[03] Fools Gold by Anonymous

Catch-22

Bluelighter
Music and drugs go hand in hand, it could be said that music is indeed a drug. I can easily listen to music and not take drugs but I would find it very hard to take drugs and not listen to music.

Since the 80’s people have realized there are massive amounts of pleasure to be gained from dancing and letting yourself go to electronic music, the term acid house was believed to come from the music simulating a trip (source: Altered State – Matthew Collins). Ecstasy culture and the “dance” scene go together hand in hand, but if the average “clubber” takes 3.7 pills and goes “clubbing” 4 times a month (source: Mixmag March 2003) then surely this can’t be doing them any good.

I first took Ecstasy almost 2 years before I even ventured in a club and even now I rarely ever need to take pills when I am in a club. This is because I wish to fully appreciate the music, I remember listening to the trance song “Café del Mar” in my room before I did Ecstasy and the feeling that it gave me when I let myself go, I imagined at the time this is what Ecstasy would feel like and after trying it I realized I was right.

If when you take Ecstasy it depends on your serotonin levels then surely we can reach this state without actually taking the drug itself, I think that the only way however to learn this is from taking the drug. In 1989 The Stone Roses released the seminal record “Fools Gold” a few years ago in an interview with Jockey Slut magazine the lyricist Ian Brown claimed the track was about Ecstasy and how you don’t need it to have a good time hence Ecstasy is the Fools Gold, Ian Brown also says he has not taken Ecstasy since 1990.

I have come to believe that Ecstasy is in a sense Fools gold, when I go out to a good club with a good atmosphere and great music, I do not feel the need to take Ecstasy and I do actually think I am having experiences which could only be likened to the effects of MDMA itself. Many people ask me what I have taken because I look so happy but I am in fact sober, “I’m having sex with the music and I can go all night” (source: Human Traffic - Moff).

I think a lot can be gained from MDMA but none more so than the realization that happiness is all in the mind and you just have to set it free. The feeling of natural happiness is a much nicer one than the chemical highs of drugs, although I think without taking the drugs it’s perhaps a lot harder to reach these states naturally. I believe that your brain having been in the position where it has felt these highs will associate certain sounds, flavors, feelings etc with the high meaning that if your brain has these associations triggered you can feel it again without the chemical assistance.

Walking around a club at 4am in the morning looking at all the fucked up people isn’t the most pleasant sight in the world, people staring into space, people off balance and jaw movements that would scare your Grandma. So is there really any need to go clubbing and take pills? I think not, if Ecstasy is Fools gold then we can recreate these feelings naturally and thus go out and save money and not dread the week after.

Ecstasy will teach you many lessons but the one lesson I learnt the hard way was, less is more. I started on ¼ of a pill, that was enough for me but within a few months this had grown to 10 pills a couple of years later and I’m back down to around 2 pills. Yes the quality of pills varies greatly although if we had lab-testing facilities this wouldn’t matter as much, but that is a different rant.

What I’m trying to say here is, think before you decide drug taking to be your new sport especially where Ecstasy is concerned. With no real studies into the actual long-term health effects we are putting our minds at risk, we can replace arms and legs these days but I’m not so sure about minds.

Ecstasy to me will always be my favorite drug, no matter how many interesting new psychedelics I take, I will always believe that Ecstasy changed me, changed me in a good way and changed me in a bad way but the fact that I can now see these bad ways and work out how to overcome them tells me its all good in the end.

If I had experienced Ecstasy for the first time in a club, it might all have been different but I think the only true way to enjoy the beauty of MDMA is out of a club in a comfortable place with all the things you enjoy.

I will continue to take Ecstasy for as long as I can but from taking too much I now have a greater respect for the drug and if I keep telling myself Ecstasy is Fools gold then I can surely achieve that state of mind whenever I please and I do.

I want people to read this and reconsider how they see Ecstasy, it’s a great tool, kind of like a chisel it can chip away at your inhibitions but it can also chip away at your mental health, a great carpenter never blames his tools.

Less is more and in many cases none at all is even better.

Reminder: I am posting this essay on behalf of someone else. Whether you want to agree or disagree, please put your thoughts in this thread. Do not send me PM's or emails unless you are contributing a new essay of your own. Thanks!

Great post, I agree 100%. In times past, I would not even go to a rave without pills (minimum 2)... these days, I rarely pill (1 - 3 pills a year). Ecstasy did more then make me high, it made me realise certain things in my life, and generally made me a happier, more outgoing person.

Again, awesome post.

