• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Vitamin C and Tripping?

Yeah, I was going to elaborate on the acidic contents, but forgot for some reason.

I think that's an interesting idea you have there regarding phenethylamines. Most of them take quite long to reach maximum effects, perhaps if most optimal conditions for absorption were discovered the onset could be shortened considerably? Definitely worth experimenting with IMO, unless someone could come up with a more theoretical approach.

The only mechanism I can see how this could actually help is to increase dissolving and absorption rates for some psychedelics (such as mushrooms, where the alkaloids are not pre-dissolved), which might result in quicker onset and more rapid peak. Similar to why preparing mushrooms as tea somewhat increases the efficiency. Other than that, it's a myth.

This would match my experience with adding 6g of VitC to 2g of Cubensis (small dose "just in case" for the experience). Quicker onset, quicker peak, significantly shorter duration (near baseline by about the 3.5 hour mark).

More qualitatively, it was akin to the come up of a higher doseage mushroom trip; and then I was coming down. Because of the qualitative aspect and my general dislike for the coming up phase, I saw little value in repeated experiments.

One of my first post in PD was about vitamin C and psychedelics. I pretty much learned that they dont interact. But its still good to take vitamin C everyday. You should always eat your vitamins :D

Vitamin C after LSD

YMMV.

Some people notice increased potency on psychedelics and phens with Vitamin C, and others do not. Myself personally, drinking a full glass of Orange Juice or eating a 500 mg chewable Vitamin C tablet, is almost like doing a whip-it.

that sounds ridiculous, but i've never done it so who knows...

now, i was gonna take a vitamin c pill or a glass or two of OJ with 2cb/2ce, but i just want it for the health benefits. not to make me trip harder. i'm not really gonna trip harder from vitamin c (i don't think)

I don't think it makes you trip harder, for me it's just a brief sensation that you experience - it feels like a small peak of it's own. Which is why I said similar to whip-its on Psychedelics (like maybe a quarter balloon full of N2O).

I keep my health benefits well away from me psyches, personally. There's room for both but they don't seem to have any reason to come together so keep them seperate, myself :)

i think i'm gonna take like a gram of vitamin c slightly before or with my 2cb and subsequent 2ce doses. i'll report back.

^Wait until you come up and start feeling the substance, then take it. See if you notice what I notice. Some do some don't.

it makes more sense in my mind to take it before hand to get the potential protective effects. maybe i can take 500mg or a gram like an hour before and another gram or half gram during my trip

shit, now i gotta go buy vitamin c supplements
i have a jug of OJ

^Between my friends and I, we go through almost a whole bottle of chewable Vitamin C every time we roll or trip.

Good thing humans don't have endogenous Vitamin C production :)

seems like a lot bro. be careful! =D

i'm just taking a bit. like one or two supplements probably. 1 or 2 grams. maybe just like 500 mg or 3 cups of OJ. i'll prob have some that morning for breakfast, some before i dose, and some with my dose to mask the 2cb taste.

Last edited:
^it's actually nearly impossible for the body to overdose on Vitamin C, you might have explosive diarrhea the next day though, but that's a completely different situation lol

Hmm I readily believe that vitamins and body/health supplements can give you a noticeable boost, but if you ask me that is hardly about direct drug interaction if at all.
If you take certain vitamins/supplements it can give quite a rush sober, probably because many parts of metabolism including neurotransmitter and energy maintenance is instantly boosted and supported. If you are already on a drug that exaggerates how you feel which is also connected to neurotransmission then it should come as no surprise that it feels very right.
Stuff like Q10 has occasionally set me straight a whole lot, especially when it was of extra good use like postloading the morning after having gone a bit wild.
Even if you took a psychedelic that is basically physically benign I can imagine that an intense experience can produce mild frying which I guess is basically mild encitotoxicity and/or energy depletion. When that happens something like a good anti-oxidant could be a bit more protective than it already is in and of itself, if you become aware of this happening in your body that little bit can go on to precipitate stronger placebo-effect than normal especially since a trip increases suggestability. And there you have it, complex self reinforcement that makes some people go 'myth!' and others 'not-so-much-a-myth!'.
Reasonable? It is to me.

does vitamin c work ?

i have often heard the rumor of vitamin c intesifing trips and it seems every time i take vitamin c while tripping it always turns out to be a more intense trip.anyone else noticed the same effects ?

