• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Powerful Painkiller Has Drug Abuse Experts Worried

villian

Bluelighter
Drug companies are working to develop a pure, more powerful version of a highly abused medicine, which has addiction experts worried that it could spur a new wave of abuse.

The new pills contain the highly addictive painkiller hydrocodone, packing up to 10 times the amount of the drug as existing medications such as Vicodin. Four companies have begun patient testing, and one of them -- Zogenix of San Diego -- plans to apply early next year to begin marketing its product, Zohydro.

If approved, it would mark the first time patients could legally buy pure hydrocodone. Existing products combine the drug with nonaddictive painkillers such as acetaminophen.

Critics say they are especially worried about Zohydro, a timed-release drug meant for managing moderate to severe pain, because abusers could crush it to release an intense, immediate high.

"I have a big concern that this could be the next OxyContin," said April Rovero, president of the National Coalition Against Prescription Drug Abuse. "We just don't need this on the market."

OxyContin, introduced in 1995 by Purdue Pharma of Stamford, Connecticut, was designed to manage pain with a formula that dribbled one dose of oxycodone over many hours.

Abusers quickly discovered they could defeat the timed-release feature by crushing the pills. Purdue Pharma changed the formula to make OxyContin more tamper-resistant, but addicts have moved onto generic oxycodone and other drugs that do not have a timed-release feature.

Oxycodone is now the most-abused medicine in the United States, with hydrocodone second, according to the Drug Enforcement Agency. It belongs to family of drugs known as opiates or opioids because they are chemically similar to opium. They include morphine, heroin, oxycodone, codeine, methadone and hydromorphone.

Opiates block pain but also unleash intense feelings of well-being and can create physical dependence. The withdrawal symptoms are also intense, with users complaining of cramps, diarrhea, muddled thinking, nausea and vomiting.

After a while, opiates stop working, forcing users to take stronger doses or to try slightly different chemicals.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/26/new-powerful-painkiller-has-drug-abuse-experts-worried/

How does hydrocodone fare as an IV drug? I wonder if anyone has experience with it through the IV route as it has only been available in compounded meds AFAIK.

APAP-containing Vicodin is a genocidal abomination. Any form of hydrocodone without APAP is an improvement.

who cares lol hydro sucks, even if you CWE like 10 of them

"the new oxycontin" my ass.

Pure Hydrocodone has it's place in the medical world. I welcome this new addition, and look forward to trying it some day in the far out future.

Will try this when possible even though hydros suck..... If only this shit came out when I was a noob with opiates.

I don't understand the hate for Hydro's. You guys just don't like them because you're either stuck on dope, or you're dosing at such a high dose on other Opiates the Hydro's don't do a damn thing. How about you take a break and lower your tolerances for once? Quit being a slave to the drug.

Hydrocodone is equally as enjoyable as any other Opiate. Sure, it's not as potent in euphoria as some others, but it has it's place. Hydrocodone generally sucks because of the APAP, preventing a high enough dose to be achieved without illness. A pure dose would make the high feel much cleaner, maybe even stronger. Don't knock it till you try it.

I don't understand the hate for Hydro's. You guys just don't like them because you're either stuck on dope, or you're dosing at such a high dose on other Opiates the Hydro's don't do a damn thing. How about you take a break and lower your tolerances for once? Quit being a slave to the drug.

Hydrocodone is equally as enjoyable as any other Opiate. Sure, it's not as potent in euphoria as some others, but it has it's place. Hydrocodone generally sucks because of the APAP, preventing a high enough dose to be achieved without illness. A pure dose would make the high feel much cleaner, maybe even stronger. Don't knock it till you try it.

We're all allowed our personal opinion. And just because our tolerance is high where we don't get high or enjoy hydros anymore doesn't mean we're slaves to the dope. I live a fairly normal life but just haven't been able to get high on hydros in awhile. I use to enjoy them but that's just not possible anymore... Especially after you've been addicted to oxycontin. In the end I don't want to waste my time to cwe's on numerous hydros just for a mild high.

