• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Provigil (modafinil), i'm suprised..

yaesutom

Bluelighter
Alright. I've taken its 'cousin' adrafinil (or whatever its called) before with nothing, years ago. I've been prescribed ritalin, adderall, then finally dexedrine which is like adderall without a bad come down and side effects (and added tolerance!) for "AD/HD".

I have always wanted to try modafinil, just to try, and it so happens a couple friends of mine had some around, so I've been trading the dexedrine for these Provogil 200mg pills.

I'm always out for some type of more 'selective' stimulant or sorta-stimulant that would allow me to concentrate when needed, but also make me feel more "myself" and not do any more possible damage to DA/other sites that the amphetamines cause. I thought reboxetine did some good, but strattera, i dont know about that one... although now that i mention it, maybe since i have left over strattera's around here somewhere i should combine them..(with vvvv )

Well so i get these 200mg Provogil's, and not expecting much, first dose i took two of them. I'm not sure exactly when or whatever but i managed to eat a total of 5 200mg pills.

Having a "perminant" tolerance to stims from the amphetamines, i didnt expect much. Well, it suprised me.

I stayed up from early saturday to early monday morning (probably nothing for you guys, long for me though). I wasn't planning on it, lol, but I found that this modafinil really lets me concentrate good, focus on a task, when i need to, and when i don't need to, well...pretty much i feel normal. I ended up taking more than I should have obviously, cause the sleep deprivation started creeping up and i'd look at a wall, and see little mini-dreams forming, typical of staying up long - yet i was totally awake and could focus on anything, and my memory did not seem so impared like it normally would. I also noticed even though i was "tired" in a way one night, i had called up this girl to 'hang out' because i was damn horny (sunday night i think) cause she called a few days before or whatever.

So far so good, i'd love to be able to take something every day, that gives me at least some of the benefits of dextroamphetamine without side effects (adderall was much worse than dexedrine with the side effect thing, for me), and also just leaves me feeling otherwise normal. Also something that isn't going to fry all my dopamine in the long term...or other long term effects. I certainly don't intend on getting 'high' off this stuff, because well i have dexedrine for that, which honestly i have not once eaten a ton to get all sped up (well maybe the times i've taken like 2 10mg tabs maybe i'd talk a little much).

So I went on the net a did some searching on modifinil and found some stuff that was all positive for the most part, one study something about possibly being neuroprotective and good for parkinson's or to prevent it.

That sunday night, (no luck with the chick, she wasn't home, arrghh) I came home, and just wanted to get things done, clean up my room some from the weekend and well before that, stuff i'd put off i guess. I will add that I did take one 10mg dex sometime before leaving where i was coming from, because i thought i'd need it. Well maybe that did have to do with the want to get shit done thing, but dex alone doesn't do that, and it would have mostly wore off by then. If i took dexedrine, sometimes instead of doing things like clean up a sorta-mess i'd be zoned in on something interesting instead. I noticed I was just fully awake, fully alert, and when focus is needed, it was there.

I took a shower yesterday that seemed like the quickest shower i've taken. I find that if i'm not needed to 'focus', day dream a little, time will fly by, but when i focus on something, it seems like time slows down so I can do what I intend to do (a strange time-distortion effect, good though).

I like the shit.. only a few left but hell i am going to try to find someone with 'full coverage' insurance who might, get dr. to prescribe, i can pay whoever, or hell, trade dexedrine since while on modafinil I don't seem to need it. I like the motivation, the motivation to do things that more likely need to get done. I don't really 'feel it', i guess, but, i know its working when i can so easily focus on a task and block out everything else, when i want. Seems to last quite a while ... although i did take a total of 5 of those 200mg's over some time.. lol. I'll save what i have left (3, ahh), and try either 400mg when i wake up (a good day) or 200mg split on a normal day and see how it all goes.

Over a long term thing i'd much rather be taking something so much more selective than something like d-amphetamine tabs.

I know its not really 'recreational' but has anyone else observed any positive effects like these, i mean not to get high but for a 'labeled' add'er or ..whatever?

