• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is my tolerance going up?

RunRiverRun

Greenlighter
So for the last 3 months i have been off smoking and i just got back last week.
Since then i have been consuming daily on high doses (around 5g)

i feel like i am losing the high again which i really didnt expect to happen so fast tbh
Could it be that i am just getting some shit weed? Or can tolerance actualhy go high this fast?

I don't think anyone can definitively answer these questions for you - but i think there's a high likelihood that it's a combination of things.
Tolerance can be kind of erratic, and it isn't always linesr in how it goes up or down.
Quality of the cannabis can certainly play a role too - absolutely.

But your guess is as good as ours. Actually, your guess is far better than ours.
I think that if you're really smoking 5 grams of weed a day, yes - you will build a significant tolerance pretty quickly.

Personally, i find cannabis to be the best example there is of "less is more". The less weed i smoke, the higher i get.
But when i smoke heaps regularly, it doesn't do a great deal.
I've recently taken a bit of a tolerance break, because i was smoking massive big rasta-size spliffs of really nice weed, and they were barely getting me high.
After a break, a vape or two gets me nicely toasted - but having already had a high tolerance, it doesn't tend to take me very long to build it up again.
But again - you might also be smoking sub-par bud.

Last edited:
5g is a pretty insane amount of weed to smoke a day... if your consumption was at a similar level before your break, I'd say that maybe 3 months wasn't enough to fully drop your tolerance and jumping back in with that kind of doses will pretty much just skyrocket it...

I agree with spacejunk, smoking less at once and not being high all day does alot to keep tolerance at bay.

Did you have any withdrawal from the break you took? That's A BIG habit.

If you need that much, your poor brain ain't ready.

Did you have any withdrawal from the break you took? That's A BIG habit.

If you need that much, your poor brain ain't ready.

I'm prescribed 4g/day. There is tolerance to getting high, but I haven't found any tolerance at all for pain reduction, nausea relief or as a sleeping aid.

As to withdrawal, well I'm permanently grumpy after having to quit work and performing dialysis at home - I'd say that not having weed is just like having some asshole constantly poke me with a stick (the reaction being to want to grab the non existent stick and smash the non existent poker over the head). It's more of a psychological thing, with me at least.

Tom

I'm on MMJ for neuromuscular atrophy, arthritis, and spinal stenosis. I just hit tolerance in less than three months of returning to use after coming off of opiates. This is my only option and I have to make it work, so I think we are in similar boats.

My pain is not alleviated by MMJ. I just helps me to relax and sleep, which DO help with pain in a weird way because stress causes inflammation.

I didn't have rage or sensitivity. I am sweating bullets, then freezing, not eating, coughing, and not sleeping. All to just go back and try to do it better.

Awesome mod peoples: Is there a chance we could score a MMJ board since it is a unique situation?

I think people waste so much weed these days but don't get me wrong if your having fun though that's the main thing I guess.

I think people waste so much weed these days but don't get me wrong if your having fun though that's the main thing I guess.

Define waste please. I go through a fair bit, but I avoid sleeping pills, arthritis medication and it substitutes quite nicely for anti nausea drugs (beats gravol, odansetron and maxeran). If by fun you mean being high, then no I'm not having much fun.

Tom

Didn’t get any withdrawal symptoms tbh.
i used to smoke 2-4g approx 4/5 times per week.
I did feel a bit off on the first 2 days.
I am also a cig smoker so maybe that makes it easier for me?

I think i will give another break then, for around 3 weeks probably.

What ROA are people using to consume 4 or grams a day? Vaping? Smoking?
If you're smoking it - is that in joints? Bongs?
It's more weed than i've ever smoked in a day - but certainly no judgememt from me, it its helping you.

It's more weed than i've ever smoked in a day - but certainly no judgememt from me, it its helping you.

My consumption topped out at 4g/day when I purchased an Arizer Solo 2. I found I was smoking just as much as when not using the Solo 2.

Typically I would consume 1/3 g at 6 am, 12 noon, 6 pm and 12 midnight. Those times are immediately before a dialysis so I could not have to worry about vomiting during the procedure. 1/5 g before meals (again for nausea prevention and appetite stimulation). That's about 2g/day, and then sporadic use the rest of the time. The Solo 2 just wasn't getting the job done (the weed was toasted a golden brown to almost black).

So the Solo has been sitting. Last time I used it was March.

And no, high levels of consumption are not always helping; can't always get the type/strain that I need from my licensed producer (typically 1:1 THC:CBD ratios from about 7-10 % ).

Tom

joints actually!

Tolerance? 5Grams a day? Dialysis? Opiates? MMJ? Whew! I'm sorry I stumbled onto this thread! It's pretty depressing. I checked it out cause I've always wondered about how people build up tolerance to good weed. Since I've read through it all, my heart goes out to all the sick people here. Especially that guy on Dialysis. Like, what is Dialysis for anyway—shot liver or kidneys?

