Bluelight

Thread: Opium Poppy (Papaver somniferum) cultivation

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Good info about the various alkaloid concentrations in P.Som plant parts and stages of development.

http://www.landesmuseum.at/pdf_frei_..._0087-0096.pdf

Petal .202 % - .446%
    Upper leaf .155 %
    Mature capsule .486 % - .837%

Interestingly the M% in leaf only really starts to get going after 43rd day and then peaks at the capsule stage so it would be possible to harvest leaf before capsule harvest for early brews.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Brewster View Post
    Whats the theory on freezing them before blending?

Easier to handle?
    Storage right?

They will go mouldy in the fridge after a few weeks. Would like to see the data on drying versus freezing. My money would be on freezing (based on nothing at all)

3. Collapse Details

Australian Drug Discussion
    I must have misinterpreted it.

I thought he picks the pods, freezes, once frozen, makes brew/juice/blend.

Didn't realise it was his storage method.

4. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Putting pods in the freezer for a while, and then taking them out makes them all soft and mushy - just like any other vegetable.

The freezing, defrosting process just means that the pods are much easier to blend if you are so inclined.

Fresh pods are quite fibrous and if you snip a few and put them straight into a blender, the blender will have a hell of a time tearing that shit up. Defrosted mush pods come to bits much easier. Blend, strain, drink. Nice.

You could also blend, strain, place in dish to evaporate. If it's well and truly dehydrated, the concentrated material will last for ages. Don't bother trying to smoke it. Just eat it.

SOrry - I meant to say DON'T eat it. Don't grow them. DOn't do anything. Do not ingest poppy pods. They are bad. Nature is bad. Nature is illegal. Any information posted here is just hypothetical and shouldn't be read. Stop reading now. Information is dangerous. Really, we're better off just not knowing anything. As long as we follow the government's proclamations nothing bad will happen. Ever.

Feel better now? Ahhh, I know I do. All is well. Go back to sleep. ZZZZzzzzzz.......

5. Collapse Details

Whats the theory on freezing them before blending?

Easier to handle?
    Just easier to store them. I don't like drying out because of downy mildew/fungus in my area. Can destroy stuff so quickly.

Makes them a little easier to handle I suppose no latex dribbling everywhere.

I've got a big chest freezer so lots of room.

edit:

Didn't realise it was his storage method.
    Yep you got it.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by spacejunk View Post
    I think this is a myth...Papaver Sommiferum (and it's variants) are not legal to grow or possess in Australia....
    if that is the case then I would have thought "that" website/company would have been done over years ago.......I just checked and they are still selling them, they can't export them but can sell locally. I remember reading in their forum that they can be grown however not scored. Given the fact that they are still operational tells me that there is some truth in that.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mork View Post
    Given the fact that they are still operational tells me that there is some truth in that.
    The government doesn't take action against every single thing they get word of that's illegal. They simply might not have the scope or interest at the time to focus on a particular website or company. Doesn't mean things don't change - they do. Def. isn't a sign that something is illegal or not.

I'd assume they're illegal to grow and possess like spacejunk said. Talk to a lawyer if you want to find out for sure.

8. Collapse Details

surely if u had acres upon acres of poppies in commercial fields the fun police would pull u up, but having a couple of plants doesn't mean the chopper will spot them and send in a team with machine guns......its funny reminds me of how opposite my old primary school how DMT and salvia would grow wildly (acres of it too)

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halif View Post
    Oh, excuse me, I'm sorry. I suppose you would like a napkin and some fine silk gloves so as not to dirty your delicate fingers or offend your gilded tongue?

Listen up

A real man/woman, is not afraid to get their knees dirty. If you truly love your opiates, you will get down on your knees and suck that knob while the milky white juice comes spraying out all over your face. There is nothing better than fresh - I mean fresh - latex. The taste is bitter as hell, but you'll learn to love it and crave it. After getting a taste for that, nothing else will do. You'll suck a grapefruit and declare it "disgustingly sweet and crude - for children's undeveloped palettes only".

EAT IT. LICK IT. SUCK IT UP.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' bout
    ^^ love it. i just planted some seeds a while ago. they're in the seedling stage.. can't wait to lick those lollipoppies!!

10. Collapse Details
    Tasmanian Purple or Persian Whites? (poppies) 
    Question
    Afoaf is looking to grow some poppies for flower arrangements & culinary use...... and she's not sure which is the best strain to grow.

She has 100 Tasmanian purples and approximately 400 Persian white seeds and she's undecided as to which to sow, she's not looking to grow a garden full of them, just a patch a few meters across. If she were to grow the purples, roughly how many would actually germinate and become poppies? It seems like a small amount of seed, or are looks deceiving?

How likely is it that the purples (which she obtained from a reputable gardening seed supplier) are pre-2k as opposed to the crossed purples?

Would love to hear more experienced growers opinions as this will be her first grow.

Peace
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 07-04-2014 at 19:55.

