• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

gay marriages (merged)

Maybe I'll get bashed for this but

I enjoy seeing the 'holy macrimony' be messed with a little bit. I am all for gay rights and I feel very strongly about the fact that marriage is an outdated tradition.

I dont see what negatives could come from it. Conservatives argue that gays are too promiscuous and spread disease... how could allowing marriage for more monogomous relationships hurt anything?

Pardon the typos.

its not jsut conservitive republicans that i see having a problem with it. i have many friends that are liberal democrats and parts ofmy family too, and they have a problem with it. i am a conservative republican, well maybe not too conservative. i think the blame cant be put on either conservatives or liberals. personally i think it has to do with interaction with gay ppl and culture and if you accept it or not.

if two people love each other and are willing to be committed to each other in a loving relationship, why should they be denied rights just because of their sexual orientation.....
in america, we are supposedly the "land of the free" and have certain rights as americans (but it only applies to wealthy white straight americans), and it sickens me that people should be denied certain rights and privileges just because they are "different"..... we are all human, who is to say whos beliefs are right and wrong.... thats what makes us individuals, having our own thoughts, beliefs and opinions.... but it seems anymore that unless you share the same thoughts as the "norm" you are not welcome in society...
im just waiting for laws to be passed stating that gays have to sit on the back of buses, and have their own water fountains, etc...

okay im done with my usual rambling like an idiot...

I agree with what mariposa said

also, if two people, gay or straight, love each other and want to get married, it only makes our society stronger.

however, some closed-minded individuals think a happily married gay couples would somehow be detrimental to our way of life...

and thier 50% divorse rates are doing us all kinds of good :p

synthetic sunrise said:
if you care about gay marriage, you are gay, whether you know it or not.

if you are straight and married this doesn't affect you in the slightest.

Well, I'm married and straight, and I believe gay marriage affects the world I live in - I believe this is denying one group of their rights.

Originally posted by 247 its either that or re-writing the bible. which of the two do you consider more realistic?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't that already been done? Isn't that why there are a few different "bilbles"? This almighty religous text that has been altered is your reason to deny gay rights?

I'm not religious, and last I checked, the US has seperation of church and state - I say, quit using YOUR religion to dictate what others do.

Quit dicking around about what word it is - civil union, marriage - if we are talking about it in a legal sense, it's all marriage.

noone is even 100% certain that the bible is supposed to be rules for a set way of life, or a collection of stories like aesops fables.... plus, many people interpret passages that benefit them (isnt there something in deuteronomy stating that women should not wear clothes that pertain to a man, ie, not permitted to wear pants...?).... if you are going to interpret the bible word for word, use the whole damn thing to base your life on, not just select "rules" here and there......

if america is supposedly the "melting pot" (ie, people of different relgious background {surprisingly not everyone in america is christian *gasp* why dont we start denying rights to everyone who isnt christian while were being assholes to those who arent straight}, beliefs, etc) why is it that we MUST base everything on christiantity and force those views on everyone.....

fuck, there i go again... hopefully some of that makes some sort of sense......

Unfortunately, the US is no longer a place where people can live their lives they want to. That is out the window, and has been for some time now. And, I think it is going to keep getting worse. Which is a shame really.

I think the main reason Bush is pushing the issue, and excuse me if this has been mentioned already, is because of the elections. Apparently the Bush camp feels that this will swing all votes of those who feel strgly about it in his favor. Apparently, there is a majority in the US that are for banning gay marriages.

again, my 2 cents . . .

I'm Straight and married, but my best friend of 7 years decided 2 years ago she was gay when she fell in love with a woman she works with. They have been together for, well, I guess it will be 3 years in May. But they don't have the right to be present in the Emergency room with each other ( family members only ), insurance benefits are denied to them, the right to pass on their property to each other if something should happen to the other one. Tell me how they are less entitled to these rights! Tell me what makes them second class citizens! Somehow, according to society my friend is less of a human being than she was 7 years ago when I met her, I have a REAL problem with that mentality. SO I guess we should amend the Bill of Rights to say, " Life , Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness unless you're GAY"?BULLSHIT!!!!

Do any of you think it is fair that a Christian church should be forced to marry two gay people when their bible states that homosexuality is a sin? (or at least, that church interprets it that way)

I don't think allowing two homosexuals to settle down and enjoy the benefits of marriage i.e. security, divorce settlements, immunity from giving evidence etc is wrong. On the contrary I think it's a great idea that should have been done sooner.

But to have any homosexual wedding begin 'We are gathered here in the eyes of our Lord' just seems fucked up to me. And to force a priest or minister to say that also seems screwed.

Mellow*D said:
Do any of you think it is fair that a Christian church should be forced to marry two gay people when their bible states that homosexuality is a sin? (or at least, that church interprets it that way)

I don't think allowing two homosexuals to settle down and enjoy the benefits of marriage i.e. security, divorce settlements, immunity from giving evidence etc is wrong. On the contrary I think it's a great idea that should have been done sooner.

But to have any homosexual wedding begin 'We are gathered here in the eyes of our Lord' just seems fucked up to me. And to force a priest or minister to say that also seems screwed.

Who said anything about these marriages being performed by churches?

