• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy Scale Thread (First wave - archived 10-31-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psilo707 said:
What the hell is anyone going to use a .2 gram scale for? (i know you didnt mean .2 mg... that would be equivalent to .0002g, which is over $10,000) That's useless info. heh

You obviously don't know how useless your info is. Make Bluelight a better place--- know what you're talking about before you post.

I did mean 0.2 mg. The person I know who owns it has a perfectly legitmate reasons for owning and using the scale. But I would point out that there are plenty of chemicals out there that are active/toxic at amounts of 1 mg and less. Measuring out these chemicals would make accuracy to at least tenths of a milligram a necessity.

X. Torris

Skrilla said:

Please differentiate between your opinion, and actual fact.

I am going by fact, not opinion. I actually conducted some trials with reference weights (a 2mg one) and other scales. The Gempros came out last in quality. Last we talked you didn't have reference weights. I guess you got a new set? Do you actually have milligram reference weights? Like a 1mg, 2mg, 5mg, 10mg weight?

Last we talked you didn't have reference weights. I guess you got a new set? Do you actually have milligram reference weights? Like a 1mg, 2mg, 5mg, 10mg weight?

In fact, I did - because I was sick of hearing a bunch of shit talked about a perfectly good scale (no offense).
So I got a 2mg weight, and a 10mg weight, along with the 10 gram weight that came with the scale.

All tests showed it's accuracy, and repeatability as PERFECT.

Like I've said several times on this subject, I'm sure there are some bad ones, and I know for a fact there are some good ones (GemPro 50's) as well. That's why I say, if you get a bad one, exchange it and you'll probably get a good one. For the price, I'd say it's worth it - especially with how many people around here don't even HAVE scales.

Last edited:
Too much dogma on this subject.

Accuracy can be greatly increased by liquid measuring. If you have a .02 gram scale and a gram of substance you can theoretically get about +/- 2% accuracy. In reality it would be a bit worse. But I'd say +/- 5% is more than enough accuracy for just about any substance. Ingesting these drugs is always risky, and everyone needs to be aware of the risks of botching a measurment.

But not everyone carries the same concept of acceptable risk AND it depends on the substance! I've taken DPT on numerous occasions without the use of any measuring at all, aside from a careful eye. The only negative consequence was a number of under-doses.

X. Torris said:
You obviously don't know how useless your info is. Make Bluelight a better place--- know what you're talking about before you post.

I did mean 0.2 mg. The person I know who owns it has a perfectly legitmate reasons for owning and using the scale. But I would point out that there are plenty of chemicals out there that are active/toxic at amounts of 1 mg and less. Measuring out these chemicals would make accuracy to at least tenths of a milligram a necessity.

X. Torris

What chemicals are those? I don't recall ever seeing any such chemical discussed on bluelight. I'm sure that they exist, obviously, but i dont see such a thing in pihkal, tihkal, or here (except for a few relatively inactive substances on those lists)

And I searched all over the net for a scale that accurate. You'll have to point me (us) in a better direction or something. You can't seriously be talking about those 3 foot-tall things. I don't even consider that an option. lol...

I can't find any website who sell tanita and ship in canada at 200$ .
This realy sux , i just found a tanita on ebay but the price was like 260 us . What a joke , and somebody bought it at this price LOL .

Im stuck with my mx50 , if anybody got some info for me (pM) thanks

Not to mention pure Salvinorin-A from Salvia. Not many people would want to smoke a milligram of that...

This is the most repetitive topic here it seems like. The first time I got 2C-I we just started out by weighing out the half gram and diluted it into water cause no one had a good enough scale. This system works perfectly fine for me. Now we have an accurate enough scale and after doing liquid measure set out the dosage and let it evaporate and measured what was left and it was only 1 mg off from what we thought. With 2C-I I have eyed out doses for myself and never had trouble. I can handle high doses pretty easy so if I made a mistake I wouldnt be fucked but I think people just need more common sense. Spending $150 on something you might only want to do a couple times is stupid. Just get an accurate enough scale to measure your starting weight. If you have some common sense left then you should be able to do the liquid measurement explained at erowid. If you follow it carefully then it will be as accurate as you want it to be.

Originally posted by Psilo707
And I searched all over the net for a scale that accurate. You'll have to point me (us) in a better direction or something. You can't seriously be talking about those 3 foot-tall things. I don't even consider that an option. lol...

Look at auctions--- I know of at least two websites that auction off new and used surplus lab equipment.