11. Collapse Details

im not sure what you are asking but tassies are my favorite strain they can produce up to 30% morphine in there latex Persian whites are a close second i don't find the flower as pretty but it is said to be one of the strongest poppies. i also enjoy growing afghan whites and hens and chicks. i cant tell you the quality of your seeds but if there normal you will prob get 90 seedling out of your 100 seeds but this can turn out to be just a few fully mature poppies after culling and pests.

the seeds are very small so yes looks are deceiving.

what do you mean by pre 2k? are you asking if you have the high thebain content poppies? if you are i can say they most likley are not. Those poppies are called "nords" and there seed are kept under lock and key.

i get my seed from bulk food stores i almost always get tassies the high morphine ones because the commercial opium crop is the same crop most commercial seeds come from and the high thebaine seeds arnt available to the public.

12. Collapse Details

Just the answer I was looking for Thanks

13. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    Wow, so maybe this is where domestic opium comes from, people like you!

14. Collapse Details

Give it give it give it to me now, now kicks.
    Home grows yield very small quantities of opium (if you are talking about latex, as opposed to pods).
    Then again, It depends how big your "garden" is.
    When you say "domestic" I assume you're not referring to Australia...

15. Collapse Details

Growing poppies is not illegal

theres a growers union. Sure, if you are growing the type that produce high morphine content that could be construed as manufacture, but who is gonna bust you on that?

Cultivating opium is illegal , but growing poppies is not

16. Collapse Details

This is Australian Drug Discussion.
    Growing Poppies is certainly illegal here. Even if the law turns a blind eye to ornamental garden varieties.

17. Collapse Details

I be exited to see what this season brings

best of luck to all

18. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Ahh.. lucky bastards with garden space.

God, Springtime will never be as sweet stuck in a second story apartment.

Post pics, PissPot if you find any around on the web

19. Collapse Details

I still live with the oldies (purely for conviniance relating to my current work) and am very lucky to live on a ~1100 square metre block but the down side it that we are pretty much on a massive sand-dune so the soils good for fuck all, too much alkaline

surprisingly through, the poppies dont seem to mind it too much but everything else I grow struggles...
    Last edited by footscrazy; 22-04-2014 at 16:54.

20. Collapse Details

Am no garden guru, but poppies, like a lot of other plants like good drainage. Sand mixed with compost, should give the right ph, be aerated and have good drainage as well.

21. Collapse Details

Poppies love sand.
    Not sure about other variables (such as ph and nutrients) - but they thrive in well drained sandy soil

22. Collapse Details

Anyone had any experience with the white seeds from Indian grocers? I'm guessing they are a by product from the Indian medicinal crop.
    I've heard that variety gets bigger and has more pods but is slightly less potent than our local stock. Might be worth a look.

23. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by spacejunk View Post
    Poppies love sand.
    Not sure about other variables (such as ph and nutrients) - but they thrive in well drained sandy soil
    Yep. I lived close to the beach and the soil was very sandy. Had my best Poppies ever at that place.

24. Collapse Details

How does one defend dried pods against mold? A mate was showing me some of his pods that had this black, sooty type of mould growing on them. The pods were still quite dry and hard and the mould hasn't gotten on the inside of the pod...yet. Just wondering if this is something to be concerned about or if he should be doing something now to prevent it getting worse. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

25. Collapse Details

Use some silica packs (the type you get in bottles of vitamins, shoe boxes etc that say "do not eat", heh) to stop dried pods getting moist, which allows mould to grow.
    They may have gone mouldy as they were being dried; this was always a problem when I used them.

The best solution I found was to use a food dehydrator to properly dry them out ("cracker dry" like mushrooms - but they need hearing for quite a while on a low setting to prevent them from burning, and I would cut each pod in half, or the inside wouldn't dry out, unless the crown had popped open).

If your pods are already mouldy....I strongly, strongly advise you to discard them (or smash them up and chuck the seeds in the garden for next year). Moulds can have all kinds of scary toxins in them - some neurotoxins, some that can just make you really sick if you breathe them in or ingest them.

It's not just an overly cautious HR minded warning - I would seriously ditch the pods if you're sure it's mould.

Is it discolouration on the pod - or sticky?
    Or is it furry, fuzzy looking stuff?

Because if it is just patches of discolouration on the outside of the pod, it could just be some opium latex that has seeped through the skin before it dried out, or a sort of bruise that dried pods sometimes have.
    I have certainly seen dried pods with round, dark spots that look a bit like mould - but on closer inspection, are spots of sticky opium.

If you think it could be dried opium (are you familiar with the look, feel and taste of dried opium latex?) i would give it a good close inspection, and if you're confident it isn't mould (touch it, and if it is sticky and treacle-like consistency) give it a tiny taste.
    If you know what bitter opium tastes like, you'll know instantly that's what it is.

However *and I can't emphasise this enough!* - if you are in any doubt whether it is mould (mould shouldn't be sticky to the touch, for one thing) - do not put it anywhere near your mouth.
    If it's furry shit, cut your losses and ditch it outside somewhere. It might make a great crop next year, but it's not worth the potential consequences of eating if it is definitely mould.
    I think it's worth mentioning though, because I've had spotty, dark and discoloured pods that have been absolutely fine.

But if they've got "black sooty" crap growing on them, I would consider them potentially very poisonous and not consume them.
    Not worth it; way too dangerous to risk your health for a buzz.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast