• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Melatonin & Cannabis (merged)

OSWebman

Bluelighter
I'm this huge vitamin/supplement freak, and I smoke in large quantities a couple of times a month. I wanna boost up the hallucinational effects of herb and I checked on this post and many others like it
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112876&highlight=potentiating
and discovered melatonin. I did a ton of research and even tried melatonin+valerian+b-6 which yielded great dreams, but the only real info I got on melatonin and weed was a quick erowid experience.
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=22021
I have finals comming up soon, so I'm thinking of a smokeout the week after. Any helpful info of these two together would be useful. Thanks and piece
-----------------------------------------------------------
Tool & Apc

I didn't check that thread, but I have a feeling I was one of the people talking about melatonin + cannabis.

Take 12mg of Melatonin, wait half an hour, and smoke about half as much weed as you'd normally smoke to get real baked. I recommend doing this before you want to go to bed, because eventually it will make you tired. You should enjoy falling asleep with the floaty, calm, melatonin feeling, plus I think the Melatonin increases the minor visuals you can get from pot.

Give it a try, I've yet to hear from other people who think Melatonin + cannabis is a little bit psychedelic.

I've tried this combination a couple times, i guess its fun, subtle is the word. But i dunno, for some reason melatonin makes me feel wierd, really tired and relaxed, but in a different way that say something like soma. I didn't notice any change in weed's psychedelic properties when taken with melatonin, but then again i don't smoke that much when i take melatonin, so i say give it a try, you could like it and/or get more pronounced visuals.

oh, and i only take 6 mg melatonin at a time when i did it, i'll try taking 12 next time. peace

I was planning to try this combo as a sleeping aid for some time and I finally got to purchasing some melatonin last week. I must say, it really does seem to potentiate the high quite a bit. I find this a great sleeping aid, better then the temazepam I was taking on prescription.

^^
It is a great sleeping aid but unfortunately you build tolerance to it rather quickly. The only way I can use melatonin effetively is to take breaks without and then take it only on the nights I really need it.

I've tried it a littlebit in the past with interesting if inconclusive results - I was afraid to up the dose due to possible interactions with all the other crap I take.

Anyone know what the skinny is in mixing Melatonin with alcohol or SSRIs? I'm on a high daily dose of both =D

--- G.

Mixing Melatonin & Herb

Queston for you guys: i got a nice blunt of kb i just finished rolling which is going straight to my dome piece. but then i was thinking i should post this and see if melatonin does when combined with weed.

I got a shitload of 1mg tablets...will it increase/decrease high? visuals ? and whatnot

-Komcaz

goddamn there isnt anyone here that knows anything about this or am i just being an ass

Melatonin will not really increase any positive effetcs of the weed. It is very non recreational. It's supposed to help you fall asleep naturally...

^^^
I disagree.

I've taken Melatonin with herb a few times, and each time I've noticed that it seemed to potentiate the psychedelic aspect of the cannabis high.

I feel like I am in a more dreamlike state even though I am awake, and also there is much more movement in the shadows and corners of my vision. On 12mg of Melatonin, followed 30 minutes later by a bowl of herbs, I had surprising visuals. Granted, I get visuals more easily and more drasticly than most people seem to, but there is some definite synergy.

At least for me!

im with you bluedolphin. i tried after i saw u mention it and noticed increased psychedelic effects aswell.
i took 9mg.

funny question, ive been trying to take a break off weed again, so im taking melatonin to help me sleep. last night i took 9mg, and i hadnt smoked any weed, and i could notice wierd things with my sight as far as color and movement went, then i decided to hit up a very small bowl, and i got alot higher than i would have off that small little bowl (probably like 4-5 good hits). i dont think melatonin is really anything to write home about. there is no recreational value, it just makes me sleepy. i enjoy melatonin mainly because of the lucid dreams I encounter while taking it.

Hmm maybe I need to try this. I think I have in the past, not expecting anything to happen.

Placebo maybe?

I bought a whole bottle of melatonin pills (3mg each) over the summer and used it up until fall. I do remember reading, as I'm sure many of you have, that smoking weed releases melatonin in large quantities as does falling asleep. Some have speculated that melatonin is distantly related to dmt and in sufficient doses this could theoretically be metabolized into dmt by the body. After taking the melatonin for so long I think it is safe to say that any effect from the melatonin is closer to placebo although I to did notice a 'subtle, calming effect' I do believe it was because I thought that's how it should make me feel according to my elementary understanding of brain chemistry and drug pharmacology. I don't think melatonin does anything but at the price I paid ($3) for 100 pills, it doesn't hurt you either way and has never been demonstrated to be toxic even in very high doses and is actually more or less beneficial except that it can lower body temp and lead to a depressed immune system.

Re: Placebo maybe?

tokey said:
Some have speculated that melatonin is distantly related to dmt and in sufficient doses this could theoretically be metabolized into dmt by the body.
its a tryptamine, its in Thikal somewhere, Im just too lazy at the moment to find it.

MELATONIN: Your Body's Natural Wonder Drug,

http://www.cures-not-wars.org/melajuana.html

CURESnotWARS

MELATONIN
and MARIJUANA

Effects of THC on Melatonin Secretion in Man

Marijuana can be Anti-Addictive

Melatonin and Dreams

Taken from: MELATONIN: Your Body's Natural Wonder Drug,

Russel J. Reiter, Ph.D., Jo Robinson;©1995 Bantam Books:198-199

Of all the known ways to stimulate melatonin production, none is more dramatic than smoking marijuana. Marijuana stimulates production of a prostaglandin called PGE2, which may relate to its ability to stimulate melatonin production. Italian researchers discovered that when eight men smoked a cigarette containing the active ingredient in marijuana, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), they had dramatically higher melatonin levels twenty minutes later. After two hours, their melatonin levels were 4,000 percent higher than at baseline!(11)

The fact that smoking marijuana is accompanied by a dramatic increase in melatonin production may explain some of the drug's positive effects. A 1995 article in The Journal of the American Medical Association reported that the hallucinogen is being used to counteract the toxicity of chemotherapy, treat migraines, reduce intraocular pressure, minimize pain, treat menstrual cramps, and moderate wasting syndrome in AIDS patients.(12) Melatonin has been shown to ameliorate each and every one of these conditions.

Smoking marijuana as a vehicle to increase melatonin production, however, may not be a good idea. The increase is so marked that it is not likely to be beneficial, especially if one smokes marijuana during the daytime, when melatonin levels are normally so low that they are just above the level of detection. Causing such a dramatic surge in melatonin levels in the daytime could phase-shift your circadian rhythms or interfere with your health in other as yet unknown ways.

References

11. Lissoni, P., Resentini, M., and Fraschini, F. "Effects of Tetrahydrocannabinol on Melatonin Secretion in Man." Hormone and Metabolic Research 1986; 77-78. At baseline, the mean value of their melatonin levels was 21.3 pg/ml. Two hours later, it was 904 pg/ml.

12. Grinspoon, L., and Bakaler, J.B. "Marihuana as Medicine." Joural of the American Medical Association 1995; 273(23): 1875-76.

Back to Top | Next Page