Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Buspar/10 mg) Experienced: Medical and recreational values

Nothing gained, nothing lost

I registered to just to comment on this. Thank you all for sharing your personal experiences. Here's mine from last night:

T+0 - I took one 15mg pill orally on an empty stomach.

T+20min - I noticed feeling very slight disorientation. This led to my normal brief rise in anxiety that I get when I use any substance.

T+30min - Still slight disorientation, but not uncomfortable. Tried to walk and noticed that basic motor skills weren't working as normal (bumping into walls, missing light switches, etc.). I was also still feeling anxious, but for no known reason, which is uncommon for me.

T+60min - Time passed very quickly. The anxiety had faded and I felt sleepy but alert. I decided to take another 15mg pill orally and then ate immediately afterwards.

T+1h30min - I started experiencing the "zaps" that others had talked about, especially when moving. The sensation is similar to what I've felt on dextromethorphan and more acutely with doxylamine succinate. (Side note: I'm very curious as to what causes this. It almost seems related to the jolt you feel when you start to get "the nods" on higher doses of opiates.)

T+2h - I have quite a bit of memory loss, but I was very sleepy and easily passed out on the couch while watching a movie with the wife.

Afterthoughts: I see no recreational value in this substance, and I see no psychonautical values either. I didn't feel any after effects in the morning. Nothing gained, but nothing lost. Hopefully this will be useful to others.

Woah, blast from the past! I forgot all about this TR :D.

I never touched buspirone since that day, and never will again. Glad you don't have brain-zaps... that said, I honestly don't think you should be snorting buspar as snorting does nothing better than just eating it...

I'm in the same situation as you. Former drug abuser with drug abuse on my record limiting me from getting anything good for my anxiety.

Good report, reminds me of my doc. They can be so stubborn, once their mind is set on a "no-narcotic" medicine then you won't be getting anything to help even legitimate issues. I simply told him that SSRIs made me go psycho. I felt that they actually did because I actually had a panic attack and horrible rage on Lexapro. I was driven to the ER and prescribed .5mg of Klonopin and .25mg of Xanax. I remember being prescribed to Buspar and I couldn't relate better with the uncomfortableness and zapping sensations! I remember I took around 50mg (5x 10mg) and Jesus Christ I was driven up the walls by those zaps! I never took them again after that. Fortunately a few months later my family doctor actually understood my anxiety and was able to prescribe me Alprazolam (Xanax) separately from which the ER had prescribed me.

Wow, Im shocked at this thread. I was given BusPar from my shrink a few weeks ago and Im having a blast with it. I take 15mg twice a day. I actually take my dose in morning and rail the rest throughout the day. All I know, from my own experience is, this is a wonder med. It gives me just the buzz Im looking for and its NOT a controlled substance. I feel like Ive struck gold. It only lasts 30 minutes or so and it def helps my anxiety a lot. I rail a about 15-20mg at night, ride it out and watch an old movie on TCM and enjoy. Ive been on all the benzos and all they did was put me to sleep. This is more of a speed buzz and no...its not a freakin placebo buzz. I surely know the difference. I had no "zaps" or anything. Does anyone else know what I speak of? Prob not huh? Im also on Zoloft...an SSRI 150mg and Haloperidol 5mg a day. Im doing very well now and Im also on Methadone 40mg a day for chronic pain. Everytime I try to catch some sort of buzz, its to take me away from this horrible pain. So, maybe Im stupid but it works for me. Thanks!

Wow, Im shocked at this thread. I was given BusPar from my shrink a few weeks ago and Im having a blast with it. I take 15mg twice a day. I actually take my dose in morning and rail the rest throughout the day. All I know, from my own experience is, this is a wonder med. It gives me just the buzz Im looking for and its NOT a controlled substance. I feel like Ive struck gold. It only lasts 30 minutes or so and it def helps my anxiety a lot. I rail a about 15-20mg at night, ride it out and watch an old movie on TCM and enjoy. Ive been on all the benzos and all they did was put me to sleep. This is more of a speed buzz and no...its not a freakin placebo buzz. I surely know the difference. I had no "zaps" or anything. Does anyone else know what I speak of? Prob not huh? Im also on Zoloft...an SSRI 150mg and Haloperidol 5mg a day. Im doing very well now and Im also on Methadone 40mg a day for chronic pain. Everytime I try to catch some sort of buzz, its to take me away from this horrible pain. So, maybe Im stupid but it works for me. Thanks!
When I first tried Buspirone, it was the Xanax looking bar. I felt like I had taken a bar. The first time was actually amazing but then when I asked to be put on it, It was horrible. The zaps sucked and I just felt totally uncomfortable.

