• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Chemicals/Methods for Cleaning your Bong/Glass pipe?

Metal Piece Question

Searched, but couldnt find an answer...

Here's my deal. I brought this beautiful piece home from Cancun Mexico with me. Its a very intricate metal piece with really small features. There is a circular pattern of stones on it around the base of the bowl.

my question is will soaking it in isopropyl alcohol clean it without harming the stones on the piece?

Uhh, since when did alcohol hurt rocks? It might eat up glue if that's what's holding the rocks on though...

Don't soak it if your worried, swab it... or just fill the insides with iso and let that soak.

in all seriousness, i can get my bongs and bowls perfectly clean with a thin cleaning brush (they kinda look like christmas trees) and a shitload of hot water. As I always suggest aswell, soaking it overnight in a carbonated drink will do wonders and you won't be risking anything.

Re: Metal Piece Question merged

princessleia said:
my question is will soaking it in isopropyl alcohol clean it without harming the stones on the piece?

Yes.

thanks... soaked it, and ran it through hot water... but the parts on this biatch are so tiny... there is no way a pipe cleaner or my baby brush will fit into it.

oh well... maybe i'll try soaking it for a day instead of 8 hours... that might help some.

thanks for the suggestions. :)

"Hmmm dun think the whole 'while you're passed out sleeping' thing would work if the pipe in question was a meth pipe."

you apparantly havent tried meth....meth is an upper....

nick

no, i completely despise meth. never done it... and never will. imo it is the worst thing you could ever put into your body. i've seen what it does to people.

its actually a hash pipe that i brought back with me from mexico a year ago.

ive done meth once, fucked me retarted, so i wont do it again, i was just pointing out that it was an upper...

nick

****back to bong cleaning topic****

Bowl Cleaning worries

Hey. I recently put a screen in my bowl (which, btw, I think has helped a ton in both pulling through or sucking in dust, and in getting high) and it had gotten a bit clogged with ash and the like. So I began to clear it out, not completley clean it up, but just enough to get the crap out of the screen. I also used a bit of hot water and some more 91% rubbing alcohol to make it dry out quicker. I waited for about 15 mins and started smoking. Towards the end, I realized that there was a distinct taste of the rubbing alcohol and the smoke was a bit more damp tasting/feeling. So i stopped, fearing that I might be inhaling rubbing alcohol fumes.
Now, would I have only tasted the residue of the rubbing alcohol? And if the resin was still damp from water, would more chemicals like formaldehyde (CH20) form as there is a larger presence of water with somewhat incomplete combustion of both the bud and the regular throw away lighter (propane or butane)?

Just rinse your screens with warm water. You don't need to use alcohol on your pipes at all (although that is a viable option)
What you tasted was alcohol residue. No way you got permanent damage from frickin rubbing alcohol man! You paranoid stoner!
Try using extremely hot water and letting your piece set in it. Try pipe cleaners. Try oxyclean or a detergent/degreaser that is safe for humans. Always rinse thoroughly regardless of what you use.

To clean screens just grab them between your thumb and index finger(s) and rock the screen back and forth, this will break free any embedded ash or tar.

To clean a screen, remove it from the pipe and flatten the screen. Then use tweezers to hold it and burn it with a lighter for a few seconds. If there is enough resin the screen will catch on fire and burn away the resin, if there isnt enough resin just hold the flame on the screen for a few seconds, but not for too long, sometimes burning it for too long will weaken the screen and it won't last as long. After burning it wait for it to cool down and grab each side of the screen, then move it back and forth and the burnt resin and ashes will fall off.

hydrogen peroxide any good for cleaning glass pipe?

i know ive heard isopropyl alcohol being good for cleaning bowls tho...

White Flag said:

If you want to clean it so that its spotless, though, boiling it has always worked quite well for me. Just designate a pot for the pipe since the resin likes to stick to the sides of it and won't come off. If someone has a way to keep the resin that floats to the top from sticking to the pot, please post.

On the right track White Flag, before you throw your glass pipe in the pot, stick it in a couple coffee filters and close em up around it, use string, staples, just about anything, then you don't waste all that resiny goodness just let the coffee filters dry and voila, a big glob of the stuff. Makes for less cleanup afterwards too.

Re: Pipe cleaning

Loki_thc said:
I was wondering if anyone had tips on cleaning a glass pipe.
I tried using hot water to clean it out, but know half the colour in my pipe is gone. Any soultions? And will the colour return?

LMFAO
the COLOUR (as you spell it) IS the RESIN
if u have an inside-out-color-changing spoon like SWIM does, anyways

The color on color-changing pipes is provided by the resin. If you want my advice? Toothpick or paperclip and hot water. Do it in the sink and be carefull not to break your damn pipe (happened to me once and it sucked).

DO NOT BOIL PIPES! It makes them weak. For real!

-weez