• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

5-HTP and Alcohol

Thats what I figured too Digital Analog. Not fun if you can't figure out why its happening and continue taking it. I never thought that a supplement sold everywhere could be dangerous enough to cause serotonin syndrome, but it got my ass.

I used to take 900mg of St Johns Wort and 100-200mg of 5-HTP before i would go out drinking and i always felt fine... It seemed to make me more drunk, but that is never a bad thing

It probly depends on the person... I'f you've never mixed the 2 before, i would avoid trying it because you never know how it will react

5 htp

i drink heavily and 5-htp takes away the addiction pangs.it stops me having panic attacks on a morning and i feel like im on the back of a rocket most of the time and thats just on 100mg a day.i have had no interactions after 4 weeks and am telling all my mates about this wonder supplement.I started taking it because i split with my GF and was really sad.5-htp is prescribed for O>C>D.(OBSESSIVE COMPUSIVE DISORDER)Which is really what love sickness is. it lifted me and gave me high spirits.pulled me out of a rut and got my eating patterns on track again.and i drink 5 days out of 7 but im so happy i cant stop going out for a good laugh.

listen to me

i made a login and password so i could post this topic!

i took 100mg of 5-htp 2 hours before i drank beer all night! i didnt feel anything wrong or different. my friends were telling me i was funnier than i am normally! i dont suffer from panic attack or take medicine for anxiety or mood stabilizers. i have 5-htp on hand but i rarely take it. once or twice a year. the 5-htp bottle label doesnt say to not take it with alcohol.

bottom line, every person reacts differently to supplements and drugs, so take at your own risk.

:)

@jujufish: he..he me too.

just try this pill yesterday, first drink 200mg, after 3 hours, going out and drinking beer, funny think I don't feel drunk, only a little bit maybe, and even though the music is pretty loud, i feel normal.

after this I go home, and have wonderfull sleep, and wake up feeling well (usually after drinking, in the morning, I will feel headache), only afterwards, around noon I feel kinda dizzy, and have a nice sleep again.

overall all I recomend this to reduce hangover in the morning, and also to make you calmer.

I notice that I wont be the first person bumping this many year old thread, but I was googling to see if anyone had the experience I had when I mixed the two and I thought it may be important to add to this thread.

Off and on throughout my life I've been a heavy drinker, 14-24 beers a day, sometimes a 30 pack, for weeks or months then detoxing somewhere and drying up for a few weeks or months and back and forth.

Well anyway, I was sober for 5 weeks when I began taking 5-HTP 200mg time released from Natrol for depression and a couple days after I just gave in and started drinking. I got to only 10 beers and I was pouring greasy sweat, agitated, out of control and had diarrhea, shakes, rapid heart beat and had to go to the hospital. 5-HTP was all that was in my body besides food and 10 beers in maybe less than 2 hours.

I'd say they definitely don't mix.

How weird. I've got a UK supplement shop's own brand bottle of 5-HTP here and there's nothing on the label about alcohol. Last night I actually washed some down with red wine, no recognisable ill effects.

Do not mix 5-htp and alcohol

I started to take 5-htp 3 weeks ago (100 mg/day) and noticed that I feel quite weird (almost high) and not very well if I drink the same day, as soon as I start to drink.
I am usually quite a heavy drinker and never feel like that. I took the 5-htp pill more than 7 hours before drinking.
Also I felt exhausted the following mornings

I experienced that 3 times sofar so now I only take 5-htp the days I am sure I won't be drinking.

Fuckin hell, didn't know this...went to a friends house they were drinking beer, washed down 100mgs WITH A BEER, had about ten more bottles and a gram of bolivian marching powder, got a bit frazzled maybe that explains a lot?

What about other drugs? GBL/GHB, opiates?

Awhile back SWIM did like 50mg and a dose of GBL and he felt very depressed, was almost crying. Was depressed about life and felt myself thinking about the "old days" and how good they were.

Normal kinda stuff?

Seems extremely unlikely, I'm sceptical due to your conflation of panic attacks and seizures, I have enough professional experience dealing with both to know that describing a heavy panic attack as a seizure might fit your supposed experiencing both. There probably are ways you can abuse 5-HTP (which would take an excessive dose alongside an SSRI for example) that could cause serotonin syndrome but from a biochemistry perspective there really isn't any harmful interaction between the two chemicals, the dopamine boost caused by alcohol is very short lived and in fact results in significant depletion which actually gives 5-HTP some hangover relieving properties, particularly in frequent drinkers who tend to have much lower capacity for serotonin production as a result of the repeated process of eventual depletion.