• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Pseudoephedrine High Question

Edvard Munch

Bluelighter
I used to use ephedrine HCL in order to wake up for work at 5 am. I enjoyed the effects, sped me up nicely and put me in a nice positive mood.

Now, ephedrine has been banned.

So I had some congestion in the nasal pipes and popped 3 pseudoephedrines as opposed to the reccomended dose of two. Suprisingly, this sped me up quite nice! I was energetic, felt good, was more sociable was thinking a lot more positively and such. It was like ... "Weeeeee!!!"

So ... whats the huge difference between regular ephedrine HCL and pseudoephedrine HCL's high?

If ephedrine is being banned, why arent people turning to pseudo? Because I really didnt notice much in the difference of the highs.

What different methods of action does the pseudo have as opposed to the regular ephedrine?

Yes, I know its a cheap high, but the pseudoephedrine HCL was suprisingly fun.

pseudoephedrine-HCL has been the choice for methamphetamine production for a very long time....

uhm, as far as just TAKING ephedra, its banned in the little packets and bottles that you can get at the store/gas station whatever..
the actions arent all that different as how they affect you..

look at the root words, , pseudo = new
so, its an alternative, (same effects) to ephedrine,
or
use google
and look up
the differences..

use any search engine.

Ahh, Sudafed... the fiending meth heads drug of choice.

Wish I could actually help. :\

I believe that ephedrINE is still available. It's ephedRA that is banned, as in, the herbal sort that was in yellow jackets, black beauties, Xenadrine, etc. Ephedrine is regulated by the FDA, and has a valid medical use, (ashtma sp?). It is also in products such as Brokaid, and Primatine tablets that you can buy in many pharmacies. (ephedrine, that is)

Ephedrine and pseudoephedrine are both beta adrenoceptor agonists, which means that they partially mimic the effects of having an adrenaline rush.

psuedo = fake, or synthetic.

now....google works the same for you or me....that's was how i found that.

^^^ Yes, I know that, but there must be some differences in the mechanisms of action bewteen pseudoephedrine and ephedrine.

Like if you took 100 milligrams of pseudoephedrine and 2 weeks later on the same body took 100 milligrams of ephedrine, what would be the difference in the high?

ephedrine crosses the blood brain barrier better.
which means more good effects.

yes, ephedrine and pseudoephedrine are the same thing molecular formula wise: they are all alpha-hydroxy methamphetamine. The only that differs is the stereochemistrty: racemic ephedrine is (1S,2R) and the enantiomer (1R,2S), whereas racemic pseudoephedrine is (1S,2S) and (1R,2R). The (1S,2R) diastereomer is the best 'fit' for the tyrosine uptake carrier in the blood-brain barrier, so it gets into the brain better than any of the other diastereomers. Hence, the best 'speed'-like effects come from (1S,2R)-(-)-ephedrine.

psuedo ephedrine has way less CNS fx than ephedrine.
All I really notice from psudeoeph is a temperature increase and perhaps the jitters. heh, "you call that a high?"

^^^ No, I dont call that a "high", but considering I took 90 milligrams of pseudoephedrine and it felt like I snorted some cocaine and got more social and cocky and felt a lot better, then I certainly think it deserves more merit as far as the effects on my body.

Okay, thanks for the help, guys. Any other info to add is welcome.

I had posted this in another thread (in DB) regarding the difference between ephedrine and pseudoephedrine:

Crimson Cloud said:
...pseudoephedrine is not the same exact thing as ephedrine. It's stereo isomer of ephedrine. Saying that they're the same thing is like saying that amphetamine and dextroamphetamine are the same thing. Similar, yes, but not the same. Pseudoephedrine and ephedrine both act on the alpha- and beta- adrenergic receptors, but pseudoephedrine's effect at the beta- receptors are much less pronounced than ephedrine's. The two drugs have different effects. Pseudoephedrine is nowhere near as stimulating as ephedrine, and it's cardiac effects are milder than ephedrine. Pseudoephedrine isn't an effective bronchodilator like ephedrine.

BTW, pseudoephedrine is also a constituent of ephedra. It's not simply synthetic ephedrine.

Last edited:
Psuedoephedrine is not a recreational drug, and recreational drugs are what we are here to discuss. So why should this thread remain open, aside from some of the intelligent replies......?

Ever heard of methamphetamine?

Yeah, pseudoephedrine isn't recreational. I personally can't stand it when people start touting things like Sudafed as something "fun" that "deserves merit" and makes you go "Weeeee!!!" (because really, only high school kids do that crap, and only the outcast losers at that).

It could be worthwhile to discuss the differences between pseudoephedrine and ephedrine, but neither of those are recreational... so um... yeah... this thread is pretty pointless after all.

actually, with a few steps, pseudoephedrine IS A very VERY recreational drug! u can wash out the psuedoephedrine to produce ephedrine-hcl, wash in dh20, filter, wash, filter, wash, filter, heat, scrape up powder, suspend in ethanol (heet) filter, wash with ethanol, filter, wash with ethanol, filter, wash with ethanol, filter, add heat, 140-150, with fan blowing across, reduce till almost powder, finish with blowdryer, pure ephedrine-hcl... there are still alpha-hydroxy's keeping it from being methamphetamine, but thats another step...
but if you have psuedoephedrine, and want ephedrine, the above removal of binders etc, will convert it to pure ephedrine-hcl.

Extracting pseudoephedrine HCl from tablets using a heat/filter paradigm does not produce ephedrine HCl. Separating a compound from the binders in a pill does not magically alter the stereochemistry of the compound. The only way to change pseudoephedrine into ephedrine and vice-versa would be to take the alcohol up to a ketone and then use a stereoselective reduction, but what would be the point of that?

For some reason people think ephedrine and pseudoephedrine are the same thing. It doesn't even matter though, they both suck.