• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

The Ultimate Cannabis Grading Scale

frizzantik

Bluelight Crew
The Ultimate Cannabis Grading Scale shall consist of two ratings: a letter rating from A to F and a number rating from 1 to 6. The letter rating is used to describe the objective physical characteristics of the cannbis to be rated, while the number is a subjective rating of its effects.

Please use the following scale as a guideline when determining the letter rating:

A - green, lots of trichomes. no seeds, excellent taste/smell/burn. This is connoisseur type stuff.

B - green with very few seeds, if any. ok taste/smell. decent amount of trichomes

C - dark green buds with very few seeds (if any) and small stems. tastes/smells bad and is all dried out.. possibly few trichomes

D - dark green seedy stemmy buds.

E - green/brown seedy stemmy nasty buds

F - dirt brown seedy stemmy nasty powder

The number rating is a scale from one to six, with one being the best and 6 being the worst. Only really good cannabis should get a number score of 1, and only really poor cannabis should get a 6.

Cannabis with a rating of A1 is excellent cannabis, while F6 is really bad cannabis.

Please try to use this scale when referring to the quality of pot in Cannabis Discussion to avoid the confusion common with slang terms.

Last edited:
If the bud had any seeds I wouldn't give it a B. Unless we are talking ounces at a time, then a few would just be natural. B-

I have smoked absolutely killer weed that had seeds in it - just because a single hermie got left a bit late and a few buds were fertilized doesn't mean there will be ANY perceptable difference to the high.

The only problem comes if the whole plant is totally fertilized and full of seeds - because it takes a lot of energy for the plant to produce seed pods - energy that would otherwise go into the growth of trichomes and such.

So - basically - there is quite a small difference (potceny and taste wise) between 100% sensimillia and weed with just a couple of seeds here and there.

--- G.

This scale actually makes a hell of a lot of sense.

The only thing I think it lacks in is comparing high grade.

Even throughout the A1 category there is a lot of variance: some shit just blows up ur dome, some shit creeps and creeps, sometimes it's smooth and tasty, sometimes harsh and strong. Basically the grading scale is great to distinguish the major categories tho.

Anyways, I think the only way to fully communicate about the quality is to just be knowledgable about the herb: smell it, look at it, break it apart a bit, and of course, SMOKE IT!

Blessings

x420 said:
This scale actually makes a hell of a lot of sense.

The only thing I think it lacks in is comparing high grade.

Even throughout the A1 category there is a lot of variance: some shit just blows up ur dome, some shit creeps and creeps, sometimes it's smooth and tasty, sometimes harsh and strong. Basically the grading scale is great to distinguish the major categories tho.

Anyways, I think the only way to fully communicate about the quality is to just be knowledgable about the herb: smell it, look at it, break it apart a bit, and of course, SMOKE IT!

Blessings

The number scale is used for the high.. all of the effects you described are in the 1-3 category in my opinion. it's not meant to be definiative , just a rough guide to describe the cannabis in question

Too bad that so far since the system came into effect - it seems everyone has access to A1 - the best weed conceivable by the human mind 8)

--- G.

well i've actually been getting some D-5 shit(thats D minus). I dont know why but when you stop for awhile and some of your friends stop/leave and you dont talk to certain people anymore you cant get decent stuff.
I'm disapointed in myself that i even got it, i'd rather save my money. I mean sure i got a lot for the price but when half of it is seeds and it smells like.. weird smelling stuff that doesnt smell like weed, then its not worth it.

I'll get back to you guys when i get some A1

The point I'm kind of trying to make is that if anyone were to encounter A1 - that should warrant not only a thread but probably a book and a news story ;)

I am of the oppinion that if we grade any really good weed - or even the best weed we ever personally smoked - as being A1... well... we kind of don't leave much room for improvement in the future, do we?

I mean - it's always possible to get a littlebit better, so I would be extremely reluctant to use the number 1 over anything I have smoked - even in Amsterdam. Sure - one runs into some really tasty and nice smelling weed that deserves an A - but I think 1 should probably be reserved for some absolutely mindblowing insanity smoke =D

Just my humble oppinion on the current use of the scale ;)

--- G.

hehe i tend to agree with your assesment ML.. one problem is that if you have only had access to really bad mexican brick weed, any time you see some hydroponic light green nugs you'll think they're A1

we should set up a system whereby people send us their dank and we'll be the official raters =D that way we can insure a consistant rating hehehe

Last edited:
lol - I'll be part of that testing group =D

"Yeah, it's dank, dude, like A2, but man, thus dude in Michigan sent me some FUCKED up shit the other day that just has this beat hands down. Also, he sent me a pound. Send me a pound. I'll rate it A1." =D

--- G.

Don't know if this is against the rules here, but can we take pictures of the weed we get and then people can rate the pics?

Just a suggestion. Sorry, if I'm breaking any rules. I will honestly say I didn't read the rules.

But it's a nice suggestion. Then you would be able to rate pics and then you would actually see what it looks like...

we could only really rate the letter rating but that kinda sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll start a thread or something on it once i work out the kinks

and read the rules!! hehe

maybe ML that would be to tricky and no one would actuly do it... possibly this for the best shit you have ever smoked you right A1* - and give a good description, beacuse IMO most of the weed i had get my hands on is A1, super high, super trichrome, etc. UK maybe, area thing maybe? but i cant see anything gettin MUCH better than the stuff we get.

The color rating is sort of blah? Without choosing a more intelligent word for blah...

You can raise or lower the nitrogen level you grow the bud in and it will change the color...I've seen pure red leaves and purple buds just because it was super nitrogen enriched...

But hey, I don't know....

Well, colour is part of appearance , and that part of the rating has nothing to do with quality - only appearance and aroma. So even if it is easy to trick a plant to produce pretty buds - that still counts as pretty buds (but not necessarily potent - hence the two part system) :)

--- G.

im still confused, is the color supposed to have any effect on the rating? There are many types of weed that have different colors and the same potency... how much difference can there be between A1 and F1 strains, just because the weed contains more seeds does not necessarily mean it is less potent.

The entire idea of the system is that just because weed contains more seeds or looks different it's not necessarily less potent. :)

The letter refers ONLY to appearance, taste and odour. F1 weed would be just as potent as A1 weed - but it would look, smell and taste like total crap while A1 would be a beautiful multi-coloured sweetsmelling seedless bud :)

Similarly, a A3 would be beautiful bud with fantastic taste and smell that doesn't get you as high as you'd expect.

--- G.