• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo Potentiators?

It's funny that in this thread there is talk about GABA ENHANCERS but you guys know you can get GABA supplements? Pure GABA. At most health food stores.
Preload on GABA. I use to use it all the time. 500mg-2g.

Have a look:

GABA: The Anti Anxiety Supplement With No Side Effects

gabaGABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) is an amino acid that acts as a neurotransmitter, chemicals that facilitate communication between nerve cells. GABA, which is produced by the brain, suppresses nerve impulses related to stress and anxiety. In a healthy, well-nourished person, the brain produces sufficient amounts of GABA.

However, since many people eat poor diets and are over-exposed to environmental toxins, GABA levels may fall below optimum amounts. A low level of GABA is associated with a range of problems, including anxiety, depression, irritability and sleeplessness.

Herbalists often recommend GABA as an alternative to the herb kava for people who want a mild, natural tranquilizer. Both GABA and kava are mild and do not cause sedation. GABA is also used to promote sleep.

It does this, not by causing drowsiness but by helping the body to relax. People with insomnia and other sleep disorders sometimes rotate GABA with other herbs, such as valerian (an herb used to ease anxiety) and melatonin (a natural hormone that is popular as a popular sleep aid). In addition, GABA may have some value in helping to alleviate chronic pain. While not an analgesic, it can lessen the intensity of pain by easing the stress and anxiety that can contribute to it.

GABA has also been investigated for use as a treatment for epilepsy. It appears that low levels of GABA in the brain have been linked to seizures in some cases. GABA seems to inhibit the firing of nerve cells that set off seizures.

Since standard drugs for epilepsy enhance GABA levels in the brain, it is thought that supplements of GABA may be useful in preventing seizures, though clinical evidence is mixed so far.

GABA is available in tablets, capsules and in powdered form. Capsules can be opened and mixed with liquid to make them easier to ingest. Sublingual tablets of GABA (tablets that are placed under the tongue to dissolve) are also available.

The dosage of GABA to be used depends on the reason for taking it. To promote sleep, 500 to 1000 mg taken about and hour before bed is recommended. In cases where insomnia is related to anxiety, GABA can be taken with other natural tranquilizers, such as valerian root.

The recommended dosage of GABA for treating chronic pain or to help prevent seizures is 250 to 500 mg taken three times per day. For stress, 250 mg three times per day or a single dose of 750 mg is usually effective.

GABA is best absorbed and more effective when taken between meals. It should be stored away from heat and moisture in a cool, dry place. Because prescription medications for anxiety target GABA receptors in the brain, people who are taking such medications should not use GABA supplements without the advice of a medical professional.

It is possible for GABA to produce significant drowsiness if it is taken with tranquilizers, including codeine and other narcotic pain relievers, so they should be taken together only with extreme caution.

Though GABA is reportedly safe at recommended doses, some mild stomach irritation or nausea are possible. Some people also report drowsiness as a side effect. At high doses, GABA can exacerbate the very symptoms of anxiety and insomnia that it is supposed to alleviate, underscoring the need to use it within recommended amounts.

Numbness around the mouth and tingling in the extremities are other possible side effects of high doses of GABA. Women who are pregnant or breast feeding and people with liver or kidney disease should not take GABA, since it has not been studied for safety among people in those groups.

Yeah i bought like 1Kg for like a couple of bucks. doesn't do much think its illegal in some states in australia. having a few grams of it makes ya skin feel strange and sweat in some places.
with b vitamins it help a bit with mood i used to mix a few grams of each GABA and phenibut.

Do you recon i could repair my receptor with GABA. I will have some soon and i will try it with benzos and without in many dose's.

^ Yeh, it worked for me. I used to take it a lot. I took it to potentiate benzos and it also helped when I came off of benzos too. It has no recreational value when used alone. It just helps calm and also helps with anxiety and it definitely potentiates benzos.

So whats the final word

so what benzos are strongest on grapefruit juice? what is the go is it mainly the nitro benzos? i got alot of clonaz and valium here and i wonder what works best and how much better they work on grapefruit juice. i just drink 1.5 litre over like 2 hours.
I find gabapentin works good with benzos and also stops that neeed to crave more. Also GABA supplament does sweet fuck all from my finding to benzos i have tried it heaps. Can i help my GABA receptors be better who knows? i find soma one of my favs to mix.

^ No, actually you are wrong. Grapefruit juice has been proven to increasse plasma levels of almost all benzodiazpeines. The strongest ones effected are: alprazolam, triazolam, midazolam.

If you get prescribed xanax then yes you MAY be right

i get prescribed Diazepam, and some pharmacy's will put a sticker on it stating, Do not drink grapefruit juice while on this medication.

i havent gotten xanax prescribed to me in a long time, so i do not recall.

anyone get prescribed xanax to confirm this?

Can you show some links to studies on alprazolam + grapefruit? I've tried to find any connection between the two, but found only diazepam + grapefruit.

theres no studies here but its on a pretty legit medical site, and all Benzos are pretty similar so it should work for most of them, not just Diazepam. They probably just said "Grapefruits potentiate Diazepam" because Valium is one of, if not the most popular Benzos. but heres the study
it also works on Clonazepam.
and if you google "(any benzo name), grapefruit" on google it will probably come up with a warning not to take grapefruit with it

Bump.
Actually to everyone here who said it's only diazepam, triazolam, and midazolam affected you are incorrect. Zopiclone, Zolpidem, and Zalepon are all significantly potentiated by grapefruit.
Clonazepam to, as it's metabolised by the cytochrome P450 system. Grapefruit juice inhibits these enzymes, and any Nitrobenzodiazepine is also going to affected, not just the triazobenzodiazepines.

I found i get a feeling of some drug just from drinking grapefruit juice and some do 2 of my mates.
Bests ones soma, gabapentin, alcohol, kava kava

for some reason Tums and tagament both potentiate opiates and benzos for me. peace and love

they just reduce stomach acid no effects like tagamet they were made to not have the interactions that previous drugs had.

Alcohol
GHB
Kava
oral contraceptives
muscle relaxers
diphenhydramine and other antihistamines
cimetidine
grapefruit juice
GABA supplements
opiates and opioids
zyprexa, Seroquel and other anti-psychotics
Ambien, Lunesta
azole antifungal agents
trazodone

So, after reading this entire thread along with a couple other threads:

CNS Depressants with Synergistic Effects (use sparingly):
Alcohol
GHB
Muscle relaxers
Barbiturates
Opiates and opioids (augments euphoria, relaxation, and analgesia)

Other Substances with Synergistic Effects:

Kava (augments relaxation)
Diphenhydramine and other antihistamines; Ambien, Lunesta (augments sedation)

Substances that potentiate by inhibiting the intestinal cytochrome P450 enzyme CYP3A4:
Cimetidine
Grapefruit juice
Antibiotics such as azithromycin, biaxin, clarithromycin, erythromycin
Azole antifungal agents including Diflucan (fluconazole), Nizoral (ketoconazole), Sporanox (itraconazole)
Desyrel (trazodone) and Serzone (nefazodone)
Zyprexa and other anti-psychotics

Other potentiators
GABA supplements
Oral contraceptives

For a more complete list, check out this page on Erowid. Scroll down to "15. What other medicines can interact with alprazolam?"

Last edited:
If you get prescribed xanax then yes you MAY be right

i get prescribed Diazepam, and some pharmacy's will put a sticker on it stating, Do not drink grapefruit juice while on this medication.

i havent gotten xanax prescribed to me in a long time, so i do not recall.

anyone get prescribed xanax to confirm this?

I've never gotten anything of the sort with my Xanax script.