Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Buspar/10 mg) Experienced: Medical and recreational values

Jamshyd

Bluelight Crew
This report is antiquated, yet has recently been randomly revived. I wrote it in my late teens, so excuse the silly language. - Jam.

I was at one point perscribed Buspar for my Social Anxiety Disorder. I decided to write down a couple of notes since there is not much info on it.

Before I began, I decided to see what happens if I snort one of the 10mg pills. Stpid, stupid, STUPID. This was one of my biggest drug screwups ever!

Ok, so I crush the pill very carefully. I think split the powder in half and snort each half in each nostrill. No significant burn or smell. I do not remember if there was a drip or not.

First there was nothing. Then, perhaps 10 mins later, I became aware of a sedation coupled with stimulation. It wasn't bad at all. And then... ZAP! it feels (and sounds) as if my brain was electrocuted. After maybe 10 seconds, another zap. 10 Seconds, another zap. 10 seconds, another zap (of course, the times are just estimated). As I experienced these zaps (which were VERY uncomfortable), I started feeling some vertigo and nausea was starting to build up.

I went to lie down. I was VERY disoriented. The zaps eventually stopped, but now I was in a very uncomfortable place, physically and mentally. The most significant effect, perhaps, was that all sounds sounded distant, and yet they all sounded like a very high pitched metal click that HURT the ears. I think there was some amnesia since I did not notice much of the two hours I spent lying down in that state. After about 2 hours, these effects quickly began to subsde, leaving me with a hung over feeling.

---

After that experience, I just took Buspar as ordered by the idiot psychiatrist. The first few days, there was marked nausea. Then the nausea went away, and I did not feel any changes with the drug. As time progressed though, I felt more 'sober' than I normally am. It was as if I was TOO sober,if you know what I mean. My thoughts were very concrete and I seem to have lost a significant ammount of my artistic and creative side. The only drug I ever took with it was Cannabis, and they did not seem to interact.

What was ammusing is that this drug did not helpwith my Social Anxiety at all. It may have turned down my slight Paranoia, but not my Social Anxiety. I felt it was utterly useless to my purpose (though we got to give it credit for the total lack of side effects after the initial nausea was gone). My friend who has Social Anxiety also had a course on this drug and it did not help him either. IMHO, this drug is more of a mild anti-psychotic than an Anxiolytic.

---

Oh and by the way? NEVER tell your psychiatrist that you use(d) recreation drugs. They will not give you the right medication. I know that Benzodiazepines are perfect for me, since my Social Anxiety comes in attacks. But no, he refused to perscribe them (I never asked specifically for them, but I said I didn't want SSRI's. And he seemed adamant on perscribing them. Like WTF? I don't want them JUST because you are so excited to perscribe them! lol. So eventually hegave me useless Buspar.

I am thinking of seeing another psychiatrist and NOT tell him about my drug use.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_buspar
substancecode_buspirone
explevel_experienced
explevel_retrospective
exptype_negative
roacode_oral
roacode_nasal

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this rare report! Good to have it as an addition to our ever growing database :)

Taken from rxlist.com:

Buspirone HCl is an antianxiety agent that is not chemically or pharmacologically related to the benzodiazepines, barbiturates, or other sedative/anxiolytic drugs.

BuSpar is supplied for oral administration in 5 mg and 10 mg, white, ovoid-rectangular, scored tablets. BuSpar tablets, 5 mg and 10 mg, contain the following inactive ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, and sodium starch glycolate

Some more info here

I took Buspar for a few months a couple of years ago. It did nothing for me and really isnt meant for anything more than mild anxiety. Benzo's such as Klonipin and Xanax are the only real help. Problem is the are very addictive.

qanan, love the avitar, shame I lost my sublime cd along with all the other good shit.......

I'm sorry, I just never saw any chance of recreational value in Buspar from day 1. Perhaps that's just me. Still, if some curious mind reads this, at least you might convince them to snort only 5mg instead of 10mg.

/rant

How long ago was it that you were prescribed this?

Oh sorry, I didn't make that clear enough... it was a HORRIFIC experience. DO NOT snort Buspar ;)

I was on it last october/november.

umm, a buddy of mine gets like 120 of these a month and hands em out to his friends...
i snorted like 3 of these things and thought it was KINDA euphoric, maybe i just liked the high for what it was?

