• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

thailand pharmacies

I've had plenty of 10mg valiums roche and blue, all from Pakistan or Phillipines though.

When I was in Bali bought some Valium and the lady at the pharmacy sold it per pill. I couldn't help but think of this documentary I saw about counterfeit drugs being manufactured in India. Apparently they can make the drugs and the packaging looks exactly like the real thing. They can even forge things such as the security holograms on packaging etc. The drugs contain very little of not any of the active ingredients. Poor countries etc buy these counterfeit drugs and they are used - like cancer drugs and everything. Makes you wonder if some SEA countries would buy these?

I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya in Feb '05.

Major crackdown on pharmacies selling psychoactives without scripts. Some nootropics available, anabolics real easy to get, some ephedrine, potent antibiotics and many other strong stuff.

I tried to get codeine to no avail. Things changed a lot in the last 10 years.

REMEMBER: Doing drugs in SE ASIA is playing russian roulette with your life. Thailand is extremely corrupt. Many dealers work with the police for a share of the extremely expensive bribe they will demand of you when you found with drugs. Don't pay, go to a Thai jail for a very long time !!

Could get 10mg valium in bangkkok given something like k at a club offered pills but it seemed too dodgy. in Ko Sami 10mg valium so easy went daily to a little pharmacy down an alley no worries there just asked for valium said i got them prescribed at home. "diet pills" as stated also readily available but all sold individually not in packets didn't think about it at the time but that is a suspicious they worked tho and very cheap.

Psychadelic_Paisly said:
Be careful, Asian countries are fucking angry when it comes to drugs. But OTC i reckon DXM would be easy and tasty =D
Who cares if it's a "cough suppressent" it's still a chemical like any other. If people start saying you're a dick for taking cough syrup, than they're the uninformed cock-smokers if you ask me

I feel the same way - I love it when idiots say shit like "you're drinking floor cleaner" when i take GBL or some other G analogue, when to me its a chemical like any other... And then to convert GBL to GHB, oh but now its floor cleaner and draino.... go on try clean the sink with some GHB tool..

:p

Does anyone know how I can find out if Pasion flower is legal in Thailand. I know that it is legal in Australia but there was recently a push to criminalise it. Does anyone have a link to Thai drug scheduling laws, or has anyone ever heard of Pasion flower being legal or illegal in Thailand. Thanks.

In terms of party drugs..the diet pills are the best!

There are all the usual next day gear like xanax and valium.

Go easy on the diet pills, I underestimated their potency!

^^^^^
what type of "diet pills" are available?

(i actually want them for weight loss)

Diet pills found in SE-Asian pharmacies are usually amphetamine or methamphetamine. Remember though that just because you can buy them in a pharmacy does not mean that they are legal.

i thought they would be ephedra? Do they sell yarbar (crazy pills, used to be yarmar (horse pills)) in some pharmacies?

October 2006 update

Codeine and ket not available in pharmacies. Valium and xanax still around (valium more common). Buy the cheap generic brand (exactly the same as pricey imported stuff and works just as well). Have also been offered halcion and rohypnol :p (this at a chemist that wouldn't sell me valium, weird)

Yaba has NEVER been sold in pharmacies (and you really don't want to try this crap).

Ket is still available cheaply in Cambodia - but mostly the stuff from India. Don't bring any back to Thailand, they are checking bags at the overland borders. (Quick aside: do buy cigs and alcohol in cambodia, they're dirt cheap; you can bring 2 cartons and 1 bottle back to Thailand)

Diet pills - personally I think these are really nasty and give you a terrible comedown the next day. And my Thai friends who took them for weight loss all went a bit psycho.

I do recommend kratom if you want something to keep you dancing - not at all speedy, just keeps you going and going and going, and feeling no pain/aches. Roll up a leaf and pop it between your cheek and gum. I have a vague recollection that kratom is illegal in some of the southern provinces - but the trees grow wild everywhere so I have no idea how they would ever hope to enforce that...

Alcohol - 7-11 now has ridiculous hours to sell alcohol (something like they'll sell between 11am and 2pm and then from 5pm to 12). Although I don't think this applies to Khao sarn road or the islands. If 7 won't serve you, just go to the petrol station shops or the little mom and pop shops.

And I have to add cos it freaks me out when people drink warm pepsi: the ice (as in frozen water) is PERFECTLY SAFE.

If you want info on any other substances (or general Thailand questions), pm me. Quick response not guaranteed, sorry.

gumby11 said:
Does anyone know how I can find out if Pasion flower is legal in Thailand. I know that it is legal in Australia but there was recently a push to criminalise it. Does anyone have a link to Thai drug scheduling laws, or has anyone ever heard of Pasion flower being legal or illegal in Thailand. Thanks.

God knows why, I have never heard any reliable recreational reports.

I like it occasionally, it chills me out. different strokes for different folks...