Plenty of people are married by non-religious ceremonies - ever heard of a justice of the peace? Guess what they do - perform marriages. If a church has problems marrying gays, then they don't have to. It's their choice. Just like some churches won't marry one of their members to a member of another church. BUT if two people want to get married, they should be able to go down to the Justice of the Peace's office and get a marriage license giving them the rights that they deserve as citizens of the united states. It's so simple. The religion argument is simply invalid - marriage as we're discussing here is in the eyes of the law, not in the eyes of the christian god. First we need legal marriage rights for homosexuals, THEN they can start petitioning their churches or found their own churches if they want to be united in the eyes of the god and/or gods that they subscribe to. That's a completely different issue, and not one that's really even debatable, except within the church itself.

In case you didn't realize this, it isn't the church ceremony that makes a marriage legal - it's the marriage license, issued by the state. Why can't the state issue marriage licenses to two people of the same sex?

(sorry about the rant. this issue REALLY gets me fired up.)

ibizakat said:
(sorry about the rant. this issue REALLY gets me fired up.)

Same here - and I agree, a marriage is legal because of the license. I doubt that many homosexuals are Catholic ;)

The same arguments that can be used for gay marriage can be used for polygamous marriages/marrying someone underage/or incestious marriages. And dont bring any laws into it since we are ignoring laws in the books for gay marriages. Either you will support polygamy/incest/or me marrying a 14 year old, or you can come up with just one argument for gay marriages that cant be used for any of the above.

I want every straight person to ask themselves one question: If gay men & women were allowed to officially pledge their love to one another (a.k.a. Marraige) how would that DIRECTLY affect you in a negative way as to derail your direction in life?

It's rediculous how people think gat marraige is going to change the quality of life and society in america. Think about it...there are gay couples EVERYWHERE throughout the United States...is this affecting YOUR life? What would it matter if those same couples had an "official" title upon their communion? It's all just legality...it's not going to stop YOUR world from spinning.

And besides...what does the bible know anyway? It tells us that Eve was created from Adam's rib...gee why doesn't any of this shit happen today...Oh yeah I forgot our ulitmate ancestors ate a fucking apple and god threw us into the "real world" and to make it worse he surrounded us by THE GAYS!!!

lmao....this issue is so retarded. I used to get really fired up about this, but seriously if I find someone who is sexually discriminatory then I don't want to have anything to do with them anyway, so why waste my good mood and breath on going off on them.

Oh and about Bush's marriage amendment (and other various rediculous amendments which he plans to TRY to make stick)...lets look at HOW an amendment is passed:

First there needs to be a majority vote (2/3) in BOTH the House & the Senate for the amendment to be approved for the next step....Second 3/4 of all the 50 states have to AGREE (or ratify) to the amendment within 7 years for it to become or NOT become and amendment....

The chances of amendments concerning Anti-Gay Marraige, Anti-Abortion, & Pro Prayer In School on getting passed is rediculously slim to none....I'm not concerned one bit.

JosephTHeSequel said:
Either you will support polygamy/incest/or me marrying a 14 year old, or you can come up with just one argument for gay marriages that cant be used for any of the above.

Marrying a 14 year old? Well, I hardly see the connection. In some states, all you need is their parent's consent to do so. Also, I believe that the homosexuals are looking to marry adults - this is not about anything other then marrying someone of the same sex.

When will you understand that?!

I understand what it is, but it will start this country down a path I really dont want to see, a country which should be based on traditional family values. If gay marriage becomes legal, you can use the exact same basis to support polygmous marriages, marriages based on incest, or marriage with someone underage. Screw laws that are laready there because activist judges and rebel mayors already decided we dont have to follow them.

^thats a good point.

marriage is defined by law terms, so changing the law could change the face of marriage. Hell, im sure if they wanted to to they could make polygomy legal and let people marry all they want. where are we going to stop? if you give gay people their rights, who else is going to step up and ask next? And when they do, you can sure as hell bet everyone will be jumping on the bandwagon.

Im all for equal rights and gay marriage, i think it should be legal, but im hesistant to see what will happen because of it. Not for my sake because i could really care less what happens here, but for other people.

while gay marriage was legal in some states, and homosexual couples took advantage of it, did you notice society going to shit because of it? i sure as hell havent.... i really dont think it would make any difference....

as far as "traditional family values" wasnt interracial marriages considered against those values at one point (and im sure in some states it still is)? im sure many people still frown upon it, but i dont think it has made our country any worse....

i am a firm believer that homosexuality falls more into the nature part of the nature vs. nurture argument (i am not saying that some do not fall in the other category, but i did a report on homosexuality for a theology class about sex and sexuality, and most research i did was on studies showing that homosexuality is,in most cases, in someones inborn nature... plus many homosexuals knew when they were children that something was different about them before hitting puberty....), so should we start denying those born with physical or mental problems that arent part of the "norm" marriage also, because they are "different"... just like segregation many years ago, we denied rights to people who were born "different" from us and treated them as though they were not humans... laws in the country were changed, and society did not go down hill... look how many successful and powerful african americans are in our country because laws had been changed that discriminated against them..... and many people argued they didnt want to see what the country would be like (or as was stated above "it will start this country down a path i really dont want to see") if they were granted the same rights as everyone else....

the way i see it, the same color blood pumps through everyones veins, we are all human, and just because someone is considered not part of the "norm" i do not believe they should be denied important american rights......

Average Whiteboy said:
I support gay marriages because I support letting people living their lifes the way they want to.

Right on.

As I said before in CEP, don't give me that "If threatens the sanctity of traditional marriage" crap either. Just look at the divorce rate these days, it's very apparent NOBODY gives a rat's ass about the sanctity of marriage anymore.

Let people do their thing, this is nothing short of clear discrimination.

I like how when George Bush was asked why gay marriage is wrong, he replied "I just know it is." 8(