Being disoriented does not equal being high ;).

But whatever floats your boat, I guess. Just don't overdo it because something so shitty could not possibly be healthy.

ewwww, buspar is nasty nasty nasty.

IME, there is absolutely no medical or recreational value to buspirone, and I honestly don't see how doctors are still prescribing that garbage. I was given it after being taken off of K-pins in 07, and it didn't help a damn bit, and it definitely does not get you high.

Ive tried this twice... snorting 5 mg each time and it was always the last thing I remembered for the night, I passed out right afterwards-- I'm rx'ed Buspar, but I was curious what insuffiating would do-- after a xanax and soma I was high enough to try..

It wasnt a necessarily bad experience, it just makes me pass out..

Last edited:
I would like to see buspar go the way of darvocet.

ebola

Funny this thread just popped up, I just got prescribed 40 of the 15 mg bars.. I have a good deal of experience with alproz and clonaz, and was thinking of saving these for times I am WDing from some opiates and need some sleep or maybe a bit of a placebo effect.

From what I've read, these things are worthless, eh?

Absolutely, yes.
I just got headaches, nausea and increased anxiety.
They might help your anxiety after a good stint on them, but you're unlikely to get any benefits using them for Opiate withdrawals (or any form of withdrawal actually).
It's like Antidepressants in the sense that you need to take them for weeks to see if you'll benefit from them.
I concur with ebola.

Yet another one of those "the ones that mother give you don't do anything at all" drugs.

Yea, I had my round with that one after my first episode of panic attacks. These occurred of course while I was put one the first anti-depressent (SRRI Prozac ,fluoxitene) sp? Once again, the damn GP wrote a prescription for a whopping 10 .5mg zanax (you'd think they were the most dangerous drug on earth the way those things get prescribed to me). Then he decided that maybe the prozac induced the panic attacks so he switches me to Buspar. The only thing that drug did was make me feel "not right" and gave me headaches. And on we go down the SRRI path, next was Paxil, then Celexa via a horrible experience with Effexor. Effexor is IME the absolutely worst drug I have ever been prescribed. I went absolutely manic on the shit.
I'll get off my soap box now:)

Last edited:
think i read on erowid or here
not to eat more than 30 mg's
without a tolerance

forget why
extreme brain zaps
or
easy to o.d on

This is the latest useless "anti-anxiety" drug that I have been prescribed. I have been put on Prozac, Effexor, and Seroquel all over the last three years and none of them seemed to work well for my anxiety disorder and panic episodes. This new doctor I just started seeing started me on Buspar: 15mg a day for a week and then I just recently got up to my 30mg a day dosage a few days ago.

I can attest to what has already been said in this thread; all I have had for the past two weeks is nasty side effects. The nausea is the worst of them all, next to the brain zaps and headaches. It also gives me a really unpleasant light-headed feeling. My muscles are a little tense and jittery. What I find ironic is that the feeling of nausea from this medication makes my panic episodes more frequent. It does not offer me the instant or preventative relief that I need for my constant free-floating high anxiety levels. I don't see why anyone would want to pursue this medication for recreational purposes.

Drug use history didn't even come up with this new doctor, unlike the other two where it was a major block in my getting effective treatment. Hopefully this new doctor will be more open to my concerns if these nasty side effects from the Buspar don't ease up in the next two weeks.

Im not sure if i had the 5mg or 10mg pills of this stuff but i would take(swallow) two ofem and just get knocked out... After intense dizziness and wicked brain zaps...those zaps wernt that uncomfy to me, actually kinda tickled and made me smile but that lasted for only a couple mins before i had to lay down and passed out the moment i hit the pillow. No nausea for me but thats prob kuz i always got knocked out. lol

Buspar sucks...made me sick/nauseous, like others have noticed above. Think I had the brain zaps as well. How is this supposed to help w/anxiety? Shitty drug.

terrible chemical. i was prescribed this for anxiety after they decided i had been using diazepam for too long.

benzo withdrawl coupled with an anti-anxiety drug that actually INCREASES anxiety and replicated benzo withdrawl.. daft. waste of space