• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How has University changed your life?

School has just reinforced in me the thought that I am faking my way through life. I never go to class, I get b's and c's, I change my major every other month. Its all pretty sad. I want to write but I'm not sure anyone would buy it so I major in stupid crap that doesnt interest me furthering the ridiculousness of the whole situation. Unfortunately I keep seeing all of this as just a vehicle to get me to where I need to be, financially secure and as high as possible for as long as possible until I tempt my fate one too many times and OD. As I mentioned in another post, I took this last year off to come to europe and work. I had hoped I would find something that interested me more then being f'd up 24/7 but my time here is almost up and I've yet to go a day without thinking that this was a bad idea and wanting to be back home in my apartment snorting/swallowing/slamming/smoking anything that came along. In a couple of weeks I'll be back to the states and back to school getting so high I dont know my own name or where I'm at on a daily basis. While here I have thought a lot about my life and learned to just accept who I am, a socialite drug addicted prick who doesnt give a damn about anything anymore.
Maybe I'll even stick with J-school this time seeing as how I just changed my declared major from chem to journalism. Daddys coming home so let the freak parade begin, man.

I don't feel changed a bit so far but I've only been in for one term. Not what I expected either as a few have said above. Feels like high school part II and I hated high school. Thought there'd be a lot more open minded people, and I've found a few but not what I imagined. I like learning and all but much perfer other methods than taking a crapload of notes and memorizing a bunch of facts I probably won't remember or really care about in a few months.

And my parents are paying for everything and it makes me feel like a shmuck. I hate being dependant. I'd rather work and struggle for awhile I think and do shit I want to do without having to awnser to anyone.

I'm not overly social either, and it takes me a long time to meet people I can hang around with a lot. But maybe it'll change. Or I'll take a break and do other stuff for awhile.

School sucks for me.

I have only been at university for 1 year and it has been an even mixture of good/bad times. The good times have been some of the best of my life but at the same time the lonliness (as I was not a very out going person and lived at opposite ends of the country from my family) were pretty hard.

I moved from a small town to one that has over 1 million people I went a bit crazy and started going out and experiencing the nightlife alot. My weekly allowance from the government was blown on drink/drugs and I have nothing really to show for it. I also developed a drinking problem in this time which I am now seeing counseling for. I have quit smoking and I plan to make a fresh start in 2006 and really get my shit together and start taking care of myself.

University and the college that I stay at has made me a lot more social and definetely more confident as I have had to make new friends and in a way fend for myself.

Is college what you thought it would be?

I always had this vision of what my college life would be like. It definitely is not what I expected...most of all I am way behind on graduating. Is it going how you thought it would be? Are you further behind than you want?

As far as the experience goes, it didn't really surprise me. I had a fairly realistic view and got what I expected.

I didn't expect to still be here 8 years later though. Not in the same course, but still studying all the same. I kind of thought I'd have a full-time job by the time I hit my mid-twenties.....

No it wasn't what I had expected initially but my Phd has largely turned out as I expected. University life gets more predictable every year and I find myself being increasingly turned off by the whole thing.

Only two more years to go though :D

I expected to go to uni straight after I graduated, or at least a year after. I didn't expect to do one year at an alternative school/college, then one year at univeristy only to realise the subject wasn't what I wanted to study, then work for a year and start uni again. Meanwhile most my friends have either gotten their Bachelor degree or are in their final year. :\

I had expected more partying but not living on campus does make you miss out a bit on the whole student experience. I don't think I could go back to living in a dorm though. I did that at the first college, and by the end I was sick of it. I've never drunk so much alcohol in my life. Now, after having lived both alone and with 2 flatmates, I don't think I could move in to a dorm filled with 18-year olds going crazy because this is the first time they move away from home.

I also expected that I'd study a lot more diligently this time. Instead, I'm on bluelight :(

Oh, and I had expected a lot more promiscuity.

i didn't expect EVERYONE around me to turn into alcoholics and boozehounds. Even my best friend, who's always been straight-laced and unique, finds it fun to hang out at frathoues. I, luckily, haven't shared the same fate, I find the whole thing disgusting.

I guess i'm not meeting as many people as i'd thought I would, and I didn't expect to be as stressed as I am.