Don't be put off if you see some scales that cost thousands--- keep checking back to see the type of balance that suits your purposes. And don't expect to see an excellent deal right off the bat (if you do, I'd consider you extremely lucky).

Buying a good scale is like any other investment i.e. buying a car or a house (but it shouldn't cost as much :D) : you're better off taking your time and doing thorough research.

And I'm not saying EVERYONE needs to own an otherwise expensive super-accurate scale--- it's just a really good idea for anyone interested enough to drop the amount of money required to purchase many of the chemicals these days. If a Tanita accurate to 2mg works for someone, fine. They just shouldn't try and measure tiny amounts or chemicals where a 1-2mg difference in dose can make a big difference in effects-- and be prepared to accept the risk that an ever-so-slightly off scale can result in a markedly more intense experience than they planned on.

Originally posted by sharinthegroove
If you have some common sense left then you should be able to do the liquid measurement explained at erowid. If you follow it carefully then it will be as accurate as you want it to be.

Yeah, when done correctly (and often it is NOT), the liquid measurement method can be safely accurate, but the increased risk of bacterial/fungal contamination and chemical degredation make it a piss-poor way to store chemicals for any length of time.

Spending $150 for an otherwise accurate scale for a couple uses is much more intelligent than eyeballing a dose, IMO. A good scale is handy to have around and, with proper care and maintenence, should remain in good shape indefinitely. If one finds they have no use for it after a few uses, they can at least turn around and sell it--- and if the responses in this thread are any guide, a good scale could have a relatively high resale value.

X. Torris

for substabces such as 2ci, 2ce, 5-meo-det, etc. (active at low doses) would it be wiser to put the powder in a gel cap that weighs 50mg and then weigh it?

Yeah, I believe this was mentioned before. I always weigh the dose on a clean tray and then reweigh it in a gelcap.

I UTFSE and couldn't find a definite answer to my question.

I keep hearing different things, could someone please clarify. Assume I have a scale that's 50g x .01g.

Please tell me if this is correct: a reading of 10mg, could really be ~5mg-15mg, and 15-25 mg would read 20mg? Or would a reading of 10mg really be anything between 0mg-20mg?
I was told .01g/2 would be your margin of error, so in this case +/- .005g.
This makes more sense to me, but since there was no description like (+/- .01g), I'm not quite sure which it is.

Also, is there a difference between a scale's resolution and its readability?

I don't plan on using this scale for measurements under ~25mg.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I have a bucket of water handy in case some flames happen to spontaneously appear. :\

NOTE: I only ask this because I got a good deal on the scale and I just want to know its capabilities. I don't need a"buy a real scale lecture."

Last edited:
thanks for the link but they dont ship in canada ...

As for ebay , look at that :
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4104316900
Its already 40$ more than those website and the listing is not even finish . 2 hours remain .
ANyway , ebay is plain lame . Not hard to see the seller bid on their own item .

The item was sold like 1 week ago by the same seller ... look :
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8&category=3824&sspagename=STRK:MEBDW:IT&rd=1

100canadian dollard more than those website ...

Hello. maybe this is not the best thread to post it, but as you've been discussing about accuracy and so...
I'm looking for some advise.
I filled two gelcaps with 16mg of 2c-e each (weighted with tanita 1210-100). I'm gonna try this compound with my gf for the first time. Would you take a cap each or would you dilute them both in water and then divide the volume? I don't want my girlfriend to take by mistake 18mg (as she i no so experienced with psychedelics).
thanks a lot!!

i dont think 2ce is a good start in psycadelic . 2ce is kinda pretty serious .

DMX said:
i dont think 2ce is a good start in psycadelic . 2ce is kinda pretty serious .

DMX, it's not a first time with psychedelics but with 2ce. i know 2ce is a serious substance, that's why i care about those 2 mg's :)

I second the recommendation for
TANITA MODEL 1210 $199 accuracy is Grams: 10 g x 0.002 g

To verify it, I also purchased a set of precise calibration weights
from

http://www.itinscale.com/calibration_weights.htm
ITEM## 218-16 $36

This set of calibration weights contains 1, 5, 10, 15 mg etc.

and I verified my Tanita's measurements... was right on.

I might be in the market for a new scale soon, preferably one that measures accurately to the milligram, possibly smaller. Does anyone know of a good scale that measures accurately to the milligram and is relatively cheap? Feel free to PM me with the info if you don't want to post it here, thanks for all the info you can give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.