I found a couple threads on this and I've heard people say this before so I merged them.

I'd say it's a myth or placebo though. I've never experienced a hightened trip after taking a vitamin C pill.

However if I take a sip of juicy, fresh, citrus tasting orange juice while on a trip that'll give it a nice sensual kick :)

Since Linus Pauling did his initial studies and got almost religious regarding vitamin C and it's supposed cure-all, fix-all effects it was initally followed up by a number of studies that seemd to indicate many positive effects on health. Among lay persons and companies selling the stuff this view still prevails.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that according to Ben Goldacre, author of "Bad Science", the most systematic studies carried out by the Cochrane foundation has revealed serious methodological flaws in the early studies. It was simply not foreseen that the cherry picking of Pauling could have such a devastating effect on the truthfulness of the research,

The scientific consensus now is that 1. yes, malnutrition is a bad thing and in that case it's good to take a supplement and 2. there are no positive effects associated with large doses of vitamin C (or any other vitamin for that matter), in fact the ingestion of mega-doses of vitamins is associated with excess mortality. So basically what we know is the same old same old: that humans function best within a fairly narrow band. Excess in either direction is harmful.

After centuries with scurvy afflicting malnourished sailors and artic explorer it's perhaps not surprising that lots of people felt "something had to be done". And if a little is good, maybe more is better. It was plausible.

Also bear in mind that especially in the industrialized countries there has never been such a wonderful access to fresh fruit and vegetables year round. Almost no one lacks any deficiencies in any vitamins. Where deficiencies are found it's mostly due to a voluntarily restricted diet: like eating only MacDonalds or (for other vitamins) vegetarianism and veganism. One might perhaps add alcoholism here, because the extremely excessive intake of alcohol is known to deplete vitamin C.

As others have pointed out vitamin C is an anti-oxidant that neutralizes free radicals, i.e. certain molecules damaged by oxygen. Smoking, but also excercise, creates lots of free radicals in the body.

Eating a healthy diet is in all likelihood enough, and eating fruits anti-oxidizes better than the synthethic compound. (Some fruits, however, are known to have enzymatic inhibitors, and those certain fruits can in fact make some trips more unhealthy - grapefruit notably in some cases).

I very much doubt vitamin C influences the trip in any way, and I would certainly not put much stock in user observations here as they are vulnerable to the placebo effect. Homeopathy wouldn't work without placebo for instance.

One more thing: if you really wanna test this out yourself, please do a double blind study. That is: have one person not present prepare the drug in two versions: one with just the drug, another with the drug+vitamin C and have the different pills labelled. Then have another person who knows nothing of the content distribute the non-transparent capsules to the actual users. Then over a good 100-1000 trips have those receiving the pills guess whether they got the pure or mixed pill. Then do statistical analysis on it.

Heh, I'm not just being a smartass here, but I wanted to hint at how difficult it is to actually do proper science that eliminates possible sources of error and confounding variables.

Last edited:
I think it has to do with citric acid which is contained in vitamin C, which is why lemon and lime juice also work. I think Vitamin C may act to nullify any free radicals released by the drug in question. It also has neuro and vascular protective qualities. Vitamin C also provides a source of Collagen for the human body to grow new skin cells, maintain organ structure, etc... I've also heard that Vitamin C repairs the venous system by making the veins more pliable due to increased collagen production and ability to pump more blood easier, which means more oxygen to the organs, and the brain. More oxygen definitely increases the feeling of euphoria for anybody.

ive heard the same about vitamin c. It definatly doesnt hurt though which is the most important thing. I believe it helps with the absorption