

Makes them a little easier to handle I suppose :) no latex dribbling everywhere.

I've got a big chest freezer so lots of room.

edit:

Didn't realise it was his storage method.

Yep you got it.

I think this is a myth...Papaver Sommiferum (and it's variants) are not legal to grow or possess in Australia....

if that is the case then I would have thought "that" website/company would have been done over years ago.......I just checked and they are still selling them, they can't export them but can sell locally. I remember reading in their forum that they can be grown however not scored. Given the fact that they are still operational tells me that there is some truth in that.

Given the fact that they are still operational tells me that there is some truth in that.

The government doesn't take action against every single thing they get word of that's illegal. They simply might not have the scope or interest at the time to focus on a particular website or company. Doesn't mean things don't change - they do. Def. isn't a sign that something is illegal or not.

I'd assume they're illegal to grow and possess like spacejunk said. Talk to a lawyer if you want to find out for sure.

surely if u had acres upon acres of poppies in commercial fields the fun police would pull u up, but having a couple of plants doesn't mean the chopper will spot them and send in a team with machine guns......its funny reminds me of how opposite my old primary school how DMT and salvia would grow wildly (acres of it too)

Oh, excuse me, I'm sorry. I suppose you would like a napkin and some fine silk gloves so as not to dirty your delicate fingers or offend your gilded tongue?

Listen up

A real man/woman, is not afraid to get their knees dirty. If you truly love your opiates, you will get down on your knees and suck that knob while the milky white juice comes spraying out all over your face. There is nothing better than fresh - I mean fresh - latex. The taste is bitter as hell, but you'll learn to love it and crave it. After getting a taste for that, nothing else will do. You'll suck a grapefruit and declare it "disgustingly sweet and crude - for children's undeveloped palettes only".

EAT IT. LICK IT. SUCK IT UP.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' bout

^^ love it. =D i just planted some seeds a while ago. they're in the seedling stage.. can't wait to lick those lollipoppies!!

Tasmanian Purple or Persian Whites? (poppies)

Afoaf is looking to grow some poppies for flower arrangements & culinary use...... and she's not sure which is the best strain to grow.

She has 100 Tasmanian purples and approximately 400 Persian white seeds and she's undecided as to which to sow, she's not looking to grow a garden full of them, just a patch a few meters across. If she were to grow the purples, roughly how many would actually germinate and become poppies? It seems like a small amount of seed, or are looks deceiving?

How likely is it that the purples (which she obtained from a reputable gardening seed supplier) are pre-2k as opposed to the crossed purples?

Would love to hear more experienced growers opinions as this will be her first grow. :D

Peace

Last edited by a moderator: