L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

gay marriages (merged)

mean green 95

Bluelighter
what do yall think about gay marriages? i am all for them, i think it would be great for 2 ppl of the same sex to enjoy the happiness of marriage. i have no problems with it demeaning the meaning of marriage bc frankly i dont believe it will. actually i believe divorce demeans it more, eventhough i do believe marriage means something specific to each individual person and not whta society thinks. but yeah what are yalls thoughts comments on it. also abou tbush trying to make it an amendment that a marriage is defined by a man and a woman in the constitution.

I've got nothing against them
My mum is gay has been since I was 8.
She and her girlfriend had a commitment ceremony when I was about 12 and they are still together.

For it. I believe marriage is just getting the same last name because you love someone so much and want to be with them always and share the same name.

I am highly for gay marriages.
marriage SHOULD always be first and foremost about love, so why should homosexuals miss out on that declaration?
people who are opposed to it, i just dont understand their way of thinking. it just doesnt make sense for gays to not be allowed to marry.

I like the idea of a 'commitment ceremony' with the full legal rights of marriage rather than just a marriage. I tend to attach religious significance to marriage, but I mean I shouldn't in this day and age because marriage isn't so much about religion any more.

i think it's hilarious that all these conservatives are shaking in their boots over this issue.

it's real simple:

if you care about gay marriage, you are gay, whether you know it or not.

if you are straight and married this doesn't affect you in the slightest. don't try to make arguments about money or society falling apart, look at the USA now and tell me that a couple loving people getting together is going to make THAT worse... HA! no, the simple fact of the matter is, gay or not people can do whatever they want and the only people trying to stop them are CLOSET HOMOSEXUALS. suck a dick and get over it! you'll be much happier once you get it out of your system.

^ lol that rationilzation made me laugh a little. Telling people to "suck a dick and get over it" might work for OUR generation, but keep in mind that our parents come from a TOTALLY different generation where homosexuality was NOT an acceptable thing. People are called Conservative for a reason- they want to conserve the 'American way', which definitely includes marriage in their mind. I'm sure I don't have to go any further since most of us here already understand the gay/straight debate in America lately, so I won't.

I also strongly agree with Mellow*D though. Even though I'm not religious, I believe that we should keep marriage the way it is- liberals will always be outnumbered by conservatives on this issue, so just let the conservatives keep their marriage, and give homosexuals a similar ceremony with the same rights- just dont call it marriage.... yet.

Mellow*D said:
I like the idea of a 'commitment ceremony' with the full legal rights of marriage rather than just a marriage. I tend to attach religious significance to marriage, but I mean I shouldn't in this day and age because marriage isn't so much about religion any more.

Thats a great way to put it.........I like.

im against gay marriage 100%
if its against christian/jewish/whatever beliefs for 2gay men to get married, then they shouldnt get married by a priest/rabbi/whatever in a church/synagogue/whatever. its that simple

i think these couples should enjoy the full benefits of a legal 'marriage' and they have every right to be brought together in unison, just dont call that unison holy matrimony, because it isnt.

Miss Sin Is In said:
give homosexuals a similar ceremony with the same rights- just dont call it marriage.... yet.

and

247 said:
i think these couples should enjoy the full benefits of a legal 'marriage' and they have every right to be brought together in unison, just dont call that unison holy matrimony, because it isnt.

hmmmm, separate, but equal.... yeah that worked real well with another minority group in the past. :p

i completely support gay marriages.

if a heterosexual couple can fall in love and get married, why can't a gay couple too? while there are financial advantages that come along with being married vs. being single, i'd suspect that gays want to get married for more emotional reasons.

i really hope Bush's proposed ban on gay marriages does not become an amendment.

allan51 its either that or re-writing the bible. which of the two do you consider more realistic?

talk to dimmo he'll tell you all about it.

I am all for gay marriage. It angers me to see politicians bringing religion into this. Religion should have no place in whether or not a government will authorize or sanction a union between 2 people, whether gay or not.

And the fact that they want to attempt to pass a constitutional amendment on this is just overkill. If that passes, who the hell else knows what is going to be tried next.

Just my quick 2 cents.

^^see, that's exactly the problem with this whole situation (edit: for 247)

f*cking religion is the reason behind this absurd law in the first place. one groups beliefs repressing another groups liberty. shit, sign me up.

ummm no dude its actually perfectly understandable. liberty my ass, it has nothing to do with liberty. dont get wrong i am totally against religion and totally for gay rights, but you are viewing christianity as a 'group.' its much more than that, its not some girls only club that pulls up the ladder from the tree-house when the gay kid tries to climb up and join the happy boys and girls.

we're talking god here man. god is not to be fucked with.

this is true. As soon as the hand of god himself lays an almighty smackdown on these unnatural beasts, I'll stand corrected

oh and I do think the issue of not being allowed to marry in a particular church is understandable. I mean if the church in question does not allow gay marriages because of their beliefs, then yeah, I wouldn't ask them to perform the ceremony to begin with.

however, amending the constitution just so there is a national law to keep a group of people from having the same rights as everyone else is ludicrous

^^
amending the constitution to move that 'one nation under god' crap would make more sense

nowonmai said:
^^
amending the constitution to move that 'one nation under god' crap would make more sense
well we cant do that bc oour country was founded on christian beliefs. the way we are the way we do everythign up until we became a really multicultural society was directly related to christainity. its like taking the jam out of a donut i guess you could call it. i dunno how to make a good parallel.

Let's try and turn this one into more of an SLR thread and less of a CEP thread. :)

That said, how are you people missing the obvious- that in America, we have a separation of church and state? Given the policies and ideology of the current administration, this is not immediately visible but the fact is, not everyone is a Christian; not everyone lives in fear of fire and brimstone if they don't subscribe to the dogma.

The atmosphere in San Francisco right now is peaceful and civilized. It is wonderful to see so many happy families being brought together and given the opportunity to share their lives on an official basis.

If 'traditional' marriage is such a great institution, then why do most marriages end in divorce at some point?

It disgusts me that the Constitution is being defiled by this being a Constitutional issue in the first place. How well did Prohibition work? Why wasn't the Equal Rights Amendment passed in the 70's?

You'd think we'd have learned by now not to fuck with the Constitution.

I don't see gay marriage causing any social problems. So many kids came to watch Rosie O'Donnell and her partner, now spouse, speak subsequent to their marriage yesterday. The kids were smiling and clapping.

Love knows no gender, race, color or religion. People who would like to pledge their lives to one another should be able to do so free of government or religious interference.

It's all about progress, people. This is a step in the right direction.

Equal freedoms for everyone.

:)

Again, let's not let this get too far out of guidelines- would anyone like to comment on the social aspects of gay marriage?