• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

effexor withdrawl

That's interesting. Once when I ran out of pills when I was sick and couldn't see my doctor over the weekend, I found that taking GHB made the withdrawals go away completely.

GHB seems ideal for the withdrawal symptoms of many drugs (benzo's, opiates, nicotine etc.).

I was once on Effexor for a week and then stopped taking it...I actually went into a "brief reactive psycosis" and had to be hospitalized for a week in the crazy ward. It was intresting to say the least....That stuff is not to be messed with!!

I am withdrawing from effexor now. I was on 150mg ED. I would recommend using the slowest taper your doctor will allow. I went from 150mg to 100mg ED (will do this for three weeks before I lower the dosage again) and haven't had any 'discontination symptoms' yet (those awful electric shock sensations you get when you miss a dose). Speak to your doctor and perhaps ask to go down to 225mg for three weeks (each increment should be taken for approx. three weeks).

I wouldn't recommend effexor to anyone unless they absolutely need it. I hate that shit (too many side effects for it to be worth it, not to mention the fact that I can't use certain rec. drugs safely).

Last edited:
You can taper yourself if you're taking one capsule per day (modified release, in the form of small beads inside a capsule). Open the capsule and devise a method for estimating the dose e.g. make a line and remove one quarter. Be consistent and accurate and don't be impatient. I would recommend allowing at least nine weeks (maybe more for 300mg ED) to come off.

Your doctor has NO RIGHT to keep you on a medication you don't want to be on. That is wrong. Let him know (politely) how you feel and insist that he allows you to taper off.

I'm supposed to be on effexor, 150mg a day. I took it like I was supposed to for about 3 weeks then I had to stop. Maybe I didn't take them long enough to take full effect or something but once I started taking them I felt all screwed up, i just didn't feel like me and they made me feel worse than i did before I started taking them. After 3 weeks I couldn't take it anymore, so I stopped taking them. I was supposed to be on them for my anxiety and postpartun depression, but i would rather deal with them on my own than feel that kind of screwed up again. It was almost scary. This happen to anyone else?

i dunno, it was during my time on effexor that my habits changed from restrained to barely responsible. effexor gave me this weird pleasant, but irritating high. it was like there was something neat going on in my brain that i couldn't acces. it also upset my stomach and i was in college/uni at the time so i need stimulation but the collegiate drug of choice coffee was too hard on my stomach.. so i started taking a lot of ephedrine, and then i started smoking a lot, and then i found i needed a lot more pills when i went out, and then i found i felt too high-strung from those pills so i needed to drink a lot more, and then the next day i needed a lot more weed to settle down.

i mean, that's just anecdotal, and reflects more on my personality than on effexor, but considering why i was prescribed effexor, it does have a bearing on why i consider it the worst antidepressant. at the same time as it gives you a window into what it's like to be away from all those things you want to change, it magnifies those same undesirables at the same time. it's a weird drug.

Well I was on a 75 mg dosage because iI had a anxiety disorder.

Lowered the dose to 35 mg after 2 months of 75 mg (which is already a low dosage).

After another 1,5 month lowered it to 20 mg (lower than treshhold according to erowid).

Stopped with the efexor 3 days ago and still experiencing electric feelings in my brain and body (epecially hands...).

GHB in the evening works like a charm but I can't take GHB while working, so I have to wait 'till it fades away.

Also catched a cold which doesn't leave my body for 4 weeks...

I will never turn to any AD anymore.

Does anyone know how long the withdrawal from efexor (20-30 mg) take in average?

(sorry for my bad English, I'm from holland)

Chris

Does anyone get the shocks particularly when they move their eyes about?

Effexor has been linked to people going on sudden and severe alcohol binges -- even in people who do not normally drink at all. I definitely noticed that side effect when I took it.

SacredNaCl said:
Effexor has been linked to people going on sudden and severe alcohol binges -- even in people who do not normally drink at all. I definitely noticed that side effect when I took it.

LOL. Where on earth did you hear that?!

SacredNaCl said:

That might of just been you.

Sorry for bumping a old thread but I myself have been there.
Effexor is a terribly weird drug, I totally agree with that. I myself was on it for up to about 6+months a couple years back.
I experienced terrible mood changes and swings not to mention the so called "depression" and "anxiety" were actually getting worst while on effexor.
sometimes Id randomly start crying and freaking out to be manic happy a minute later. Damn doctors telling me I needed something that, now that I look back,
dont think I ever really needed to begin with. Oh and don't think I ever blacked out from drinking so fast.