• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

lungs damaged from meth?

in regards to blood pressure, on supermeth, ive registered 190/130 and somewhere around 150bpm and nothings exploded yet

that meth was railed though

moe - pushing the boundaries of his circulatory system

well i think i have fully recovered from whateva it was. there is only very occasional pain now and i dont have any problem catching my breath (mind yoy i couldnt run for weeks). The doctors that i saw all seemed to think that it was just anxiety caused by the meth, but i dont agree. Anyway thankyou to all who replied, especially superbabydoc for your research.

Stay Safe.

I'm still convinced it is anxiety, only because I had such a similar experience. Anyhow, I thought I'd let you know that my doctor gave me 30 xanax to help with my breathing. (ding ding ding)

Tripstacy said:
Not sure of an exact medicle term, I beliveve it's a NumoThorax? (sp?)
or Neuro Thorax, (Sorry Brain Fade)

Bascially an air bubble forms in between the lining of the lung and the thoraxics or breast plate, making it really hurt when you breathe.

I have had it twice before, It once lasted 3 days, and i was getting worried,
however, it went away by itself...

My friend also had it once, and required to vist Accident and Emergency,
X-Rays were taken and the bubble had to be popped by inserting a needle through the chest plate. (Cool Huh?)

Most common in thin males around 15 > 25

You shouldn't really be surprised, Speed or Amphetamine is one of the worst drugs for the physical body, and side effects are common...

I'll guess that it does have something to with smoking!!!!
However both times i had it, i hat EATEN speed, and smoked large number of cones. Same with my friend.

So it's not in the smoking of speed, but it's related to breathing, possibly the levels of nitrate in your oxygen and lungs..... But thats a guess...

It kept me away from taking speed, and taking large amounts of pot,
together for around 5 years, however, have not a problem in quite some time.

If it happens again badly, do go to the hosipital and do tell them it's speed.
Most "smart" doctors are aware of such a problem.

Hope it helps!

i get this sharp pain around that area, which had REALLY hurt, like a splinter of bone piecy something, or a shard of glass. it fuckign KAINES!, the way i get rid of it was by takin ong slow long deep breathes - sharp breathes made it hurt and i cudnt breathe in.

n e 1 know if this is the same, im 16, and weigh 75 kg, never done speed, and had symtoms before i tried E - i do smoke ALOT.

I the only things I have ever smoked are tobacco, weed, hash, DPT, and Salvia. I've never been a regular smoker of a substance such as meth, I just smoke a lot of weed, and I smoke Marlboro Reds.

I get searing pain in my lungs sometimes during periods where I've been smoking a lot of cigs/weed like over a weekend, or anything like that. Sucks, yeah but it always goes away on it's own. My lungs are pretty sensitive to smoking stuff, and just being a big pothead really fucks my lungs up. LoL :)

looks like pneumothorax...go get a god damn chest x-ray, if you're short of breath after little exertion, cant walk very far without pain....they diagnosed mine as ashtma first too...till i told them i knew what i had and gave me a chest x-ray. make sure you get an x-ray, because having a tube in your chest draining air out isnt very fun.

May be somewhat outdated, but I thought I would reply to this since I have had a similar experience.

I had been smoking meth and I noticed over a few hours a slight chest pain, so I naturally stopped. I didn't know what was wrong, but didn't want to cause anyone alarm so I kept quiet about it for about a day, but at one point I stood up and felt dizzy, lightheaded, and the chest pain had grown in severity. So, in the "better to be safe than sorry" philosophy, I took a trip to the ER. During my wait the chest pain was getting worse and worse and I was getting shooting pains down my left arm (and it was my left lung/side of chest which was experiencing the pain) and some tingling.

I was completely honest at the hospital and told them I had been smoking meth. They gave me some IV pain killers, some Ativan, and then did some blood work and chest X-rays.

The eventual diagnoses: pleurisy/pleuritis. I don't know if that was accurate or not, but I later researched the symptoms and causes and it seemed to fit or at least be possible. Basically, your lungs have an inner and an outer lining and to keep them from rubbing together there is a thin layer of fluid they float on. Pleurisy or pleuritis is when the lining becomes inflamed and thus rubs together, which can be very painful. It can be caused by bacterial infection, viral infection, lung cancer, or irritation of the lung. If it were bacterial infection I would've been given anti-biotics and lung cancer would've been detected, so he explained that the speed smoke my have irritated my lungs or something in the speed I smoked (an adulterant) may have caused inflammation or damage resulting in this condition.

I was NOT prepared for the pain to follow. I was prescribed Motrin, and Motrin and any other normal pain killer did NOTHING to stop the pain. For almost 2 weeks I experienced INTENSE and CONSTANT pain in my chest and lung (like a stabbing/poking pain in my left lung), sharp shooting pains down my left arm, and there were times when the tingling sensation would cover the entire left side of my body. I would also experience what almost felt like a Charlie horse on the back of my left knee quite frequently. Breathing hurt and it was difficult to sleep.

At one point I almost returned to the ER because I honestly thought I was having a heart attack, possibly due to my weakened lung not providing sufficient oxygen to my heart (in fact, I presumed much of the pain and sensation I was experiencing was due to decreased oxygen flow to my body). I was sweating, dizzy, and my heart rate had increased, but within about ten minutes everything was back to normal.

