[09] Why I Would Never Deal Drugs by Anonymous

Catch-22

Bluelighter
Following your dreams might not be all that it seems.

Drugs are illegal, well most of the ones with any worthwhile recreational effects will have some sort of legal penalties in some form. Possession is one thing but actually selling those drugs ups the stakes and the sentences obviously increase. Are you willing to take that risk?

Being in a position where you have the knowledge and connections to sell drugs doesn't mean that you can cope with the mental pressure this puts you under. Providing a service for people where they will get the best available products at a reasonable price without having to deal with the stereotypical scary dealers sounds like a consumers dream. But coping with the stress this puts you under is a different story.

Before you start selling drugs you have to ask yourself: Do I have the time to do this? Being a drug dealer is a 24-hour job, where sleep can often be interrupted by a phone call from people in particularly more high spirits than you.

Having access to lots of drugs isn't all it seems. The temptation is constantly there and when the new batch arrives and is better than last weeks then surely you would want to take it. And of course if you are doing your job properly then trying it before you sell it has to be the case, but when the next week's batch is even better you are obviously taking too much. It takes a toll.

With drugs everyone experiences the highs and the lows. Being in a club where everyone including one of your favorite DJ's are on possibly the best pills in the world can be an amazing feeling even sober. But is this worth the paranoia answering the phone gives you even from recognized numbers that could easily have been taken over by the authorities trying to set you up?

It would seem the more you live your dreams the more you become paranoid. It doesn't seem real that you can get away with doing what you always wanted to do. But when you wanted to give people happiness did you ever realize that happiness from drugs doesn’t always last? Seeing your friends struggling to cope with the day after is not fun especially knowing that without you this might not have happened. Everyone has a conscience and everyone has a breaking point but when everyone around you including yourself is suddenly realizing (again) that some things are best kept to special occasions and having them around you all the time makes this a lot harder.

In an ideal world drugs would be legal and controlled by the government, available without all the hassle that you always seem to go though, but this world is not ideal and nor is being a drug dealer. Risking your future for the sake of other people's happiness and money is not a good idea. There are plenty of legal ways to make people happy and get money so taking an illegal route is not the wisest of options.

If you are reading this thinking I can get drugs cheap and I know I can sell them then think again. Even though you might be able to do this it doesn't mean you can cope with the paranoia doing something you know is wrong can give you. To most people you might look like an everyday person going about your day but deep inside you know you are doing something illegal. This thought can make you incredibly paranoid even to the point where you change things about your life just to make sure. Do you really want to have to live in a life of uncertainty, a life where one little mistake could cost you your future? I hope not.

Even though taking drugs responsibly is becoming more and more accepted in western societies selling drugs is a totally different story. Buying a few more pills to sort out you and your friends is considered dealing. Not to mention just passing a drug to a person even if no money changes hands in the eyes of the law is solicitation meaning a heftier sentence would be given.

If you yourself are careful about your activities that doesn't mean the people you sell to will be. Someone could quite easily overdose or have a bad reaction. Do you think you could cope with knowing it was you who sold them that?

Basically what I am trying to say here is being a drug dealer is not as glamorous as you first perceive it to be. It's not an advised career and I hope from reading this you will think again before engaging in such a serious illegal activity.

Note: The legal consequences of distributing or selling drugs vary from country to country. Please check with the Legal Q&A forum for specific information.

Reminder: I am posting this essay on behalf of someone else. These comments are not an official policy statement. Whether you want to agree or disagree, please put your thoughts in this thread. Do not send me PM's or emails unless you are contributing a new essay of your own. Thanks!

Nice essay however I disagree with this:

Even though you might be able to do this it doesn't mean you can cope with the paranoia doing something you know is wrong can give you

The only thing that tells us that drugs are "wrong" is the current government sponsored propaganda spread by the media about the "wrongs and evils" of drugs. While in reality many of us believe there is nothing more wrong with verious illegal drugs vs current legal ones. So what if you do not believe what you are doing is wrong ? What if you are either a) trying to help people obtain substances they want anyway b) make money while doing it. Connect a+b, you are a "dealer" but should you be paranoid about it ? I don't know, it certinly takes guts, but also a strong belief in what you are doing is not "wrong" just because the majority of the society says so.

im glad not everyone has this disposition. it would really suck having to grow or make your own drugs

The tone here is a bit preachy, but I agree that sometimes kids can think selling drugs is all cherries when it's really not.

