• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What can opiate withdrawal be compared to?

What everyone has said is very accurate. bottom line it sucks.

I just wanted to add, that all those horrible symptoms can be remedied with a pop of a pill, a injection, or a nice fat line.

Imagine feeling so sick, u want to cry, and right next door you are able to sniff a line, and instnaly be in bliss.

But even with all these good explanations, you still wont really have a good idea of what its like until you experience it yourself. Hopefully, you'll never have to...

I was a heroin addict and still use occosianly and all i can say is withdrawl is hell..you cant get up from bed you are sweating constanly twisting and turning and vomiting...the worst feeling ever

The half life is a total issue but with low half life opiates or opiods the withdrawl will come on quickly but won't last long. For shit like done that has a 48 hr like half life, it for me was like 2 days until i started feeling like REAL dookie. I did it cold turkey at the time but then i tapered off toward the end on various other opiates.

Iluv2getHI said:
Ive never done Heroin but Hydrocodone withdrawals suck enough for me. I keep quitting and keep starting back. I always have 3 days of hellish feelings then it starts to taper some. Ive started doing the step down method and it really helps alot. I try to keep around 20 for dier emergencies when im withdrawing but I love them so much I take them all before I even start withdrawing. Ive heard people say that Benzos help alot with withdrawls but Ive never tried any.

You wimpy girl..Hydrocodone...you cant ask for a more pathetic opiate than those cat testicles. If you are going to have withdrawls from practicly over the counter pain killers then i suggest you try something for real and experience real pleasure and suffer the consequences. its probably worth it and you wont regret it.

What sucks even more is the fact we ALL know how bad WD's are and we still
abuse opiates . You all described it perfectly. It's frigan hell! :p

^^^Yea, its hard to really feel the full force of opiod withdrawal untill you withdraw from something like a high dose of methadone, or a very chronic IV heroin user. I am not saying oral withdrawal from a drug like oxycodone isnt bad, it definately is, but the full syndrome seems to precipitate from HEAVY usage. My worst was taking 180mg of methadone, my usual dose, then taking an additional 180mg the same day, leaving me without a dose for the following day and a half. It was worse than my 800mg oxycodone IV withdrawal on the 4th day! I was chained to the toilet from the the non-stop vomiting. Its amazingly sensitive what happens from a interuption of my normal methadone blood level, plus i am a fast metabolizer. There is no doubt oral hydrocodone withdrawal is very uncomfortable, but if you arent spasming and vomiting like crazy, you dont know the full scope of opiod withdrawal.

One thing I've learned is fun *gasp* during withdrawal is listening to digital hardcore as loud as your ears can take it from headphones or quadraphonic speakers. (I reccomend paulina taylor or scott brown or neophyte or delta 9) Something about those creepy cold chills down my spine I find fun?

Oh something interesting me and my chick noticed is that the withdrawal chill is the EXACT opposite of the warm rush of the high!
Just the icy cold chill going up your tense spine, is the antithesis of the warm fuzzy rushes going down your relaxed spine. When you do a line (I don't do needles), you can seriously feel the direction (polarity) reverse!

I agree Bupe makes withdrawals not painful, but in my experience bupe withdrawal is painful... I'll see how my little experiment goes (7 days on fentanyl instead of bupe, now quitting tomorrow, back to codeine or bupe if it doesn't work)... I had relatively good results with 4 days on OC (20mg/day) last time I tried to quit bupe... I started bupe back on day 5 at 1/2 my previous dose (worked until I got the flu).

I admit to smiling alot while I withdrawal, yeah they suck and annoy me (especially the watery eyes and goosebumps - I so can't hide that at work), but I like knowing that my tolerance is lowering.

one thing i ALWAYS get and nobody mentioned if my bloodlevel of opiates(Methadon) goes too down i get so extremly horny. its gross! ;)

Everyone's description is pretty much right on the money. I have withdrawn about 4 times in my life starting with dilaudids, then morphine, and methadone twice. I do not wish this hellish experienc on anyone!!!

I have found that benzos do help and at least allow you to get some rest, but ultimately i am so afraid of withdraw that i continue to be on a methadone maintenance clinic. My best advice would be to try your hardest to not end up in the situation where withdraw is necessary. I know that is easier said than done, but if you can keep your opiate use on a recreational level that's the best way to go.

Best of luck to you and I hope you never have to experience the hellish pain of withdraw.:(

Withdrawl with oxy starts to set in after about 8 days of good usage. After 8 days the withdrawl will suck shit and you will feel like shit for a day or two.