It took a good 2 weeks before the pain subsided and was more like an annoyance or uncomfortable-ness (and the doctor told me it could last up to 2 weeks). About a week after that I had returned to normal.

I don't know if what you experienced was indeed pleurisy, but it is a possibility. WebMD has a good reference on the condition, which is a temporary thing in most cases, but can damage your lung. It certainly made me think twice about smoking speed again, for fear of repeating what had to have been the most painful experience of my life. While I don't necessarily think it was from irritation from the speed, I do think it had something to do with what was IN the speed (something "bad" was in the speed I smoked). I could be wrong.

Hope this helped somewhat!

Peace

Perhaps tell the people at the hospital what the cause was? Or did I just miss something and point out something you've already done. 8(

Just another KID who was doing drugs he's not familiar with and didn't care for the effects. If your gonna fuck with hard drugs at least try to do some thinking before hand. Why would u think that the entire hit was just for u anyway? You said u had amphetimane experience, then why would u do all of that at once? I wouldn't be surprised at all if ur lungs have been ripped another asshole from smoking meth.

^^^
i have had extensive use of speed in my youngr yaers dude. i dont particularly appreciate that statment at all. i know what speed can do, but this binge i had just fucked me up. i had been given as much info as possible as my mates could give me at the time, and i researched quite hard to find what my symptoms could be. In other words, keep your statements to yourself unless u know the facts

AtxBigBallin said:
Just another KID who was doing drugs he's not familiar with and didn't care for the effects. If your gonna fuck with hard drugs at least try to do some thinking before hand. Why would u think that the entire hit was just for u anyway? You said u had amphetimane experience, then why would u do all of that at once? I wouldn't be surprised at all if ur lungs have been ripped another asshole from smoking meth.

These sorts of comments are not appropriate in Health Q & A. This is a serious forum where people come for advice and support for various health related issues.

There's no place for ridiculing or abusing people for posting their legitimate health related concerns. This sort of behaviour can stop people from posting openly about their situation, and creates barriers to accessing help.

I'm sure we've all done reckless things at one point (I know I have), so cut this poster some slack.

Carry on.

Just to bring this topic alive, I've recently experienced all the symptoms described above. This is why I came looking here.

I've recently started noticing that when I am on meth and a couple of day after I get this shortness of breath sensation. It can be described as sometimes having to make every breath a deep one as if a short on is not enough, or other times a feeling like you need a deep breath but you just can't get it. No with this come chest pains when you beathe in. I've had a number of theories.

I would really appreciate if people revisited this thread and gave their opinions.

Theory 1.
The breathing is purely phsyco-sematic and is due to exiety. I have partially fixed and solved this problem by concentrating on taking specific normal little breaths when I feel like I am not getting enough oxygen. after about 5 breaths like that you realise that you are fine, you are not passing out. ie. you chill out and beat this anxiety attack. I've had anumber of other theories such as my lungs are fucked from meth and alviolae are not absorbing oxygen properly (sound like meth psycosis doesn't it?:). I am 99% its anxiety. Try it next time, just chill and keep taking normal breaths - you realise that you don't actually NEED to breathe deeper. This way also when you need to yawn to get a satisfying intake of oxygen, you can do it properly because you haven't wasted all your deep breaths on a poxy anxiety attack.

Theory 2.
The chest pains are partially due to beathing too deep and irregularly during anxiety attacks, or as a direct result of anxiety attack.

Theory 3.
It not always the left chest that hurts and it usually only hurts when you breathe in. This rules out a problem with the heart doesn't it?

Theory 4.
A lot of the times when I smoke meth I tend to sit on one spot and dribble shit. I often find that when I move, my whole body is kind of sore and fucked up. Could the chest pains be related to this too?

Theory 4.
Sometimes I get a funny tingling in hands - but not always in my left. It almost feels like fast throbbing. At times the whole body does this. But goes away after 5 - 10 minutes. Two weekends ago I got this, but after a subsequent cold shiver, the sensation disappeared, as if the shiver flushed it out of me. So another words whatever that sensation was, another more powerful sensation kind of snapped me out of it. Surelly, if the sensation was a sign of something gone really bad, it wouldn't go away just like that would it?

In conclusion, I've been taking meth (high quality - about 2 points) every weekend. Mostly because most of the above symptoms disappear by the next weekend. I haven't taken meth last weekend to ensure all symptoms are gone, but I might this coming weekend, so I'll report the experience.

P.s. Reading other peoples' posts and writing this made my breathing funny again and a slight discomfort in left chest. I think I can safelly put most of the things described above to panic/anxiety attacks or muscular pain resulting from the physical stress/discomfort you put on your body while on meth.

i have tried meth again for the first time since this experience, and can safely say i had a very pleasant time this time. But i did notice some shortness of breathe, but nothing like my last time. What you say above is all i can really put it down to.

Does anyone know what i could take to possibly reduce these efects?

stop taking meth!!!???
Sorry just kidding:)
what runner2 spoke about is exactly what i used to get when I smoked meth...I actually had some ice for the first time in months, a wk and a half ago and experienced it slightly but I think I was a bit anxious about doing it again after so long.