"Before you start selling drugs you have to ask yourself: Do I have the time to do this? Being a drug dealer is a 24-hour job, where sleep can often be interrupted by a phone call from people in particularly more high spirits than you."

put your phone on silent? it doesn't have to be a 24 hour job at all. dealers can work their own hours and shut shop whenever they wish. Can be a very versatile job depending on your circumstances

this is a really important read that i think is gonna get passed by as fluff by too many.

recommended summer reading: this thread. take it to heart from those who know.

-j.

This essay is really one sided. Almost all of the possibilities it talks about are nowhere near guaranteed to take place. I know dealers that don't use their own drugs, don't work 24/7, are not paranoid and are living an awesome life. Dealing is just the American dream, counter culture style. Some are good at it, some aren't.

Dealers are 24/7 around here, especially meth and heroin. Don't go telling a heroin user that you've "shut shop", or you won't expect to ever get them back... or a meth user, they're out all hours of the night, they aren't going to bother with someone that's "shut shop" every night, because 90% of meth users score after midnight.

Dealers that don't use drugs? Pfft... Very rarely have I seen anyone that got into the dealing business to make money... they do it for the free drugs, but it also has the added perk of not having to get a proper job, but they definetely do use a shitload (that's the only plus side to dealing, lots of free drugs).

while it's true that most street level drug dealer do it to support their habbit if one moves further up the chain most of them don't use drugs and are in it only for the money.

while it's true that most street level drug dealer do it to support their habbit if one moves further up the chain most of them don't use drugs and are in it only for the money.
Are you talking from experience? because this is certainly not true.

Sure you can speculate about criminal syndicates smuggling in 100's of kilo's heroin/coke, but the VAST majority of dealers use, and a fair fucking lot. Marijuana grower... they're top of the chain... they use. Methamphetamine producer (home lab)... they're top of the chain... they use.

Nobody does it for money, bar criminal gangs... there are exceptions though.

Just for the record, there are many dealers, who although they use, use very rarely. For example I know plenty of dealers of psychedelics and empathogens who do what they do for the love of what they do. They enjoy sharing a possibly life changing (for the better) experience with people they know, love and care about. I even know opiate dealers who share their supply with other people who are suffering from chronic pain and cannot find a doctor willing to treat them. Many of these psychedelic dealers only trip themselves a couple times per year, and this is because they believe it is beneficial. Both of these classes of dealers are not "Addicts", but instead they know that they have access to something extremely rare and hard to find for most people, and do the favor of sharing that access. In general, yes, people who sell drugs will also use the drugs occassionally, because if they believed otherwise it would be hypocritical of them to suggest to their users that they buy some.

I'm sorry that so many people have had negative experiences with greedy, selfish or ignorant dealers. I definately understand why, as my sociology book explained, many poor people who grew up without any hope or opportunities for a good education, or a promising career turn towards "alternate opportunity structures" including drug dealing, which are the only chance they have where they can feel proud about their successes and in rare cases build up enough income to move onto other careers which depend on having assets, such as being a landlord or a small business owner.

Its a dirty business but someones gotta do it. You know the consequences, taking risks is an easy way to make money for alot of people everyday.

Paranoia has an uncanny ability to limit unjust activities.. then again, profit can influence the actions of even the most ethic bound persons.
(Given that the majority of persons see such activities as unethical)
As Bowdenta said, that god all people aren't like minded.
;)
PEACE

i think someone who could sell drugs and not feel paranoid about it or not be upset that they could possibly kill someone indirectly is somewhat of a sociopath.

as for being open 27/7, if you're not, the people that you deal to will take their business to someone who is.

I definetly know dealers who are in it completely for the money and dont use drugs themselves. Chubba, I think its a greedy American thing. Other that that, i have a great deal of respect for a GOOD dealer....one that has quality product at a fair price, and has to deal with the fact that they will go to jail for a long time if the gov't. caught them doing their job. But i also agree that dealing is not a 24/7 job....it seems a lot of them are powerhungary, and make sure ppl know that we need them, and their users run on THEIR time. but big ups to my dealer for being a coolcat.

djwhirlpool said:
i think someone who could sell drugs and not feel paranoid about it or not be upset that they could possibly kill someone indirectly is somewhat of a sociopath.
It all depends on what you're dealing also. A pot dealer isn't gonna worry about people hurting themselves. Even those that sell harder drugs, even if they are concerned with the safety of their clients, if they are good they need not be paranoid about the authorities. I respect dealers that put their clients safety before profit, not profit before clients safety. Like everything else, there is a good side and a bad side %)