• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Reduced cortical gray matter density in human MDMA (Ecstasy) users: a

Why even conduct a study when the procedure is obviously so tainted that no conclusion can even be reached? Yes, they at least admit that they don't know what causes the reduction in grey matter, but I could have told you that from the very beginning.

Chill people

I'd recommend tanking it easy while reading any scientific report.
The human mind is so complex that science (let alone neuroscience) is at the verge of even beginning to understand the bio- and psychodynamics of it all, let alone the cause and effect of any changes the brain undergoes during life, after depression, during pain and while euphoric. Or anything off-baseline if you like it.
So, even if someone says: "Hey, I have been able to find a statistically significant difference between the brains of people who drive fast and people who drive slow on a freeway." it doesn't mean the fast drivers are more capable than the slow drivers in driving a car.
They just drive slower. Many reasons may exist for why they do. Unconsciously, there may be hundreds.

An extremely talented pianoplayer may thrill an audience, but often ends up killing himself.
Who has the answer to what mdma may do to his life? Only he.
And if I start comparing his brain density as defined in neurofiring occurence to someone who is happy and living a long life, I may not find a difference.

I doubt whether stuff like this will be ever grasped by science.

But anyway, the more we know, the better right?

P.s., I second the other respondents on the speech issue.
But then again, who knows exactly why that happens?
And still, we can work on changing that right?

And remember, the most respected brain surgeon ever was and is a dyslectic.
Funny huh?

Peace.

Potential explanations for our results including pre-existing brain differences predisposing to MDMA polydrug use, direct MDMA and polydrug toxicity, indirect changes due to MDMA and polydrug toxicity, or combinations of all these factors.

[...]

This study does not permit us to conclude that this particular cohort of MDMA users suffered serotonin axon loss....

An interesting study, and very responsibly analyzed by it's authors. It raises some interesting questions, particularly about what effect if any the temporary drop in serotonin levels and receptor downregulation following MDMA exposure might have on overall brain health. Pre-existing population differences are a very viable explanation for the differences, but I'd still file this one under 'one more reason to practice moderation.'

Overall, an unusually high quality piece of work in the field.

Trivia: Nerve cells can come with or without a layer of fatty insulation on them. Cells with this insulation look white, cells without it look gray. The brain is mostly the latter type.