My rule of thumb is not to use illegal drugs in Thailand. True, drugs are incredibly abundant (You should have no problem scoring marijuana, methamphetamine, or heroin), and 95% of the time no one gets busted, but if you do get busted, you're not going to go down to the station, booked, then released like you would in western countries. For simple possession, it's not unheard of for people getting sent to a Thai prison for many months, even years (Although I'm hoping that now Thaksin is gone, things will get more lax). If you want to know what a Thai prison is like, read the book "The Damage Done", which was written by a guy who spent 12 years in a Bangkok prison. While reading that book, I couldn't help but think of the Soviet gulag or the Nazi concentration camps. The bottom line is that if you're in any country with incredibly strict drug laws, such as Thailand, there's little incentive to get high. Go to Thailand, see the country, enjoy the culture, and party on Khao San Road without getting high. Your favorite drugs will be waiting for you when you get home.

On the subject of pharmacies, I've only tried a couple of times to buy benzos in Bangkok, and with no luck (Granted, I didn't try very hard). I've had other people show me pills they purchased in Thailand, and they looked so fake it was funny (If they put little pills into a plastic bag, don't trust what you're getting). If you want pharms, Cambodia is the best place I know of. Just today, I bought Valium from a U-Care, blister packet and all. You can even buy liquid morphine and ketamine for reasonable prices in some pharmacies (Although most places don't carry it- you'll have to shop around). Counterfeit medicine is still a problem, but it's usually counterfeit malarial pills and antibiotics, as they have larger markets, and they get sold to locals, who, unfortunately, are usually uneducated on the risks of counterfeit medicine. Once, while my sister was in Burma, she asked for malarial pills, and the chemist reached into a jar full of pills labeled "Vitamin C."

Cambodia is also more lax with their drug laws. Marijuana is smoked semi-openly in bars, and if you get caught, a five dollar bill will settle things quite easily. With heroin, yaba, etc., I wouldn't want to play games, but I've never actually heard of any foreigner getting busted for them. If you were to get hauled in on a drug possession charge in Cambodia, you could probably buy your way out of it, but it'll cost you a pile of cash. But in any case, the idea of doing something that has even a remote chance of landing me in a Phnom Penh prison will cause me to think twice. Furthermore, be incredibly careful with the dosage of drugs. The heroin over here is much more pure than in most parts of the world, and as such foreigners quite often turn up dead in their guesthouses. This same shit also sometimes ends up being sold as cocaine, thus causing deaths as well.

Update - June 2007

Valium and Xanax still available in some pharmacies. I think you are pretty safe buying small amounts of valium for "sleeping on the bus".

Re the cheap diet pills - they are cheap cheap cheap speed and nasty. Next day comedown is horrific. However, I'm very intolerant of cheap nasty speed and some people seem to find them okay. REMEMBER, they are, by law, actually illegal.

And just to re-emphasize re thailand and illegal drugs:

If you have decided you will take drugs in Thailand, make sure you have some money readily available via ATM (consider it "travel insurance"). Get to the ATM before you get to the police station.

There are a lot of drugs in Thailand. There is a lot of corruption. There are a lot of payoffs and benefits. There is a whole system of which you have zero knowledge.

As a foreigner, you are a possible source for a good sum of money to some people. And these people are hanging around the tourist areas, and they are good at what they do - being charming and ingratiating and helpful. Don't trust them, but don't be rude. Be friendly to everybody, keep smiling as you say no, don't reveal where you are staying, and DON'T BUY DRUGS FROM THESE PEOPLE.

If you're here on holiday, I would not buy/try anything - especially if you're staying in the normal backpacker areas. Absolutely 100% don't buy anything offered to you in a club, EVER. A real dealer would not sell to a foreigner he did not know.

Thailand is plenty trippy and a mindfuck enough without drugs - and my warning again, be careful of the red bull + sangsom/vodka buckets =D

IAmJacksUserName said:
On the subject of pharmacies, I've only tried a couple of times to buy benzos in Bangkok, and with no luck (Granted, I didn't try very hard). I've had other people show me pills they purchased in Thailand, and they looked so fake it was funny (If they put little pills into a plastic bag, don't trust what you're getting).

If you go to a real doctor in Thailand and get medication, that is what you will get. A little plastic bag with your tablets in it.. In fact when I went to one he made me write all the names of the drugs on the bags because he couldn't write english.

^ You will also get them from dodgy pharmacies though. Some will sell you blister packs (which may be counterfeit or expired) but most will just chuck 10 blue pills in a baggy and take your cash.

I went over the christmas holidays for a month. Its an amaxing country.

OTCs: Some places will sell diet pills (when I got them they were blue and white capsules), I believe these to be amphetamines or dexies. Valium and xanax are available, but you may have to shop around. Ketamine is definately not available.

Illegal Drugs: You will be often asked if you want to buy drugs, particularly pot. It is of crap quality, lots of stem and very dry. it gives a much more body high, clear headed and week stone.
Ecstasy: of varying qualtity and price, sometimes the price is as much as it is here, if not more. This is particularly the case at Koh Phagnan full moon parties. I was too afraid to buy any, but some friends did and were sold duds.
Cocaine: harder to come by, is of similiar quality to AUS coke.
Mushrooms: these are the more tolerated of drugs in thailand. Many places will sell you mushroom smoothies or soup, it is still a bad idea to travel with these on your person though.