What pure, useless garbage. Why not just give the patient NOTHING instead of wasting pen ink and paper to produce a script for junk like Buspar.

I actually found it an insult to be given this by a doctor.

Nice report, man.

I was thinking about asking my idiot psychiatrist for buspirone but now I'm not so sure.

He won't prescribe me benzodiazepines either because of my drug use, even if I explained to him that i get absolutely zero euphoria from lorazepam, and that i learned long ago that it is a tool and that there is no high to be had, but he won't go for it. He's got me on sertraline and I don't take it because it doesn't work for my social anxiety and I don't trust SSRI meds anyways.

Buspar fucking pisses me off!! I went to a shrink SOLEY for help with my panic attacks and anxiety.. She gave be 2 mg klonopin and that world well for me. I was sexually assaulted around the same time and I took too many of them and so my stupid cunt of a mother called my doc and told her I took ALL my pills which is not even true no after my next appointment she refused to continue giving me any kind of benzos and switches me to this useless fucking shit.. Now I have to find yet ANOTHER doc that doesn't just label as a drug addict because I've experimented with drugs in the past. I wanted to say to her, what would you have done after being raped???? Is it that bad that I reacted by taking more anxiety meds than I should?? I have been traumatized by the incident and now I feel as no one will help me.. Not even the one person who is supposed to- my doctor!! Fuck buspar!! I just want to blow up the bottle in her fucking office and tell her to go fuck herself!!!

The funny thing BM, is that back in the 1950s if you were impregnated by your rapist the same doctor would have told you that you would be forced to have the baby. 65% of all anti-abortionists are actually MEN, and most of those are drug "warriors" too...food for thought. This doctor is a real fucking bitch. If it was me I'd slap the shit out of her. No joke, honey, none at all.

The same thing happens with docs these days with drugs - you are treated like shit. Nobody wants to help, and most only care to cast judgment and tell you that you have no guts...but these people have never been raped, never been traumatized, never been impregnated by a rapist, and...most of them are MEN, some of them are women unfortunately so seeing another female doctor won't necessarily give you what you want.

We still have no right to our own bodies. This phony war on drugs proves that point so eloquently that little else needs to be said.

I am a doctor in the US, and I second what everyone else says here: If you want any chance of ever being scripted a scheduled substance in the future, including for legitimate purposes, give no healthcare worker who has the ability to document in your chart the slightest indication you've ever had anything to do with recreational drugs. Unless your use of drugs has landed you in a life-threatening medical emergency, you have absolutely nothing to gain, and much to lose, by disclosing any drug use past or present. The legal climate under which healthcare workers practice creates this status quo naturally.

The party line in the US healthcare system is that any and all use of illegal drugs constitutes abuse, and once an abuser, always a potential abuser.

As for buspirone, I've seen it work for people as an adjunct to other antidepression treatments, but it has a poor track record as primary or monotherapy.

^that isn't necessarily true, but it is true to the extent that i would generalize it to be.

if you really need a benzo, keep trying, and keep telling the truth. don't give up and self medicate too soon.

Last edited:
The only use SWIM has found for it.....it that it makes a GREAT "filler" when turning Crappy Mex Tar into powder.
No burn....no head "zaps".....and best of all....when mixed like that.....you CANNOT cook it up and try to slam it.

I have used this mix to help out a buddy get his girls off the spike and eventually down to nothing....