I'm 60. I've been eating right (no sugar, bread, pastry, candy, hard liquor—only fresh veggies and meat ) on a Paleo diet even before I knew what a Paleo diet was starting at 25. Been bodybuilding and running and cross-cuntry skiing all my life to stay super healthy. Illness and disease creeps me out big time from the time I was 5 in the hospital when they tore out my tonsiles—I f*#@%^& HATE hospitals. Can you imagine a little 5 year old kid bleeding like a stuck pig for 3 days straight after they tore them out? Hate f*#@%^& doctors too! I just wanna help everybody here get better. But once you're on dialysis I guess you're f$%^@# anyway. I heard stem cell therapy can make a new liver and kidneys but it's pretty expensive. My belief is that seriously sick people bring it on themselves from a whole life living the opposite of mine—hard drinking, hard drug use, eating junk, and a slovenly seditary lifestyle. So without expensive medical intervention to unfuc@ a sick body, I would say you all can re-build yourselves by eating right and getting some exercise. "Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food."

I've been a Marijuana smoker since I started bodybuilding at 25 but only for the fun of it! Never for medicine. Never believed in all that BS. But its not BS cause lately I've been studying and researching CBD's and all the good weed I've been smoking has been CBD medicine in disguise! What I've discovered is that CBD works best when combined with THC and you can get it naturally just by smoking weed—but good weed!

My guess is that all these "old" tokers with tolerance problems have been smoking BAD POT sold as "good" pot. And for those of you who love Conspiracy Theories, my hunch is that people not enjoying the thrill of getting high (tolerance) have been smoking BAD POT. But not in a way you might think! Ever since I realized all the seeds in the Mexican/Columbian weed I was buying and smoking in the early 80's could be planted, I've been growing my own and not buying it! Starting as hobby, I hand-trimmed my own Buds. The thing people may not realize about hand-trimming is that its super gentle and leaves ALL the high-producing medicinal crystals and resins on the Bud!

I noticed you guys buy your weed at dispensaries. Bad move! Dispensaries sell bad weed! They sell bad weed cause they get it from big commercial licensed growers and most big growers don't hand-trim anymore, even though they lie and say they do. Instead they use these big expensive auto-trimmers and these things have nasty blades that trim the Buds and in the process they strip all good resin and crystals off the Buds leaving you with inferior weed.

After I became a big commercial grower myself, I fell into the trap of using these big auto-trimmers with blades. One day I smoked some of my own commercial produce that had been trimmed with my big bladed trimmers and guess what? NO MO HIGH! I was blown away, but since all my black-market customers loved my product I didn't care cause I've only smoked my own grow from my house that was hand-trimmed with my own fingers pinching off the leaves! The thing about these big bad bladed trimmers is that they break down a lot and slowed down my commercial production and one day I was forced to go looking for a better way. That's when I found Toms Tumble Trimmer. Its a dry auto-trimmer that doesn't use blades and trims Buds by tumbling them in its mesh drums. So I bought one hoping it would be the answer to all my hopes and dreams. I smoked the Buds that we first made from that one machine and guess what? I got the same beautiful high that I did from my own hand-finger-trimmed Bud! I just put two and two together and figured I got such a nice high from this trimmer because it kept all the resin and crystals on the Bud. So I took some to an independent lab to get tested and their results were that the Toms Tumble Trimmer did in fact leave 98% of all the good crystals and resin on the Bud. Needless to say I went out and got 4 more and they haven't broke down or needed maintenance since I got 'em 3 years ago!

So, if you guys want to get your mojo on with a good high from good weed grow it yourself and hand trim it yourself. Since most people are too lazy to do that or just can't because of other reasons, I would say find a good black market grower like me who trims with a Toms Tumble Trimmer. Or get one of Tom's Home Models yourself and go get your high back!

And P.S. I only have ever smoked 2 little joints of my OG-KUSH every night after my shower, yoga and supper. How many grams is that? But who cares? I'm as healthy as a horse and I end every night on HIGH NOTE with a good fuc$ to boot! So get healthy you guys and start smokin' THE GOOD STUFF!

God Bless!
Keen For Green

Heh, that dialysis guy is me (kidneys stopped working to the point I require dialysis). It isn't as bad as you would think. I'm not one of these people who go into a hospital and have blood exchanges 3x a week; I do this at home, and it's peritoneal dialysis. I've got 2 dogs, 2 cats, am obsessed with politics (I picked the right time eh?)and can listen to music as loud/late as I want. Biggest benefit is not having to work at a job in animal research where I'd end up having to euthanize animals.

