• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

effexor withdrawl

wheelchair

Bluelighter
is there any real danger from stopping effexor xr immidiatelly, not tappering the dose. im on 300mg and stopped a few days ago. i experience these pulsating feelings in my body, which also happens to my sight and hearing. so , as i said, is there any real danger besides the uncomfortable withdrawls? thanks

DO NOT stop taking your effexor. Especially if you have been on it for a while. and ESPECIALLY on the dose you're on...

You need to be tapered off.

I am currently on 150mg/ 2X daily Effexor XR.

i would but my doctor wont take me off it, so i have no choice. now to my question, is it dangerous?

wheelchair oh so very dangerous. you will plummet like no other. ease yourself off.

it is, like you see, very uncomfortable and dangerous... set up your own tapering program dont just stop

you can force your doctor to, if he wont do it go to another doc who will if you're dead set on getting off of it, but you also might want to consider why your doctor wants you to stay on and rethink the whole thing

I sincerely insist you do not stop taking that stuff suddenly. The worst withdrawl I have ever experienced was from Efexor - with the most horrible symptoms. I was told to taper off 225mg within about a week because I had such nasty side effects and the withdrawl was still there 3 months after my last dose. Horrible stuff - worked for a while though I must admit but not long term.

Taper off. You can do it slowly over a fortnight or so, you'll not have any bad withdrawls, possibly something will seem slightly odd but not the crash people find Effexor gives them.
After that just don't take your medication if you don't want to.

Since noone has asked, I will :
What are you given the Effexor for and why won't your doctor let you stop? If you want to swap to another anti-depressant then your doctor should be okay with that. If its something else then you need to talk to him/her and explain the situation fully, afterall he/she is a trained professional and is only looking out for your well-being :)

im on effexor for social anxiety disorder, and the doctor wants me to wait untill i have a break from school, so the withdrawls wont keep me from going. thanks for the reply's

i quit effexor cold turkey. i had withdrawal for about 2 weeks. i had swetting, depression, i would suddenly begin crying for no appararent reason a few times a day. i also had nausea and fatique. i smoked a lot of weed and it helped a lot and made quitting pretty easy.

I quit celexa (20mg) and seroquel (300 mg) cold turkey, with no "withdrawals".

what makes effexor a "withdrawal" hazard?

Taper that motherfucker! I'm on Effexor 300mg/daily and haven't attempted to taper it yet but I abruptly stopped taking Paxil a long time ago. Holy shit! An experience as UN-HOLY as benzodiazepine w/d. I didn't want to move cause my body just felt weird, I was an angry lil bitch, flashing mood swings, jolts up my body, anxiety, spasms....ick. I hate anti-depressant w/d's. Wellbutrin has got to be the worse for me...no, not good times.

Take it from someone who knows this all too well, and has experienced it 10+ times: Taper, Taper, Taper. The three T's.

Withdrawl symptoms include irritability, moodswings, depression, flu-like symptoms, and in my experience, the worst of all, brain shocks.

Though these have been explained in a different thread, take my word, these make living nearly unbearable.

In my experience, whenever energy is exerted (ex. I stand up, I reach for a glass of water, I type...) an electrical 'shock' is sent through my brain, back to front and then back again. The most accurate description is that, though you may be standing perfectly still, it will feel as if your head just lurched forward while at the same time you were hit on the head with a baseball. It's fuckin intense. Check the health forum for a thread detailing all of this though.

I stopped Wellbutrin cold after being on 300mg a day for a year. I didn't have a single withdrawal symptom.

I wonder what makes it bad for some people? I've read about others having a hard time with withdrawls from Wellbutrin and Effexor, so I thought I would experience the same. I didn't feel a thing. It was like I never quit.

Someone with some knowledge on the chemistry of anti-depressants should chime in and enlighten me to the reasons some of us have no withdrawl symptoms with these drugs.

wellbutrin withdrawal is easy.. you're kinda groggy for a couple days.. effexor is the devil though.. i know it works quite well for some people, but i've yet to encounter anyone who had an easy time going off it (including myself.. nasty, nasty)..

Why didn't you figure out that you can cut down the dosage of Effexor yourself (just open the gell caps or crush the pills)?

I been off effexor xr for about 2weeks. had lsd like nightmares, and the brain zap thingys. i only took it for about a month. quit 150 cold turkey. wasn't hard at all.

I can't stand those electric shock type things. I also get extreme anxiety - hence the reason for me tapering over nine weeks.

Personally, I have a feeling that effexor blunted my emotions, reducing my ability to experience pleasure as well as pain.

i stopped taking 200 mg per day cold turkey. i found it pretty easy to quit because marijuana relieved the withdrawal symptoms so well. but when i ran out of weed for a couple days it was very hard, i i felt nausea, sweating and shakes. when i got some weed it quieted all these symptoms as well as the depression.