• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Lethal dose of cocaine

yes toxic symptoms HAVE very rarely been reported at doses that low, mostly IV however. And Although toxic effects can take place under the lethal dosage it isn't exactly the cocaine killing you, its just side effects from the cocaine.

Three nights ago my friend went into the same sort of seziure as described by pa. : Convulsions, foaming at the mouth etc. and almost OD'ed but then came to. We IV it though most times so we always test the strength first now. As for snorting, I've done well over 1- 1.5g in a night and never had any OD symptoms just from snorting. But everyone's different.

is that LD of 1.5 grams an accurate number?

i know we get shitty coke but ive been well past that number plenty of times...

Yeah, that's what the PDR says anyway...
Remember, your body clears coke pretty quickly, so we're probably talking about doing it all at once...and, that's for 100% pharmaceutical cocaine, most likely...plus you have to factor in tolerance, so there's a lot of variables...:\

lovetolovetolove said:
Good to know...I took a risk with it my second time ever and snorted about 1.2 grams in one go, so those minimum lethal dosages can be tricky. People have died on less of course. And I had to go to the ER just for an extremely rapid heartbeat which was giving me problems, after only about .6 grams. I'm not taking it again as a result of that, I don't want to risk it anymore...not that I ever DID, but...you know.

If coke can do that to you, you should stay away from all stimulants legal or not:ephedrine, amphetamines(dex/adderral/ritalin), meth, E........

I'm fairly sure 1-1.5g all at once will kill you. The cocaine leaves your bloodstream fairly quickly. I think the 95mg/kg is about right. As I mentioned before 7,500mg for a 175lb male. But what are the time restraints for the LD50? All in one go? What method of administration? Not very clear.

Originally posted by jersey drape
is that LD of 1.5 grams an accurate number?

it's not at all accurate because an LD50 is not described in terms of an absolute amount.

an LD50 is described in an amount per unit of body weight. from erowid, the LD50 of cocaine (in a mouse) is 95.1mg/kg.

i weight 180lbs which is 81.64kg. hence, for me, the nominal LD50 is 7764mg (just under 8g).

that could be quite a misleading figure for a number of reasons (i'm not a mouse for one).

in the interests of harm reduction, it's almost impossible to give the thread-starter any kinf of figure because the natural reaction is to say "ok, so i'll be ok up to n grams" when, in reality (given that different people react differently to different drugs) a smaller amount could cause serious problems.

the best thing to do is educate oneself on the substance using resourcs like erowid and bluelight (search is good) and use the drug as responsibly as possible.

be safe.

Originally posted by Tha Chronic
we get 93% round here.

how would you know that?

alasdair

AznRaver said:
If coke can do that to you, you should stay away from all stimulants legal or not:ephedrine, amphetamines(dex/adderral/ritalin), meth, E........

Yes, I should have taken that advice, as I had a similar and more frightening experience from meth this week.

I've had enough of stimulants.

"The cardiac effects of cocaine include acute myocardial infarction, ventricular dysrhythmias, and sudden cardiac death (2).

The pharmacological effects of cocaine on the cardiovascular system are varied and dose dependent. At low doses, the sympathomimetic effects of cocaine predominate resulting in tachycardia, vasoconstriction, and hypertension (2). At higher doses, cocaine-related myocardial sodium channel blockade predominates. Cocaine is a potent blocker of fast sodium channels in cardiac myocytes and conduction tissues, which has been postulated to be the mechanism of cocaine-related dysrhythmias, myocardial depression, and sudden death (3-5).

Journal of Toxicology: Clinical Toxicology, Oct 2003 v41 i6 p777(12) "

If an average person without any heart problems snorts several lines of cocaine and then proceeds to have a heart attack, then I think it is safe to say that he died from acute cocaine toxicity, manifested in a fatal heart attack. My point is, the LD50 for cocaine in rats/mice probably included a few rats/mice who died from cocaine-related dysrhythmias, myocardial depression, and sudden death. The scientists probably also didn't say "Hmm...these died of heart attacks and would not have had heart attacks just now if we didn't inject them with cocaine, but we aren't going to use their data to compute the LD50, since what we want is the lethal dose and all..."

And if I have convinced you that cocaine toxicity can be manifested in different ways (i.e. a heart attack), and that there might be a causative relationship between the two, then you might consider some of the reports of life-threatening symptoms in patients undergoing nasal surgery with cocaine used as a local anasthetic. Some of the doses reported were as low as 125mg applied on gauze to the inside of the nose. This is pure cocaine (you will never get coke this pure on the street in the US) but it is not like the patient is snorting a line-the doctor makes a point to minimize the amount of systemic absorption of the drug. Anyways, one patient had a heart attack, one had torsade des pointes (sp?), one had atrial fibrillation, etc, all life-threatening side effects from modest amounts of cocaine. I think that one of the patients died from cardiac arrest, but all of the patients could have died from the above side effects if not for the fact that the surgery was usually aborted and the symptoms promptly treated. And the toxicity mechanism here is cocaine's local anaesthetic effect when absorbed systemically (leading to conduction abnormalities in the heart).

I am not trying to propagandize for the ONDCP, but I think it's folly to say that cocaine didn't cause the death of someone who develops an irregular heartbeat and dies minutes after the coke was applied to their nose.

Tha Chronic said:
we get 93% round here.

so your a member of the cartell I assume, if not your coke is not 93%... 93% pure coke would take less than 50mg too get totally geeked.

Thats funny, you can purify coke, but you can't spell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Statistically, a regular cocaine user is seven times more likely to suffer a heart attack then a non-user.

Statistically, you are 24 times more likely than normal to have a heart attack in the hour following cocaine use.

yes my friend, it varies with your input, average coke being from 1-10 on a scale based on what youve gotten from toehrs

whats your exacty height and weight, whats the most youve ever done?

also, unless youre quite elderly or ill, it wont sneak up on you, you'll know when you crossed that line, at least i hope. just dont watch scarface and think wow i want to make lines with my hands, fuck credit cards... everything in moderation.