Anyways, as a Canadian, the only legal way to get weed was through the government via large licensed producers. One used auto trimmers, but a local producer hand trims and has had some stellar Afghan Kush and Super Lemon Haze. Our country is going legal/recreational on October 17th but I'm renewing my medical license for a number of reasons; very low pricing, I can legally carry up to 120g on my person in public, fly with it anywhere in Canada, deduct the $ cost at income tax time. And its very close to being a covered prescription drug. Oh yeah, my group insurance plan already reimburses me for $820 a year.

Growing myself - I've got the equipment, but our Premiere (equivalent to a state governor) has decided no home growing (Manitoba, Quebec and Nunavut in this group). There will be a Supreme Court challenge and I fully expect to be allowed to home cultivate as soon as someone gets busted for a measly 4 plants.

And no, stem cell therapy can't make a new liver or kidney (yet) :)

Tom

RunRiverRun said:
joints actually!

ah yes. not surprised - i roll fatties too :)

My consumption topped out at 4g/day when I purchased an Arizer Solo 2. I found I was smoking just as much as when not using the Solo 2.

Typically I would consume 1/3 g at 6 am, 12 noon, 6 pm and 12 midnight. Those times are immediately before a dialysis so I could not have to worry about vomiting during the procedure. 1/5 g before meals (again for nausea prevention and appetite stimulation). That's about 2g/day, and then sporadic use the rest of the time. The Solo 2 just wasn't getting the job done (the weed was toasted a golden brown to almost black).

So the Solo has been sitting. Last time I used it was March.

And no, high levels of consumption are not always helping; can't always get the type/strain that I need from my licensed producer (typically 1:1 THC:CBD ratios from about 7-10 % ).

Tom

Thanks for sharing that man. interesting.

I have friends that have arizers, but love them. not sure what model though - their ones are similar to the one you mention.

How much did the cannabis help for the pain you were going through? I assume that dialysis must be pretty unpleasant - and tedious?

5 grams is a lot! It lasts me weeks! How long did it take to get up to that point? Do you ever get extreme paranoia? My lungs would collapse!

ah yes. not surprised - i roll fatties too :)

Thanks for sharing that man. interesting.

I have friends that have arizers, but love them. not sure what model though - their ones are similar to the one you mention.

How much did the cannabis help for the pain you were going through? I assume that dialysis must be pretty unpleasant - and tedious?

The MJ kills the nausea dead in its tracks or prevents it from starting. Negative side effect is that I'm always over the legal limit (or what will be the legal limit), so I gave my car away. Dialysis is boring, so I'm always using an iPad and listening to Spotify through home speakers (or CNN). Yeah, tedious would describe it (6 am, 12 noon, 6 pm and 12 midnight). But I look at the positive side - I get a wake n bake every single day with coffee and a bong rip with no one to say 'you can't do that' :)

Tom

Originally I was at 4 grams a day but I switched to an oil and began at just over 500mg slowly it dropped to 140mg. My smoking tolerance is low so I still get a nice heady high when I smoke.

Edibles have helped keep the enjoyment of taking a puff while taking care of my medical requirements.

I hadn't really thought about it much that I don't get nausea until I went to see the doctor about my strangely sore back, turned out I had the flu but wasn't experiencing any other side effect. I have thrown up 1 time in the last 8 years and it was from taking a huge bong rip and greening out for 10 minutes.

Weed really does kill the nausea, even when i wasn't paying attention.

It isn't shit weed if you were getting high at first.

Tolerance can return that fast - especially if consuming on a frequent basis (multiple times a day) and having a history with the drug. You are probably smoking similar weed to what you were before too, but however strong the weed is, if you smoke it habitually you adjust very quickly it - losing a lot of the positive effects and not really gaining anything.

I don't see tolerance being much of an issue with you if you sesh like twice a day spread out as much as possible. And since you just started again, it's a good time to begin a new weed smoking regime. What you are doing obviously isn't working. It is because 5 grams a day is probably way the fuck too much and you probably having cravings / fiending for it a bit. Getting high when you already are, wake and bakes etc. I don't even feel it anymore, and it is sort of irritating for me to make it 6 hours, eve, so I am in the midst of cutting back. If you can't control it and you only started smoking a week ago considering quitting as you can always go back to it later.

I quit for 3 years, and it took about a month to get a heavy tolerance. My tolerance dropped very rapidly though. So you should keep smoking, but smoke less frequently if you can. That way your brain has a chance to recover from the high before you get high again so that you are physically capable of getting high. Make sure you have not been high for several hours at the very least before smoking again. Keep to like 0.1 in bong or something small like that, a joint maybe. This will help with tolerance issues which for me = financial problems.

My dispensaries grow their own weed. You can see the plants in some of the buildings.