Nice going!
Even natural highs do have a comedown, I noticed.
Sometimes Im enjoying me real good. But when Im at home or on a monday when I need to do stuff (right now), Im garbage :)

But nice write up man; the "fools gold"!

I agree, drugs have taught me how to be "high on life".

Before I used drugs that phrase had no meaning, now like the author I too can attend a rave/party/etc. and reach some seriously altered mind states on nothing more then good vibrations. In fact I have started to feel like taking drugs to enhance any already awesome experience is a waste, worse then taking drugs when you feel really depressed. (Both bad IMO.)

P.S. I do however think everyone should take their physcotropic of choice all alone, in perfect silence at least once.

Ditto, I prefer going straight these days, being fucked up takes away from me enjoying the music.

That's a terrific post... and holds a lot of truth.

However, admittadly, i think i'd have trouble recreating a high dose MDA+MDMA session; with all the eye wiggles and visuals sober...

Yeah - great post. I must say that although I don't think the pill high can be truly replicated naturally, a good track will send warm tingles rushing over my head and down my spine - yumm ;-)

Ecstacy definately changed my life. Where I was once a curious kid who LOVED electronic music, I became a kid who experienced it on ecstacy and there is nothing like that, at least once a day I think of the good times I once had. Sometime I even get upset because it feels like I will never be able to achieve the same happiness again...

In 1989 The Stone Roses released the seminal record “Fools Gold” a few years ago in an interview with Jockey Slut magazine the lyricist Ian Brown claimed the track was about Ecstasy and how you don’t need it to have a good time hence Ecstasy is the Fools Gold

Well, maybe, but I doubt it. For a start, the guitarist John Squires wrote the track 'Fool's Gold'. And the track is suitably ambiguous enough for anyone to claim its about anything. It might make sense if E was gold coloured in any way. But it isn't. Heroin is.

"The Marqiis de Sade don't wear no boots like these...."

This is all so true. When I first got into the scene, I rolled all the time....I started getting sick of rolling and I went to some parties sober....The first time I went sober, I was dancing and got this complete feeling of unity that was just as good as any drug, if not better....After that, I craved that same feeling....I haven't rolled for 3 years, and I'm having more fun now than when I was rolling all the time.

Nice Catch %)

The one thing that I am most thankful for, is that Ectasy allowed me to realize that I am able to attain a state of 'true happiness' without using the drug. I never knew one could feel so amazingly pure, and Ectasy showed me that I could, it opened up those dormant synapses in my brain, and let me know that they are there. So after taking pills for a couple of years, I have stopped. I don't need it anymore, because I know I can feel just as good without the drug. My brain knows how.

It has been almost three years since I have taken my last pill, and the oppurtunity came up three days ago to try it again. I though "why not? let's have a go". So I took two pills, one snorted, one swallowed, about 30 minutes apart. And you know what? It really was not that amazing, and we knew the pills were very good. It did feel good mind you, but I have gotten that feeling without Ectasy many times since I stopped, so I know I will most likely not do it again. There is no point, since I can attain that state without it.

Thank you X, for allowing me to be so happy :D

Catch-22 said:
If I had experienced Ecstasy for the first time in a club, it might all have been different but I think the only true way to enjoy the beauty of MDMA is out of a club in a comfortable place with all the things you enjoy.

Agreed.

themadhungarian said:
Nice Catch %)

*sigh*

I think this may sound lame, but drugs are very spiritual for myself...and also emotional as well...the second time I took a pill I was at a party where one of my favorite DJs was playing. And this is where it gets tricky....I honestly felt love for the first time (not desire, or lust). I'm usually a very cold bastard, I know, I've had a past history of lack of emotions (I've been called autistic by some). Sure it was the drug, and it in a way I'm probably a lesser person for not letting myself experience "love" naturally. So yeah, there it is. It was something I honestly didn't expect. Did it change me? Yes and no. I still am a very private person. So I think in that setting with the drug, I had the freedom to express my emotions, or express another side of myself.

Will I do it again? Absolutely. Will I look for the same effect? No.

my opinion is special k! is much more important than E-1 gaves it credit imagine bein in a k-hole and loseing your inheritance and your identity (yes) i lost mines but by the grace of God im recovering most of my senses and memory dat i lost in the process

I also get "Music Euphoria"

I particularly understood what was said in reference to the Cafe Del mar track.

I have listened to trance since i was 14 (only one in my year at school who did Lol)

I only really like old trance i dont like the way they make newer trance, Its boring to me.

Anywho, i understand how someone can enjoy music without having mdma.