Maybe just a tiny bit of dex along with it had me all horny and in 'clean my room mode' (when i realised that night horny wasn't a plus) when i got home. Whatever it does, it seems to work, I haven't wanted to use any dex, although since i have 3 left (provogil) i'll use it of course. Even during the sleep deprevation thing (not that it was THAT long), looking at the walls or closing my eyes to check out the 'dreamness' i was in a damn fine mood! I dont know, somewhere in my brain its saying, hmm modafinil good, screw amphetamines.
=D

have you tried combining modafinil with the dex?
what are your thought on combining the 2

Ive been prescribed 200mg Provigil(Modafinil) every day...... I take it first thing in the morning before my long commute to work and find it makes my driving skills alot better + Im more focused on the road. As far having a recreational value Im kinda skeptical.... sure it wakes you up but it does not produce any real euphoria .....another problem with Provigil is obviously the FUCKING PRICE ... most health insurance companies will not pay for it so it costs me $100 + a month:X

tadfish said:
its not a rec drug

I disagree whole heartedly.

It can be particularly recreational... by means of keeping you alert and focused while you're trying to do something you enjoy.

It's by far the best stimulant i've used.. and by that, i mean doing it's job, and nothing else.

Yeah, Provigil is pretty nice. I took 200 mg once a day for a bit, but now I just use it a couple times a week as needed. Helps give me more of a boost on those tough days, plus I have a weird paranoia about taking a drug daily for a really long time. Although, I do remember reading that provigil was originally researched as a pill to help enhance brain functions, so there was the neat idea that daily use would turn me into some sort of superhuman.

Not recreational like amphetamines, but damn good at what it does. I think of the lack of euphoria as a plus. I mean, I'd love to have a script for just about any amphetamine but I just know it'd end up biting me in the ass. I'd reach for the pills one morning only to find the bottle empty and a refill date a week away. As it is I've got plenty of provigil.

Madhatter4 said:
.another problem with Provigil is obviously the FUCKING PRICE ... most health insurance companies will not pay for it so it costs me $100 + a month:X

Try ordering through the mail if you can, I pay a bit over $100 for a 3 month supply (this is from a US based mail order pharmacy, not overseas).

Madhatter4 said:
Ive been prescribed 200mg Provigil(Modafinil) every day...... I take it first thing in the morning before my long commute to work and find it makes my driving skills alot better + Im more focused on the road. As far having a recreational value Im kinda skeptical.... sure it wakes you up but it does not produce any real euphoria .....another problem with Provigil is obviously the FUCKING PRICE ... most health insurance companies will not pay for it so it costs me $100 + a month:X

You can get 100 200mg pills online for around 120 dollars. Modalert is the generic, and i've found it works very well.

I've been taking it for about a year and find it as described. Boosts alertness and motivation but has no euphoria. I think the half-life is 15 hours.

Modafinil : tolerance, alas !

I've been doing Modafinil 3 times a week (100mg only!) for daylight somnolence for 6 months, and now I have a good mind to stop.

It works less and side-effects like absent-mindedness ("temporary amnesia" says the label) are taking their toll.

So here too, tolerance, in spite of minimal dosage.

Standard dosage is 200 mg dayly (instead of 100 mg 3 times a week!).

love the stuff... works really well for me. I only take 100 milligrams though. I have been taking it on schooldays and some work days for over a year.

tadfish said:
its not a rec drug

I somewhat disagree as well. Most people find it fairly useless recreationally, but it is a stimulant to some degree and (especially in people with low or no tolerance), it can be an enjoyable experience. It's not something I would put on my list of recreational pharms, but I do think it sort of straddles the fence between recreational and not; some people can get a kick from it and some can't.

