Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Huge Drug Bust Reveals New Drug-Dealer Tactic

Albert Walker

Bluelighter
Huge Drug Bust Reveals New Drug-Dealer Tactic
Thousands Of Pounds Of Pot Seized In San Diego

POSTED: 11:37 a.m. PDT September 25, 2003
UPDATED: 11:52 a.m. PDT September 25, 2003

SAN DIEGO -- A multiagency task force gathered Thursday to announce a huge drug bust and revealed a new weapon in the arsenal of drug dealers.

Details about the drug seizure were revealed early in the day by officials from the Drug Enforcement Agency, National City police, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department and several other agencies.

Officials said that they were able to seize more than 3 tons of marijuana on Tuesday at a residence on the 3900 block of Marine View, which is on the south side of San Diego, just about a block away from National City.

The marijuana was coated in a liquid that was capable of preventing drug-sniffing dogs from detecting the odor of the marijuana. Authorities are still trying to determine what the liquid was.

Hundreds of individually wrapped packages of pot that were brought to the news conference in the back of a U-Haul truck were displayed by officers.

According to DEA agents, the drugs are tied to Ismael Zambada Garcia, who is otherwise known as El Mayo. He's one of Mexico's top five drug traffickers. He apparently traffics in cocaine, marijuana, and methamphetamine, and he is under indictment in the United States and believed to be hiding in Mexico.

Arrested on Thursday was Dolores Lauren Jasso, 29, who was apparently taken into custody for possession with intent to distribute narcotics.

The interagency investigation began in June of this year in the Tucson, Ariz. district office of the DEA. Investigators followed the trail into San Diego, where the bust was made Tuesday.

Officials said that they were continuing their investigation.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/2511388/detail.html

Now that there is a chemical that can prevent drug sniffing dogs from smelling marijuana, I wonder what this will do to the smuggling industry. I forsee a whole bunch of drugs to be getting smuggled in in the upcoming months before the feds find a way around this.

I am also curious if this works for other drugs or just marijuana.

Does anyone know what this liquid is?

The question is if the liquid is actually safe or not.. at least that's the first question that popped into my mind.

i'm sure it won't take long to train teh dogs to search for whatever this substance is

very correct, now that they have a sample of the liquid, they can trian the dogs to find it. obviously if the dogs find that substance, there must be something fishy going on. btw, if it was crisco or a relative, they should have been able to detect that. this has to be something new to the Feds and the DEA if they could not guess at what it was. but wow, tons of marijuana.

Im sure they've figured out what it is, they've got access to millions of dollars of analytical equipment. However they have no reason not to lie to the media so everybody doesn't start using it!

Some chemicals can mask other smells. Think of what it's like if you get a strong whiff or petroleum gasoline or xylene, then try to smell something else. Chances are it'll still smell like the petrol/xylene. I'm not sure what they were using here, but if it's able to mask a smell without suspicion, I'll bet there's chemists working hard to figure out other variations on this theme.

i had read an interiew with a old drug trafficker that said he used to mask the lbs. of marajuana he would bring into Miami from police dogs with a liquid they sell at petshops to prevent dogs from smellin female dogs letting off heat.

Said he would package, wrap,and then smear/spray this over to prevent dogs from smelling it out, he also mentioned having the weed in u-haul trucks that would heat up with the southern weather and let off the weed aroma , he'd crack open boxes worth of pineapples to counteract it.

Albert Walker said:
Now that there is a chemical that can prevent drug sniffing dogs from smelling marijuana, I wonder what this will do to the smuggling industry. I forsee a whole bunch of drugs to be getting smuggled in in the upcoming months before the feds find a way around this.

I am also curious if this works for other drugs or just marijuana.

Does anyone know what this liquid is?

There are LOTS of concoctions for throwing off drug dogs that are tried and true. This is nothing new at all. I first heard about it back around 2000. And I'm sure it was going on YEARS before that.

Not that I know anyone that smuggles pounds of marijuana or kilos of cocaine, but if I did, I would know that they all use a variety of tactics to save them should they be pulled over by K-9 units (which many have).

I won't list these methods because then law enforcement will simply start training dogs to smell the defenses.

Gas, Amonnia ,Bleach Gel, No shit some that straight smeeled like leather, Then the week before it smelled like Febreez.....One Thing To remeber when they are talking bout el Mayo and mexican Weed It usuallr Bricks,compact and and nasty there has been lots of seizures were they have cut into marijuana bricks andhad all kinds of chemicals sometimes it seeps into the bricks and people smoke that shit

Drug dealers use "Secret Lipid" to fool the hounds.

DEA outlaws "Secret Lipid" and teaches hounds to sniff it out.

Clandestine chemists modify molecular structure of "Secret Lipid," thus evading both the law AND the hounds.

Congress passes the "Secret Lipid Analogue Act," making possession or sale of lipids with molecular structures substantially similar to scheduled lipids (or having hound-evading effects similar to outlawed lipids) a crime.

what the hell is wrong with good ol' fashioned vacuum sealing?

Uh, a vacuum seal does do the job. If you vacuum seal drugs and wash the outside of the plastic with soap and water after sealing it, no scent can be detected.

I've held a vaccum sealed bag of nugs before that a friend had, I couldn't smell a thing. You put a little hole in it though, that smell is everywhere. It does work though.

Coolio said:
Uh, a vacuum seal does do the job. If you vacuum seal drugs and wash the outside of the plastic with soap and water after sealing it, no scent can be detected.

By humans... but a dog's sence of smell is like 3000 times + more powerfull.