Laws and Police: The laws in thailand are very strict. Lengthy jail terms are possible for possession of cannibus. Large amounts can land you in jail for years or you will be executed.
Police are everywhere in thailand, particularly in bangkok after the bombings. The laws governing searches are different to the ones here, you can be searched for no good reason, and foreigners are often singled out to be searched for drugs. Police will raid clubs and search everyone. There are also road blocks and checkpoints constantly on the roads, increasing in frequency around the Burma border. they will search foreigners cars througherly. A friend of mine was recently arrested and spent time in jail for possession of cannibas.
There is corruption and if you are caught, you may or may not be able to bribe your way out. A bribe will cost you over $1000 and you need to be able to speak the language enough to negotiate this. Also alot of drug dealers will work with police to collect a cut of the bribe, this is particularly the case at the Koh Phagnan full moon parties.
My advice do not use drugs. if you do, do not carry in public, do not drive around with drugs, and do not keep drugs in your room.

Other things to remember in thailand:
* be careful of being ripped off, always keep all tickets for privately run transportation and try to get taxis to charge on the meter.
* prostitution and HIV are endemic in this country. If you do mess around, be safe. It would be a good idea to bring aussie condoms with you as thai condoms are of poor quality. Also be wary that not all women in thailand started out life as women. So keep this in mind next time you are being chatted by a tall thai woman, with just too perfect looking boobs.

[EDIT: Prices removed. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
getting bust, hospitals and general rantings

Psytaco: I'm amazed that you dont live here - most of what you said is so spot on =D

Re getting caught with anything - the word ATM (ay tee em) is understood by everybody. Pray that you don't get the 1 non-bribable cop in the entire district - although his boss will probably be - it will get more expensive up the line.

If you do land up in the police station with the big boss, don't talk bribes, don't yell, don't freak out, don't demand that your rights be served, stay polite and humble and shut up. Don't sign a thing. This isn't America, this isn't Europe. If you have a thai friend, phone them. If you have a non-thai friend, phone them. Get a Thai lawyer - do not get a neat, tidy and nice European lawyer. They won't know the ins and outs and shortcuts. Get a neat, tidy and nice Thai lawyer. And again, stay calm, polite and shut up.

Yelling about your rights will get you big minus points, politeness and quietness will get you good brownie points.

As per Psytaco and myself previously, my advice is, if you're a total tourist, with no friends or connections here, DON'T do drugs.

I would adjust Psytaco's comment on one point: if you're thai, the most tolerated drug is ganja. If you're a foreigner, your use of any drug is a possible income source to someone.

But I agree, for foreigners in southern thailand, the most tolerated seems to be mushroom omelettes, shakes etc. Here again be careful, but of the dosage. It seems to vary radically and I've had some friends totally freaking out on heavy heavy trips. Dont chomp that whole omelette in one go - get a takeaway.

Hospitals - I don't know anyone who has been admitted to hospital due to overdose/freaking out etc so cannot comment personally. But again, this isn't Europe or America. I don't suggest saying: "i took xxx". Rather, "i think somebody may have put xx into my drink" etc. This is assuming you still have the brainpower to reason all this out. But hopefully you will all be careful enough not to have to go to hospital. On a positive note, i've been to several government hospitals in Bangkok, and they're good - may not be beautifully decorated, may not have muzak, you may wait in the queue for ages, but the doctors ARE good, and they are WAAAAAY cheaper than the private hospitals.

If you feeling crappy/depressed/suicidal, I recommend Siriraj Hospital. English speaking psychiatrists and psychologists. (And you can get Prozac without prescription in lots of chemists around backpacker areas)

And to follow up on Psytaco's last paragraph, if you're a guy, I wouldn't leave my glass on the bar if you're chatting to a sexy female, and you shouldn't let a sexy female pour you a drink if you're back at your apartment/hotel, regardless of whether sexy female was originally born female or not - but that would make up a whole other thread %) I've been offered rohypnol at several pharmacies when i asked for valium - no valium, but you can have some roofies, weird.

If you're female, you're usually a whole lot safer here =D

Tangents: (nothing to do with pharmacies or drugs)
Basically, I think thailand is a country where you get back what you put in. If you are friendly and polite and calm and interested, that's what you get back. If you are loud and aggressive, you'll either get loud and aggressive back, or, more likely, a blank out. And you'll be lucky, the behaviour/attitude and remarks of many tourists in Thailand would earn them a good beating in many other countries. I CANNOT believe how rude some touristy types are, did their parents teach them no manners?

The whole "land of smiles" advertising campaign (which i think is over now, thank god), and tourists' expectations that the country live up to this campaign, totally freaks me out. Why should the people here have to smile at you? If you smile first, I guarantee 99.9% of the time, you'll get a smile back. If you don't smile, why the hell should those of us who live here have to smile at you, just cos you're a foreign tourist?

And lastly, to an admin - could we change the thread title to "Thailand pharmacies and other drug info" or something like that? As we've wandered way off the original topic but I think the info is stuff people should read...