That said, while, like I said, most people find that Provigil is pretty dull, I have heard that MANY people find it incredibly effective for its intended purposes of keeping you awake and able to focus/get things done, and I've also heard a lot of people say that it's a very "clear" or "clean" feeling as opposed to Adderall/Dexedrine/etc. and that it works very well. Like the OP said, unlike dex or Adderall, it's much more versatile (for some people) because dex/Adderall tends to suck you into one thing (for me, it's usually the computer) and that one thing is often fairly useless whereas Provigil can allow you to do WHATEVER you have to do, whether it's one thing or several things or several kinds of things. I would not take it for fun, but I would certainly use it for that purpose, and I can understand why, for some, it's recreational -- if it produces the effects of alertness and concentration and ability to get shit done, and it feels good and/or makes you at least happy enough to do whatever it is you need to do or whatever you need to stay alert for, I would consider that recreational. Any drug that will take me from my usual apathy to a state where I am awake and content and able to do things that I should be doing is more productive than anything else, but the fact that it would make me awake and productive while being happy to be those things would make it, IMO, recreational. But again, everyone's different.

(on a side note) When ever I take in excess of 200mg Provigil I get an earth cracking head ache ........has anyone else expieranced this????

modafinil and caffeine have very similar mechanisms of action on the adenosine receptor system. However, modafinil is much more potent so you can think of this drug as a very very strong cup of coffee that lasts a lonng time. =D

It works in a completely different way than amphetamines which target mainly dopamine, norepinephrine, and a little of serotonin. But the adenosine receptor system can have a minor effect on dopamine causing modafinil to sometimes give the user a slight amount of euphoria.

I took 400mg provigil for a while

I took 200mg in morning and 200mg at lunch. Sometomes took more but it gave me a horrible headache as mentioned in a previous post. I much prefer my adderall.

I would definitely be on modafinil if it weren't for the drug interaction issues. That said, LADIES: modafinil can negatively affect the function of hormonal birth control. If you don't want babies, use a backup method during sex if you're on both.

AmbientDreamer said:
modafinil and caffeine have very similar mechanisms of action on the adenosine receptor system. However, modafinil is much more potent so you can think of this drug as a very very strong cup of coffee that lasts a lonng time. =D

It works in a completely different way than amphetamines which target mainly dopamine, norepinephrine, and a little of serotonin. But the adenosine receptor system can have a minor effect on dopamine causing modafinil to sometimes give the user a slight amount of euphoria.

is that true ?

in Advaned Drug Discussion, the conclusion was that is was a long acting weak DARI (dopamine reuptake inhibitor).

i found it very usefull for a short time (increased motivation, focus, better mood), but as usual tolerance set in quickly, and I stopped buying it because it was so expensive with little result.

^^^not really. I think that came from a study comparing caffeine and modafinil. I think modafinil works on a brain region involving something called orexins (which are apparently involved in alertness....big surprise) and I believe on the monograph it does say it has 'mild dopamine reuptaking properties' at highest dose tested (I think 400mg). there is a fair bit of info on biopsychiatry.com

Actually I think it is a pretty interesting drug in that it does what it is supposed to do without wigging you out in the process. perfect for me who needs the extra vigilance but hates feeling wired all the time. And I can sleep on it as long as I take it early in the am. It does have a long half-life.

I just ordered a couple of boxes off the net, never tried it before but I do often take caffiene/ephedrine (super strength) pills in the morning to give myself a kick up the ass.

Tolerance has built in though so I thought I'd try mondafinil.

I normally take the tabs as soon as I wake up 7am, go back to bed for a bit wait till they kick in then zoom around the house ironing my shirt and getting ready for work. The noticable stimulant effects normally wear off within a couple of hours.

The only thing I am concerned about it whether mondafinil will keep me awake at night? I am a very light sleeper, If I take it 7-8am will it have worn off by the evening?

Are there any long-term health concerns with this stuff just in case I find myself getting a little fond of it and using it regularly?

provigil rocks, but recreationally? whatever works for you, i guess, but there are far far more intense highs and this is probably the single best productivity and focus enhancing substance ever created.

it'd be like taking steroids just cause you really liked to inject yourself while spending all your time lying on the sofa watching tv.

If provigil was an NARI would'nt that mean it would take a few weeks for the stimulant effects to kick in just like all of the other reuptake inhibitors out there? Just curious if the dopaminergic system worked differently in that something blocking dopamine reuptake would produce therapeutic effect immediately.