What does opioid withdrawl compare with?

Mild benzodiazepine withdrawls in comparison with muscle problems/anxiety/insomnia issues. Opioid withdrawls produce more of the "sick" feeling like flu symptoms and bowel problems.

Ampheta-me said:
Most drug use that I've seen portrayed in the media has been very inaccurate. I'm curious if heroin withdrawal is really the unbearable experience that it is made out to be
Looks like the media got it right. Everyone basically said it sucks and is horrible.

LamminatedBuddha said:
I never lost my sexual appetite on methadone but on subutex atm its pathetic. In the prime of my life and I havent had a sexual urge in weeks. Time to break out the ghb? :)
What was you dose? Btw i have read its unhealthy for your passage in the penis where the sperm comes out because of bacterias which will grow there if you don't jerk off often enough, so watch out, you are warned! =D

My clinic is only open til 8 AM on Sat, which is the day you get your take home and the time I missed Sat was the worst WD I ever had. I never woke up late again. I have wd from oxy, hydro, morphine, and IV heroin use and no matter what opiate, at the time you feel like it can't get any worse. Its like the worst parts of the flu, depression, anxiety, and the shits rolled into one. Gives you an idea of what people with AIDs probally feel.

I have been wondering if it would be possible for a recreational opioid user to use bup (temgesic-no naltrexone) in between "real opiates" to maintain pain releif while maintaining the ability to get high on pure agonists and not becoming addicted physically? In other words use bup through the week for pain relief and then use Oxy's or H on the weekends to get high. I suppose you would still build tolerance. Just a thought because I use them for legit pain but also love the high.

You want to die for the first few days, (considering you're coming off a pretty strong smack habit) but if you have enough powerful benzos, it helps to ease the pain. The trick is to get fucked up enough so you don't event think about it.

Imagine the absolute worst flu of your life, multiply it by ten, and pretend you're walking 5 miles to the hospital...and just as you cross the street to enter the hospital, you get hit by a bus. When you get in the hospital, they transfer you back and forth every 5 minutes from a sauna to a walk in meat freezer. This goes on non-stop for three days, then you SLOWLY start to feel better. Then after it's done, the boredom, deppresion, anxiety and insomnia is left with you as a parting gift.

At least this is what it was like for me ( Classic JUNKIE...Primary Oxycodone addiction <500mg a day> , plus Oxymorphone, Hydromorphone, Morphine, Heroin, Vicodin, Fentanyl, Hydrocodone, codeine, Methadone) for over a year.

I know this post is old but I thought someone might stumble across it someday. If they do and need some support getting over the sickness, PM me. I'll help if I can.

when i start to get slightly sick i get REALLY horny ,and i cant last no time

well i havent gone through full blown w/d and i have done up to .5g a day habbit of heroin but i always ad somthing to fall on mainly methadone

and i was up to 150mg of methadone a day for 3 months and got cut off ,but after 8 days i started iv'ng OXY and it still took 4 days to feel the rush from 120mg of oxy IV

i have been through alcohol w/d from staying drunk for 20-45 days at a time and i mean STAYING drunk drink till i pass out get up drink till i pass out over and over and over, stopped eating or drinking anything but beer,liqour and this is what i wet through so tell me if opiod w/d would compare

HORRIBLE shaking ,constant vomiting ,and i mean spasm vomiting i would cramp when i puked,puking blood ,hering voices seeing shadows ,so weak i couldnt stand up by myself ,couldnt sit just fall down ,sweating so bad my bed was soked,head racing ,my mood would change from sad to happy to mad to suicidal ,to wanting to stab myself and people around me for no reason but just to do it ,these changes would happen within seconds literally

no sleep at all ,and when drunk for the 20-45 days,all i did was pass out ,i didnt sleep at all,and passing out drunk isnt sleep

the spasms were horrid constantly twitching shaking ,puking on myself ,pissing on myself ,shitting myself before i made it to the toilet cause i was to weak to get up ,i starred at the wall for the most of 9 days just cause i couldnt really move much ,but when i did watch tv i was constantly trying to find somthing to occupy my speeding thoughts and i would laugh at anything and then cry a secong later ,and be pissed at that or happening

the anxiety was so horrid,thats what made me keep drinking i had to get ridof the anxiety it tortured me so badly ,a few times i was in w/d and more alcohol wouldnt cure me it just made me feel worse,but i still drank it just to pass out

is FULL BLOWN OPIOD W/d worse than this?