Info Bluelighting Tips

felix

Bluelight Crew
bluelighttips2am1.jpg

post your tips for n00bs and experienced users alike. :)

DID YOU KNOW...?

that in FIREFOX - as you are typing a message, if you press Ctrl+I it'll magically insert the open & closed italic tags for you to type the italicised words into?

same with Ctrl+B for bold and Ctrl+U for underline.

try it.

Last edited:
DID YOU KNOW...?

that if you click the "Settings" button at the top left of the screen (it's under the Bluelight logo, dummies) it will handily present a list of all the topics that you've previously participated in that have had new replies since your last visit.

It's the first thing I do every time I visit. It's really rather good. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
repliesdm7.png

If you click on the number that is highlighted in orange in the picture above you can see who has replied to that topic and how many times. Kind of useless but you never know.

PinholeStar said:
DID YOU KNOW...?

that if you click the "User CP" button at the top left of the screen (it's under the Bluelight logo, dummies) it will handily present a list of all the topics that you've previously participated in that have had new replies since your last visit.

It's the first thing I do every time I visit. It's really rather good. :)
Wow... I just learnt something. I usually end up typing my username into the search engine and doing it that way... so this is much easier.

However, did you know that in order for your method to work... you must have your default 'thread subscription' turned on?

You can do this via "User CP" -> "Edit Options"

I've switched mine switched to "no email notification" so that I don't get spammed to death, but can still see who's replied to what.

subscriptionseq2.jpg

tambourine-man said:
Wow... I just learnt something. I usually end up typing my username into the search engine and doing it that way... so this is much easier.
lolwut. really?

DID YOU KNOW...?

that on the main forums page (http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/) you can collapse & expand the groups of forums to hide or show the ones you want?

e.g.

forumsaz2.gif

just click on either the wee
cat_top_text_end.gif
or
collapse_thead_collapsed.gif
arrows. :)

you can also 'tidy up/minimalise' the screen when you're viewing a thread by hiding the bits you don't use, e.g. the quick reply box, posting rules, and similar threads sections:

collapserl4.gif

:D

you can change the number of posts you view per page in the user control panel ('user cp'). click on 'edit options' and you'll see this:

usercp01.jpg

adjust the 'number of posts to show per page'. note that, if another user invites you to, say, 'check page 5 of this thread for hot nudes' the hot nudes may not be on your page 5 :)

alasdair

i hereby challenge alasdair (and everyone else of course, but especially alasdair) to come up with a top tip that i haven't heard of.

i'm looking for the really obscure stuff. the good shit. %)

(no, not anything to do with databases, i mean stuff that the ordinary user can benefit from :|)

The Quick Links in the top navigation bar are one of the most (unintentionally) ignored destinations. Here, in the drop down menu, you can find a portal to everything from your private messages to unread posts to who's online (saves you scrolling to the bottom of the main page to use that function) to your warnings.

Give Quick Links some love when you get a chance. :)

quicklinkspb8.gif

DID YOU KNOW...? %)

that you can mark PMs (personal messages) as read or unread?

i only found this out a few weeks ago (and i'm gutted that i had to learn it from finder, of all people, bah! :!). this is a great way of flagging those messages that you want to reply to later, you know? :)

tick the box next to the messages you want to mark as read or unread, then scroll to the bottom and select that option from the drop down menu, then click 'GO!' :D

click for bigger version:

unreadpmsgs3.gif

you will then notice that your amount of unread messages - shown at the top right of every screen - will change.

SWEET %)

you can type [noparse]blah blah blah[/noparse] to show exactly is typed inside the tags... as in, the tag commands don't work.

[b]see?[/b]

Last edited:
i have been formulating this thread in my mind since 2006.

less jibba-jabba, more tips please. :|

i pity the fool that doesn't post more tips.

EDIT: and please note that this thread is not for asking about random support problems - please use the search engine for them. extraneous gibberings will be removed with extreme prejudice.

TIPS TIPS TIPS!!! :D

Last edited:
OK, here's one that might not be obvious to newer users.

the Bluelight software automatically resizes the display of large images to a maximum of 700 pixels high and/or wide. it keeps things laid out in an aesthetically pleasing format. ;)

but DID YOU KNOW that you can click on these images and they will open, full size, in a new tab or window, so you can see them in their full size glory?

tambo, as far as I know, the image does get resized, but the page still stretches as if it were trying to accommodate the full larger image. Or is my Opera working differently?

felix, if we do opt to change/fix the image linking issue, your tip will not necessarily hold true any more. If...

for the purposes of this thread, we'll just stick to relevant and current issues, rather than get bogged down in any vapourware considerations. ;)

tambourine-man said:
That resizing thing doesn't work in Opera though.

Well it "kinda" does - but makes the browser thow a fit & appear unfeasibly ridiculous in certain areas. - Meaning every area except thing you've resized.

TOP TIP - DON'T POST WHEN SMASHED - NOT TECHNICAL - NOT THAT OBSCURE - REMARKABLY DIFFICULT TO ACHEIVE FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME. :)

SA said:
The Quick Links in the top navigation bar are one of the most (unintentionally) ignored destinations. Here, in the drop down menu, you can find a portal to everything from your private messages to unread posts to who's online (saves you scrolling to the bottom of the main page to use that function) to your warnings.

Give Quick Links some love when you get a chance. :)

quicklinkspb8.gif
Just another point leading on from the subscriptions tip... but if you look at your subscriptions via User CP, it only shows the most recent subscriptions - not your entire back history.

However, if you click on the "Quick Links" drop down menu and click "list Subscriptions", it'll show you your entire subscription history - useful for if you get replies to older threads.

the user cp button trick in post #2didnt do shit and ive posted in a few threads... am i stupid?