• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Morals [regarding cannabis use]

Kanaba said:
everyone here has a lot to learn from the Rastas. im surprised nobody's mentioned them, as this deals with weed and spirituality... shit, they smoke it to meditate and get closer to jah (god)... cant be all that bad spiritually! Take one from the rastas yall... its okay to smoke a little doob, god put it here for you to enjoy, so why not use it? I and I Jah bless, Rastafari ova all livin' tings... peace

I totally agree with you kanaba! Jah Live!
I love to smoke my herb in a meditating and spiritual way ... makes me feel better and makes me think about stuff that i never think of sober....
Rastafari isnt only a religion... its a positive way of life, rastafari makes u see god with ur own eyes and gets me free!
Spread the rastaman chant in this dark world!

For all of you that dont have a problem with taking drugs, and believe it is your choice:

Would you deserve punishment for any immoral or wrong acts you have done under the influence of drugs? Does say... a smack junkie need to be punished for all his crimes?

Im not sure what I believe but I do know that you cant have it both ways.

Btw, for those of you who seem to like this Christian bashing, can you please get your facts correct before you state (incorrectly) what the bibles supposedly tells us, what Christians believe, or what Gods message is.

My guess is that as long as our use dosent affect ourselves or others, then its ok.

Surely, one of the central tennents of all the major faiths is that you should respect your fellow man (or woman - a lot of religions have moments of being very un-PC), and treat them as you would a friend, with respect and dignity. They're all about forming self help groups that promote a way of living that treats everybody as important and valuble, the way that you live setting an example of those beliefs in action.

I can see no way in which the use of cannabis (notice use, not abuse) is in conflict with any of those core beliefs; if anything, cannabis makes you more sensetive to the feelings of others, therefore making you better able to anticipate anothers needs, both physically and psychologically.

The only reason people would be made to feel guilt, shame or a whole range of negative emotions, would be if the core beliefs had been selectively interpreted, as a way of wielding power and social control. It's not the religion that's at fault, it's manipulative people who use the belief system to get people to carry out their will and desires, not any higher being's. Through time, these means of social manipulation become so entwined with the spiritual message that a lot of people have difficulty separating the two.

A good example is the religious background I was brought up in, and the way it manipulated people to it's own ends, masquarading as the will of god; namely the Roman Catholic church. It makes people believe that they are eternally guilty, because anything that is enjoyable is a corruption of christian ethics.

BOLLOCKS

People are encouraged to go to priests for confession so that they will become psychologically conditioned so that they can't continue without the "help" of the church. In terms of Jesus's message about how to live, it's all about helping those around you. The Catholic church makes people believe that they are the agents through which what constitutes helping people can be defined. We're not stupid, we dont need organized religions to do good, and from the standpoint of christianity's central message, what is bad about smoking cannabis? If anything, it brings people together and is an embodiment of the helping/sharing ethic (passing a spliff around). What's so different about that compared with sharing wine? The beliefs do warn against over-indulgence (of anything), as then you just become a taker of help, rather than a giver. The best example of what the christian ethic in action is,would be groups like the quakers, where no one person becomes the specially appointed communication line to god (so no-one can start to manipulate the collective group conciousness. As well as being pacifists, I'm yet to meet a quaker who would condemn a person for using cannabis in a non-abusive way.

Doing good, is doing good, whether or not it is sanctioned by a religious group, and wrongdoing is the same. Cannabis use falls into neither of those two definitions, but as a rule, the people I've known who use cannabis are more likely to have a social concience, and to lean towards the doing good group.

Try comparing the social control techniques practised by religious groups with those of a totalitarian state, such as in Orwell's 1984. Not much difference eh?

So, finally... If someone starts telling you that you should feel guilty for using cannabis, ask them why, and keep asking until it can be referred to the moral framework of the religion, not just because some bloated egomaniac plotted and conspired their way to the top position, then started issuing edicts of their own (the Borgia popes, anyone?). I bet they can't, at which point their arguement collapses, and you start skinning up!

Sorry, couldn't help being flippant at the end!

chuuzetsu said:
... So whenever you put any chemical in your body you are harming the temple.

So whenever you eat sugar (a chemical) you are harming your "temple"? That doesn't make sense. Everything you consume is a chemical, whether it is MDMA, cannabis or proteins from a steak. Eating McDonalds isn't healthy either, thereby you are harming your "temple", is McDonalds banned by god too?

Eating McDonalds isn't healthy either, thereby you are harming your "temple", is McDonalds banned by god too?

It fuckin' should be!