Suboxone worked great for me.....not a craving one.....but it is SO hard to get a hold of in texas...

thanks guys

Lol I get prescribed buspar 15mg 3times daily and they work just take more!! Its safe, im 16 and I get prescribed 0.5mg klonopins on top of that. And seroquel 100mgs in the day 300mg at night. Just got to continue to go to your psychiatrist. Never tell drug probs and go for about a 1year and and explain every single problem. Youll get what you need

buspar feels awful and doesnt usually work.many phyciatrists will not give u wat u need often even if u explain y u need it.it works much better buying sum supplements like kava and taking those!!!if a doctor says take buspar 4 anxiety or ssris and he wont give u like maybe valium get vistaril at least it helps a little buspar makes anxiety worse!!!

^ I agree that kava kava is a excellent anxiolytic. It's also a far superior "lounging" sort of social drug than alcohol, IMHO -- all the relaxed disinhibition and enhancement of the joys of conversation, with far less body load. It's also got a hint of the psychedelic headspace, to me, that I've never felt on any synthetic GABA agonist.

However, benzos (and alcohol. and kava.) are not for daily use. FWIW I go against the medical community's consensus that having up to 2, or 1 depending who you ask, alcoholic beverages every day is the overall healthiest consumption pattern for this drug. Benzos and kava are easier on your body than alcohol, but the problem is getting off of them once you've taken them every day for more than, say, 10-14 days. Withdrawal for GABAergics is a world of pain, and a lot of people who abuse these drugs heavily and for long periods feel not quite right for months to years after.

Vistaril is an anticholinergic, like diphenhydramine. Sure, these all have some antidepressant properties. Just like most antidepressants have some anticholinergic activity, so likely some of the necessary neural activity loops for depression involve cholinergic neurons. But these have nothing to do with drugs like valium, effect wise or at the molecular level.

Using valium to treat depression is a terrible idea.

Buspar is one of those drugs that you would appreciate if you ran out of medicine.
If you were withdrawling cold turkey from benzos or something you might appreciate them.
I just got a bunch of the 5mg tablets and I tried them out. I was even splitting them. I think they are great as a backup medicine.

What's crazy is, my buddy gave me 30mg worth.. I just have them.. I mean.. I don't see the point of using them. I went to my psychiatrist asking about Buspar. Her exact words, "I don't prescribe buspar, it is honestly useless and out of all of my patients I've only heard of 1 that actually saw any improved anxiety. I think it was more placebo than anything"

Her exact words.

Also can totally empathize about telling your doctor you had a history of drug abuse and it totally fucking you over. My psych was prescribing me kpins and when I told her about my past, she immediately stopped prescribing them. She also refuses to prescribe me any ADD medications. I love addies and vyvanse.. so I was super upset when she wouldn't even consider it. If your psych isn't willing to offer benzos even, then your best bet is to find a new psychiatrist. Unless you are genuinely wanting to get better. If you are, any respectable doctor is not going to prescribe you addictive drugs when they know you were at one time an addict/drug abuser. So for true therapeutic progress, avoiding benzos and amps is a very good thing. However, if you're like me and just love recreation.. then yeah switch psychiatrists ;)

I was on buspar for a while. First week, I was happy all week. No anxiety, no depression. I felt great 24/7. Then it just dropped off and did nothing and my doctor took me off. One time I took a double dose by accident and I was slightly loopy. That first week, though... Too bad it didn't last.

In reply to: think i read on erowid or here
not to eat more than 30 mg's
without a tolerance

forget why
extreme brain zaps
or
easy to o.d on
This is not easy to od on. They probably said that because it had some nasty side effects. I took 105mg and didn't od. So I can definitely say for sure that you can't easily od off of this unless you use alcohol. I kinda want to od on it with alcohol but I am afraid to do it that way because I know how bad it feels to be on 105mg so I can only imagine how bad it would feel if I did that with alcohol. Instead I am going to use alcohol vapors to od on. That will be easy kus it enters into your bloodstream directly. By the way I did some research on how much it takes to od on this drug. I found out about this clinical trial. They gave 365mg to willing test subjects to see how much it takes to od on. They threw up and had a few more symptoms that I forget the name of. The point is it took 365mg to come close to death. So it is very hard to od on this drug. It is very easy to feel like shit from this drug though. This drug is by far the worst drug ever created, for a few different reasons.

Last edited:
Are you announcing your intention to commit suicide or did I misunderstand your post?