• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Opium Poppy (Papaver somniferum) cultivation

^They don't look like Tassies. The pods are uniformly round. Hard to tell though as they are quite dry (or the picture colour is washed out). Look like giganthemum or maybe afghan......

most are giganteum but experemented with a couple of afgan.I would look after the citurs but the cockatoos take it out. Good crop this year, shit load of raw and a good smoke. Last time I do it, yes im goldy but moving to Sydney on sat so PM if your around randwick ?
^They don't look like Tassies. The pods are uniformly round. Hard to tell though as they are quite dry (or the picture colour is washed out). Look like giganthemum or maybe afghan......

Haha, I wish I was around Randwick. We could catch up for a chat.

I'm down in Melbourne town where it hails for five minutes suddenly and then stops, but the intensity is enough to fuck up your garden and scratch your car.

I assume you mean in Australia. Growing Papvera somniferum is illegal in the State I live, but for a personal garden, no one cares. A field of poppys that pop up in the middle of public land or say tribal land... that gets some attention. Just do a search for OPB and growing poppys for an example. Many of the places you can get the seeds from are actually local USA, my guess is that these nurseries don't import them from out of the country. That being said.... it seems to be one of one of those grey areas. Kind of like growing weed in some states might be legal with a card but the Feds can still bust you, if they want to...my advice, if you happen to know an area that is frequented by Blackhawks during the month of august / sept.... might not be a smart place for a football size field of Papavera Somniferum Taz to pop up!

Last edited:
That time of year -

i6SQldQ.jpg

Last edited:
^Hook stage , best time to give a decent feed of nitrogen. Read some studies out of tas that showed up to 20% increase in morph content when an N fert is applied at this stage.

For various reasons only felt comfortable putting a few down this year, sadly my tas seed from last year didn't germinate, only some eastern euro oase style which are flowering nicely.
Resin production is abundant but not very bitter. very short compared to the tas which were well over 1m. classic barrel pod opposed to the more elongated tas.

Hrm interesting ODB. Might give it a go on small number of plants at low concentration. My track record seems to be great when I just let nature take its course (even slight neglect) - when I mess around too much I've always had issues.

Yeh pops don't like too much handling or interference , but successive crops will deplete the soil somewhat.

Some may find it gross but a liter of urine contains up to 0.9% nitrogen, 0.12% phosphorus and 0.26% potassium, of course you want to dilute it first at least 1/15 and avoid foliar feeding but it's relatively self buffering so it's hard to overdo it like with synthetic fertilizers.
A light feed of Mg in the form of epsom salts is helpful for boosting M content also.

Just a few studies about mineral supplementation and alkaloid content.

http://www.agriculturejournals.cz/publicFiles/52791.pdf

http://www.ipipotash.org/udocs/ifc_No_19_rf2.pdf

http://www.actahort.org/books/208/208_11.htm

http://tchie.uni.opole.pl/ecoproc08a/Szkarpa_08a.pdf

when I mess around too much I've always had issues

Me too. I found that starting with good soil was the single biggest factor in how they grew. They are very good at making use of what's in the ground, and if there's good stuff there, they'll eat it all up and become huge!!

If I had average soil, I would fertilize just once - and that was with seasol during the 'cabbage' stage.

Because I'm not an expert, that's about as far as I go. Every season I've done less to them through their growing cycle and had better results.

Last season was the best by far, started off with home made soil: compost/'regular' soil from somewhere in the garden/perlite. If they were in pots, I put chunks of styrofoam in the bottom of the pot to ensure good drainage and it doesn't make the pots super heavy like putting in gravel or stones. The styrofoam doesn't go mouldy so it's safe to use.

The last season was 80% effort preparation, then minimal care during growing. Just a bit of thinning and putting snails pellets around. The result was six foot plants with multiple pods, which were not enormous and round, rather more oval shaped but very firm and if someone accidently sliced one lightly.... you needed a spoon to hold underneath to catch the latex that came dripping out. it was ridiculous. Best. Spring. Ever.

Ahh.... the memories...

Yeh pops don't like too much handling or interference , but successive crops will deplete the soil somewhat.

Some may find it gross but a liter of urine contains up to 0.9% nitrogen, 0.12% phosphorus and 0.26% potassium, of course you want to dilute it first at least 1/15 and avoid foliar feeding but it's relatively self buffering so it's hard to overdo it like with synthetic fertilizers.
A light feed of Mg in the form of epsom salts is helpful for boosting M content also.

Awesome info! Some good reading for tonight.

Yeah I tried planting in the same place two years in a row with zero work on the soil and it was pretty disappointing. Need to learn more about how to balance nutrients and such.

Ahh.... the memories...

Good times! :)

I like how it doesn't last forever. Makes me appreciate it alot more when it's not an all the time thing.

Pretty sure I've got verticillium or something similar in my soil, last years potatoes and some toms failed and it looks like it spread to the poppy bed.
Cruel fate as it really only set in at flower just when hopes are highest, a total contrast to last years nearly eye level plants and mandarin sized pods.

in other news the remains of some random bygone PST sprouted with abundance and the thinned young plants make quite a tasty albeit non psychoactive salad addition.

Bit of a reminder that we don't control nature but that it does control us.

^ last year was mandarin sized pods and I only got to sample a fraction because I had to leave overseas for work.
This year year the pods barely developed after petal drop and have had to be pulled because they are literally rotting away. managed to salvage a few good bevvies but I have quite a high tolly to pods/pst/opium for some reason.

So not a total failure but certainly not worth the 7 month wait.

Ill post some flicks when I can be fucked/have the time.. anyway, season was alright.. the self sown seeds from last season did the best apposed to the purpose sown seeds.. largest poppy yielded a whopping ~20 pods give or take although it was of the red variety (possibly afghan red?) apposed to the tassie I purposely sowed.. either way, I would have been lucky to get over 70 pods from this years harvest n I need atleast a dozen decent sized tassie pods per 'brew' to get a decent buzz so thats only like 5-6 doses

I have a wierd, fucked up, natural tolerance to opiates for some reason

Fungus issues here. Think it was probably downy mildew. Plants didn't get a chance to put out as many pods but the first couple are the strongest anyway. Just had to harvest before the fungus moved up the stem to the pod.

Must have been the weather this year. Global warming is so F'd, what's even worse is the inactivity of Govt's to do something.

I'm going to rotate my crops, I also made sure to bin and not compost the leftover plant material to try and minimize spread of infection.
If I do decide to put down any more seed for 2014 it's going to be well away from the current spot.
Got a bit of fungus right up the stem and some pods , but it didn't seem to have any negative effects. I did acidify my brews and bring them up to 100 though just to be sure.

I wonder what they do in tassie to prevent this. I'm sure a lot of it comes down to sowing times.

I wonder what they do in tassie to prevent this. I'm sure a lot of it comes down to sowing times.

They have problems with this stuff also. They'd be using fungicides along with a heap of other stuff.

But yeah I'm sure it comes down to timing of the crop, the weather etc. aswell. It's cooler in Tas so it's possible that would help.

I funny enough grew my batch previously as Im a plant lover. I have a vast background in what works with what conditions and weather, time, etc and was more taken away at the beauty my poppies produced with their vibrant colour, but then the petals fell, and the other side of my shoulder, the fiend , started to lick his lips