Bananeter said:
It is proved that Jesus used cannabis oil..
what a patently absurd suggestion, it's only speculation that the son of god (if god exists blahblah e.t.c) even existed

i don't really feel any moral dilemas about ANY drug use. I definatly don't buy into the present day religious interpretations of the bible and what they say on drugs anyway. Marijuana, mushrooms, morning glory, ayahuasca (or whatever the fuck), etc etc have been used for thousands of years for religious purposes. Our shit today is so far off from having any moral correctness it's laughable.

i really really want to get this book called "sex drugs violence and the bible" it seems realllllly interesting

http://www.gnostics.com/review.sdvb.html

I don't feel any guilt or moral wrong doing in regards to my usage, as long as I keep it under control.
The main arguments people use are
The Law. - Marijuana and other drug laws are based on racism and prejudice, not fact.
Religion - Your religion has no hold over me nor should it. If you are Christian your own holy book has passages supporting it's use.

It's a personal choice and no one else's business but mine.

omen_owen said:
what a patently absurd suggestion, it's only speculation that the son of god (if god exists blahblah e.t.c) even existed

Well the existence of a prophet name Jesus has been recorded in numerous historical documents, including an interesting letter from Pontius Pilate, the Governor of Judea to The Emperor Augustus concerning the trial and execution of a local holy man, and the effect it would have on the local political climate. There are also records in the Islamic faith (possibly Hindu also) of a great prophet from the Judaeic regions of the name Jesu, who lived out the rest of his life teaching in the northern part of India.

As far as I know, the dispute is (and has never been) concerning Jesus existence. The dispute is whether he is the messiah/son of God. So in theory, there is nothing absurd in suggesting that a man called Jesus, living in Judea in the first century CE, used cannabis oils in one way or another.

Sorry about the lack of links to sources, I'll dig some out when I'm not supposed to be working :D.

I think it's funny that he's an ex-Jahova's Witness. I give him less credibility.

as long as my use isnt hurting anyone else i see it as a victimless crime, if no1 is hurt then i dont feel it is immoral

Well I am a christian and I DO smoke weed. and yes it does say that your body is a temple, but hey we are sinful and we don't know better so put whatever you want in your body. I don't care and if you do feel guilty about doing something then dont do it. By the way look at all these christians smoking cigarettes, if they say its bad to smoke weed then it is bad to smoke cigarettes. My church keeps telling us not to smoke weed cause its a "sin" but what about cigarettes, its just the same, you are putting something in your body, and then what about perscription drugs. They have a ton of chemicals and that in the pills so just forget about what he says and enjoy your smokes;)

well SlayerFairy I never read in qur-an or bible that its a sin or wuteva to smoke crack or plug xtc.... so I dont feel guilty........ZUHAHAHA

Fucking religions, they're all a control mechanism for regulating people's behaviour to a percieved moral norm. FUCK THAT.

Marijuana is only illegal in most of the world due to the damn christian fundamentalists in the USA as well as the jerkwads like William Randolph Hearst.

Screw religion, its my body and I'll do what I want with it. But yeah, christian fundamentalists who are against drugs are the biggest hypocrites around given the bible practically endorses it. But then again, they do pretty well at disobeying most of the 10 commandments as well so its not exactly surprising.

Yeah, the Qur-an states that you shouldn't drink alcohol, but given that the Sufis were founded on the tradition of eating cannabis, and that hash has a substantial place in arabic history, I'd say that doesn't necessarily extend to other drugs. ;)

-plaz out-

morals are a human creation... those who impose religious doctrine create them..

empancipate yourself from such concerns! smoke a big... fucking... joint...

The Purpose of Religion is: "Find God, and then get close to Him. This relationship will make the rest of Life easier."

The First Miracle Jesus performed was: Turn Water into Wine. It surely wasn't alcohol-free, because the Taster said: This is good stuff.

I have Drugs I use to help me Remember that God exists, and to FEEL it.

I am using Drugs for a Noble purpose . . . a Spiritual purpose.

Certainly, I do not spend all of my High times in this mode. A few minutes, every once in a while, is more-than-enough.

Then, the rest of the time I am more eager about Life, happy about my Life. This is also a very Spiritual time.

Look at the people who do not take Drugs. How close can THEY get to God? As a rule, I would say, not as close as a person who is using the Power of a favorite Drug to get close. I think that those no-druggies are jealous of the FUN Life I am having. But that is for them to deal with.

Drugs can (and do) bring people into the Spiritual realm. Good for us.

Christians say: "The body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit." So, if it is, I am burning Incense for God.

Smoking marijuana isn't a matter of morals, it's a matter of stigma.

The only reason that some groups feel marijuana is a horrible, gateway drug which leads people down the path of corruption is because the war on drugs has given it such a sterotype.

If you really enjoy smoking marijuana and do it responsibly without negatively affecting other people, keep on smoking. Make your own decisions! :) Advice is good, but it's just that... advice.

HomeWrecker said:
Some would claim he was a habitual drunkard. Personally I just claim he was a bit of an asshole.

Whether you believe He was the Son Of God or not, Jesus Christ was the greatest moral philospher ever. To claim he was an asshole is a bit off.