• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bluelight International Wine Club

Anarchofascist said:
And did some negro just pipe in with some bullshit about "true Australian Shiraz"? It's a French variety, and they usually call it "Syrah" there.

leave it to you to retort with some annoying semantic nitpicking, especially in response to someone who admits to being less than an expert from the first paragraph.

anyway, here's the way i understand it. feel free to begin crafting a snobby faux-connoisseur's reply that nobody but you will appreciate:

There seems to be little discussion that Australia's best red-wine varietal is shiraz -- which is the French syrah grape, but made in the unique, fruit-forward, user-friendly Aussie style.

so yeah... the way it was explained to me is that the wine made from this variety of grape is properly called "shiraz" when produced in australia and "syrah" when produced elsewhere.

feel free to continue crying about my terminology, just please keep your tears out of my wine glass.

mMmmmMmm...

i am dating a guy who knows a lot about wine, and is very casual about it all. when we would go out with another couple they would always order some bottle of red, and it would inevitably taste like sour grapes to me.

that is, until about a year ago. i was at work and decided to try one of our "fruitier" wines. it was a pinot noir. it is by far my favorite wine now! it's la crema pinot noir! it's excellent! i still don't touch whites, blushes, or anything too too dry (unless i've had enough cocaine to kill denis leary). so, i really enjoy a nice mellow pinot noir. that yellowtail shiraz IS awesome...i totally agree. i also loved bogle vineyard's petite syrah! i am slowly trying out wines to find what i really like, though.

yay! good thread!

Damn dude. Don't take it too seriously. First of all, if you haven't noticed, I love semantics and nitpicking. I am a charter member of APNEA.

And I'm just being an asshole while pointing out the variety was initially French (as are most grapes planted around the world -- and, to be honest, with reason.) (It's tough to beat good French wine.) (Fucking expensive though.) (Stupid euro.) And the geographic spread of where it's Shiraz and where it's Syrah is a bit hit-or-miss. There are a few French and Californian Shirazes(that's a fucked up looking plural) out there and even some South African and Australian "Syrahs."

Now if you start talking about how your like "True Wisconsin (or New York, or Vermont) Cheddar" or something like that, then I will get TRULY ANGRY and might be forced to break the piggy bank open to show you some real fucking English cheddar. I don't really care about wine all that much. For chrissake, I drink Liebfraumilch on the regular.

Actually, I also eat cheap American crappy cheeses, but that's more of a financial thing. And I cry every time I take a slice of "Swiss" cheese. When there's so much beautiful Gruyere and Emmental in the world. Someone send me money. :(

PS: Today's random cheese fact: The best Italian mozzarella comes from water buffalo milk, which imparts a smoother, milder flavor. And if you aren't going for mild, why the fuck are you buying mozzarella?

Additionally, I've been digging Australian wines lately...so inexpensive and so good. :D

Anarchofascist said:
Damn dude. Don't take it too seriously. [...]

And the geographic spread of where it's Shiraz and where it's Syrah is a bit hit-or-miss. There are a few French and Californian Shirazes(that's a fucked up looking plural) out there and even some South African and Australian "Syrahs."

hey, fair enough. to be honest, the guy who originally explained the regional distinctions to me is often full of shit anyway.

in other news, i also love cheese.

carry on! :)

No no, it's a perfectly cromulent regional distinction. GENERALLY "Syrah" means France or California and "Shiraz" means SA or Australia.

And before you turn your nose up at Limburger (har-har), try it with with onions and spicy mustard on black bread with a full-bodied beer. You still have to wash your hands well afterwards and make sure you clean up the countertop, though.

Sad:I just finished the last drop of 'Rosemount Estates' Shiraz 2002.

I might add, it's quite nice. I need to get another bottle.

BTW: It rang up for $80,974.00. But, well worth it!

Finder said:
Additionally, I've been digging Australian wines lately...so inexpensive and so good. :D

We are starting to make some palates drool ;)

I picked up a bottle of that australia Yellow tail (ist htat right) because of this thread, and it really was quite good. The chardonnay. I like dry wines, and it had just the slightest tang/bite/(not sure what the correct word to describe this) to make it interesting. Very nice.

Anarchofascist said:
No no, it's a perfectly cromulent regional distinction. GENERALLY "Syrah" means France or California and "Shiraz" means SA or Australia.

And before you turn your nose up at Limburger (har-har), try it with with onions and spicy mustard on black bread with a full-bodied beer. You still have to wash your hands well afterwards and make sure you clean up the countertop, though.
Damn that sounds good minus the onions.

And by the way, although I've been enjoying a nice Shiraz lately, I still love the Chardonnay. It's makes much less mess when spilled on the carpet.

i was lucky enough to try an Amarone over the holidays; an italian red made from a combination of specific grapes. Not cheap stuff, I think the cheapest you can find a bottle is about 45 US. After trying it though, I can see why its so expensive... its distinctly different from any other type of wine i've ever had. very full and strong tasting, and one of the only wines that goes well with chocolate (or so said the person who bought it). if you have some extra $$$ around, go out and buy yourself a bottle, HIGHLY recommended.

DarthMom said:
I picked up a bottle of that australia Yellow tail (ist htat right) because of this thread, and it really was quite good. The chardonnay. I like dry wines, and it had just the slightest tang/bite/(not sure what the correct word to describe this) to make it interesting. Very nice.
*gags*

there are 10,000 better chardonnays. you shorted yourself with that 4.99/bottle yellow tail, honest to god.

ok i have some new AWESOME wine recommendations. most of these arent cheap, though, so if you're looking to drink a GOOD wine that costs a little more than (eww)yellowtail(eww) here's my suggestions:

bauer and foss piesporter riesling - light and sweet. the best riesling i've had to date.

as far as reds go...

castle rock cabernet has amazing ceder tones in it that make the cherry/raspberry tones stand out even more.

lazy creek pinot noir is one ofn those wines that goes great with sweeter dishes. its got hints of chocolate and rhubarb in it. extremelly well balanced and out of this world smooth.

mont gras quattro is mostly cab, but has malbec, carmenere, and merlot, too. it is VERY bold... i imagine good with cheeseburgers or a gorgonzola based fondue.

as far as table wines (italian) go, i am in love with this 1999 velletri ive been able to get for half off thanks to my place of work.

p.s. i had a glass of 2 hands shiraz and wanted to die. a typical shiraz but 100,000 times smoother which means 100,000 times better. it runs for 120 a bottle :)

Tried some of this yellow tail everyone is talking about, being an aussie I should know what everyone is on about - honestly guys there are HEAPS better aussie wines than this. Its a bargain basement wine here hehe :)

^finally someone who gets it.

let me say it again: yellow tail is gas station wine! it is almost as cheap as carlo di rossi and AT LEAST CARLO DI ROSSI TASTES GOOD!

^Werd.

I always wake up with a wicked headache after getting soused on YellowTail. If you're looking for inexpensive Australian wine, look no further than Rosemount. I must say, though, that Charles Shaw hasn't done me wrong, yet.

wolf blass, dollar for dollar, is much better than any other inexpensive australian i've tried. rosemount is great stuff too.

I saw Wolf Blass in the store the other day...perhaps I'll give it a shot next time I'm out buying wine, which, for some reason, is all I seem to be drinking at home lately.

wow...this thread went from good...to horribly snobby.

good job bl!

i suggest blind tastings...