I got sober and my tolerance has lowered.... But I enjoy so many more drugs over hydrocodone. I rather be using roxicodone than any hydros or some heroin would be even better. Oxycontins, eh I love them but those are a bitch to get off and it eats a huge ass hole in your pocket when you keep going through OC 80's...

We're all allowed our personal opinion. And just because our tolerance is high where we don't get high or enjoy hydros anymore doesn't mean we're slaves to the dope. I live a fairly normal life but just haven't been able to get high on hydros in awhile. I use to enjoy them but that's just not possible anymore... Especially after you've been addicted to oxycontin. In the end I don't want to waste my time to cwe's on numerous hydros just for a mild high.

I got sober and my tolerance has lowered.... But I enjoy so many more drugs over hydrocodone. I rather be using roxicodone than any hydros or some heroin would be even better. Oxycontins, eh I love them but those are a bitch to get off and it eats a huge ass hole in your pocket when you keep going through OC 80's...

I can understand. But also, I disagree. At my peak of my Opiate addiction, I was dosing 150mg Oxycodone a day just to feel a nice buzz throughout the day. Not even nodding, but a nice buzz. That was a year ago, and I still enjoy Hydro's from time to time. Obviously I'd prefer to chew an Oxycodone 30mg, but hey...we take what we can get.

And my tolerance isn't even an issue, because I can rail and or chew a 30mg Oxy IR and feel a nice buzz, but still want more...so it's not like my tolerance is nonexistent nowadays. I don't even do them often, I've done them maybe 5 or 6 times in the entire year since I quit cold turkey, and always spaced apart.

P.S. I meant no disrespect or insult with my "Slave to the dope" comment. I know it probably came off a little rude. I apologize :)

Yeah, like don't get me wrong hydros are a nice drug but I've gone past the point where I can really say I enjoy them. I hope I can go back to when a few hydros would knock me off my ass but that's not even possible right now, sadly :\ in the end its still all just personal opinion and some prefer oxycodone over hydro and sometimes it the other way around. I still respect hydrocodone but its not my drug of choice, especially not now. Lol when I first got my hand on it though oh was it amazing but those days are long gone...

I use to be the stupid sixteen year old taking too many vicodins or lortabs without doing cwe's... Oh shit did my doctor tell me how fucked up my liver was... Liver enzymes too high... Luckily it recovered after I smartened up on my harm reduction techniques.

Yeah, like don't get me wrong hydros are a nice drug but I've gone past the point where I can really say I enjoy them. I hope I can go back to when a few hydros would knock me off my ass but that's not even possible right now, sadly :\ in the end its still all just personal opinion and some prefer oxycodone over hydro and sometimes it the other way around. I still respect hydrocodone but its not my drug of choice, especially not now. Lol when I first got my hand on it though oh was it amazing but those days are long gone...

I use to be the stupid sixteen year old taking too many vicodins or lortabs without doing cwe's... Oh shit did my doctor tell me how fucked up my liver was... Liver enzymes too high... Luckily it recovered after I smartened up on my harm reduction techniques.

I miss those days too. I remember when two 7.5/500 Hydrocodone tablets would get me feeling amazing for 2 to 3 hours. I wouldn't even feel a desire to redose the rest of the day because of the afterglow. Now I'm lucky if 15mg of Hydrocodone even affects me. I don't even do Opiates anymore, just once in a blue moon when I feel like indulging. I think it's the mental aspect, we've been to those high high points of heavy doses that we can never return to the low doses. It'll never be the same, I fear.

^I sadly agree with the last thing you said. We can only hope that we can go back to those days but I don't think it will ever happen.

Yeah the first time I crushed up some vicodins and took them lol, I was so high and that was one of the best nights ever. I went to bed after it all and the afterglow was amazing. My cousin came home late and made a burrito lol and came into the room I was in and we had a long talk... It was the night before I went back home. One of the nights I was content with everything around me.

Hey guys, try to keep the discussion on-topic.

I really enjoy hydrocodone and look forward to trying this as a pain killer. HC was my first love and still the best, even compared to dope or dilaudid or opana.

i prfer hycodone over oxy, the only reason why i stick to roxi is because no apap. interested to see how these turn out..