Still my first year in college, I expect a lot to change still.

glitterbizkit said:
I had expected more partying but not living on campus does make you miss out a bit on the whole student experience. I don't think I could go back to living in a dorm though. I did that at the first college, and by the end I was sick of it. I've never drunk so much alcohol in my life. Now, after having lived both alone and with 2 flatmates, I don't think I could move in to a dorm filled with 18-year olds going crazy because this is the first time they move away from home.

I had lived away from home before I came to college and while I expected people to be a little crazy... I dunno. I just have a hard time going through whole drama/screw everyone/drink/more drama bullshit again. I already became an alcoholic, experimented, had more sex than my adolescent mind could handle and I agree, its really not that great to watch it happen a second time around :\

No wonder I just chill and smoke with all the stoners... waaaaaaaaaaay chiller than staying in the dorms on weekends :D

No. Academically speaking, theres alot more bubble-filling-in and alot less actual learning than i thought. Learning at a college level is nowhere near as fun or exploratory or exciting as i thought. Its all very regimented, segregated, and boring.

I dont know why anyone would want to stay in school to "avoid the real world". Unless you slack off and blow all the money you are spending to attend, being a student requires at least as much effort as a job. I have worked full time, and be a full time student, and the only reason I choose to be a student is so that I can get a better job.

Academically: No, I'm behind where I thought I would be.

Socially: Yes. I knew what the scene was like before I decided to attend a conservative and moderately religious, private school. I knew it was a bar school, with no parties, no greek life, and no drug users. Well, unless you count some alcohol, the two handfuls of potheads, and experimental coke users.

sushii said:
I didn't expect to still be here 8 years later though. Not in the same course, but still studying all the same. I kind of thought I'd have a full-time job by the time I hit my mid-twenties.....
Same here. I am 24 next month and been in college since 19. Granted I took a year off but still...all my old friends have graduated and working already.

College is not what I thought it would be. Of course, *I* am not what I though I would be :)

At age 18, I was directionless. I chose college because my parents and teachers told me to I had to go. I went to a state school and majored in "psychology" for 6 months before dropping out. I was a selfish, immature kid simply going through the motions....thinking that somebody was going to hand me my life on a silver platter.

Now at age 24, I have graduated, and am already taking classes with an eye on medical school. I am confident, I ace my exams, and best of all I have fun doing it. Basically the exact opposite of myself 6 years ago.

I would say that only in the last 2-3 years have I realized what college is *actually* about. The turning point was when I realized that I am in charge of my life. The point of college is to turn you into a productive member of society, and once you embrace that goal nothing can stop you from doing what you want.

Academically: I had not planned on studying quite as much as I have been. I knew that it was going to be demanding, but what I didn't know was how demanding my course load would be in comparison to those of my friends.

Should have gone a bit lighter for the first semester. Instead, I dove head first into waters untested. It's working out A-OK, I love being challenged and feeling like I'm really learning, but I'll admit it's a bigger bite than I planned.

Socially: waaay too much drinking/frat parties on this campus for my taste. The whole Greek life thing seems to me to be very hypocritical, pointless, demanding, and ignorant. The (un)prevalence of drugs, drug users, and intelligent drug users on campus has disappointed me a GREAT deal. I should have gone to a smaller, private school with a higher median ACT score. Or App State, for the drugs and Appalachian air.

For me University is all business with weekends for doing my head in. My work load is ridiculous, I spend almost every weekday studying from the time I get up until the time I go to sleep. I have very little time to myself, but hey I'm kicking ass this term.

The parties are the bars and clubs in my city. There's the occasional house party but we tend to go out on weekends far more than to someone's place. We have 2 frats at our school, neither of which I'd want to associate with (think geeky frat, I'd rather have animal house frat). The socials are excellent, gorgeous drunk 19 year olds can't be beat.

I've been in University for 7 years and I've really buckled down since I graduated highschool. When I was young and naive I thought University was the land of wild keg parties and a highschool like workload. Not so, we have snow 7 months of the year and during summer no one's in school. As I get older I find it harder to relate to some of the younger kids. At this stage I just want to get my professional life sorted out. University is a tough job but there are few things I'd rather be doing (unless someone wants to offer my band a multimillion dollar record deal).

Bump to see how things have changed over there years...

How has University changed YOUR life?