• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Vitamin C and Tripping?

I tried doing LSD a couple of hours after taking 3,000mg of Vitamin C, and noticed no discernible difference in my trip. I did sort of notice a weird buzz about 60 to 90 minutes after taking the C though, hard to describe but it was definitely a threshold of something.

I might (might) try this again but take the vitamin C AFTER the acid instead of before so that they "peak" around the same time.

As I just wrote in another thread, I tried the doseage scenario outlined in that report, and it did nothing discernible. So it may indeed be total crap.

I was somewhat surprised to feel a little buzz from that much vitamin C though. I would not have predicted it would feel like anything by itself.

According to my Psychobiological Aspects of Drugs professor Vitamin C does not affect your trip in any way at all

lol, how would he know? Nobody even really knows exactly how these drugs work anyway, so how would anyone know if vitamin C makes a difference? In my experience, it definitly helps with the body kinks you get from some substances.

I always used to hear this.......having a bad trip, drink orange juice or any source of vit c. to make u come down...............dont know whether it would have any effect chemically, but psychologically it could be true......saying to someone "here drink this you will soon feel better".......thats my 2 cents anyhow

No references, sorry.

But my vitamin nut friend commented to me that 2grams of Ascorbic acid (pseudo C that comes in tabs) has a 'depressing' effect on the nervous system and is good to rest. Never taken that much at once, although I suspect one would have better results in general with a MIXTURE of C as opposed to just one chemical (with rose hips if you're lucky), similar to what is present to what we have been injesting for thousands of years. Not what's been on the shelf at GNC.

If nothing else vitamin C can provide priceless entertainment while tripping. I once watched a kid chew up 3 of the non-chewable tablets. He was about halfway through the second one when I noticed what he was doing. I almost stopped him but it was just too funny. By the time he finished the third one I couldn't help it and broke out laughing. This brought it to everyones attention and he was promptly declared a dumbass. Ironicly I also know a kid to tried to swallow one of the quarter sized chewables.

Vitamin C and psychedelics

[I did search, however the only words that the search feature allows are Vitamin and Psychedelics. If this has been covered in a previous thread, I apologise, and will you direct me? Thank you.]

I want to know precisely which Psychedelics are aided through the ingestion of Vitamin C, why, and in what form the vitamin c should be taken.

Love and peace.

Even though a multi-vitamin before a trip is a good idea to stay in tip-top shape during the trip, it is a myth that vitamin C potentiates psychedelic drugs, or intensifies a trip.

I take vitamins along with psychedelics not for potentiation but for feeling physically optimal for the trip.

Vitamin C is also a very good antioxidant which is good to take along with anything that produces free radicals. MDMA and 2C's have been known to produce free radicals and I always take vitamin C along with them just for health reasons.

I still wonder about this, as people just don't want to give up the vitamin C thing. I've heard all sorts of apparent nonsense regarding the aiding in digestion of the mushrooms or whatever psych is in question. I think there might perhaps be some small pharmacological reasons that make some sense, but nothing to explain the potentiation some people seem to think they get. I've come to believe it is largely placebo, as I've yet to hear anything concrete about it.

vitamine C protects neurons from MDMA tolerance, dependence and its general neuron toxicity. I know that for a fact, but do we class MDMA as a psychedelic

There's a linky here for a smidge of vitamin C and MDMA stuff and an old thread here that mentions vitamin C reducing the effect of MDMA. Shame the paper it links to seems to be gone now though cos there's not much in the way of info in that thread.

vitamine C protects neurons from MDMA tolerance, dependence and its general neuron toxicity. I know that for a fact, but do we class MDMA as a psychedelic

Dunno about "we" but I class it as an entactogen/empathogen/headfuck. ;)

Erowid said:
This means [for rats] that antioxidants administered with MDMA may not only reduce neurotoxicity, but may also decrease the reduction in effects experienced with a second dose a week later

Now that sounds great :D

It is likely that the levels of neurotoxicity demonstrated in rats at doses of 10+ mg/kg are much worse than those experienced by any moderate recreational user of MDMA...

The doses of antioxidants given to the rats are also very high. Injected doses of 100mg/kg of ascorbic acid would be the equivalent of 5-10 grams (!) of vitamin C injected into humans, an extremely high dose. It is impossible, given the limited data, to know what levels of oral antioxidants might be required to reduce MDMA-related oxidative stress.

Could be hard to titrate human doses from that though 8o:!:D

[I did search, however the only words that the search feature allows are Vitamin and Psychedelics. If this has been covered in a previous thread, I apologise, and will you direct me? Thank you.]

I want to know precisely which Psychedelics are aided through the ingestion of Vitamin C, why, and in what form the vitamin c should be taken.

Love and peace.

Back in the day( early 90's), everyone insisted you pound down some Orange Juice with LSD to enhance your trip. Not as scientific as some of the answers you will get from most of these pros, but I heard it enough to share.

I'd do anything to get as much out of my adventures as possible, so I drank the OJ several times, but I think this is a myth as I had crazier trips without it.

The only mechanism I can see how this could actually help is to increase dissolving and absorption rates for some psychedelics (such as mushrooms, where the alkaloids are not pre-dissolved), which might result in quicker onset and more rapid peak. Similar to why preparing mushrooms as tea somewhat increases the efficiency. Other than that, it's a myth.

I think Recept is right. To elaborate: the absorption is dependant on the acidity among other things. Psiloc(yb)in is absorbed better and faster / more efficient in an acidic environment so premixing with OJ or other fruit juices indirectly potentiates although this isn't really a psychopharmalogical/neurological phenomenon. I bet many other tryptamines work well with acids too, although it might just be psilocybin because it's a zwitterion. Vitamin C is ascorbic acid but in fruit juices there are probably many more acidic compounds.
MDMA on the other hand is more efficiently absorbed in an alkaline / basic environment so maalox or other antacids should indirectly potentiate exactly the same way only pretty much the other way round. I also guess other phenethylamines might possess this same property but again I can't be sure of that at all.

Hopefully there are people with enough time, motivation and materials on hand to go test what optimal stomach pH is for different substances. It should prove much safer than MAOI potentiation while it doesn't cloud the quality of the trip. Of course there are limits to the pH you can subject your stomache to but cola is like pH 3 so regarding acidity there should be a decent margin. Your stomache is built for acid (hydrochloric right) but not bases so be careful with that! You don't want to take too many antacids otherwise the protective barrier function of the stomache is undermined and you will get infections and other nasty shit. Combine that with a trip and you got yourself messed the hell up even more.