• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol vs Codeine to Potentiate Oxycodone

Oxy8_8

Bluelighter
I'm aware that you shouldn't take codeine and tramadol together so I don't. I realize that's a little silly coming from an addict but I don't fuck around when it comes to seizures.

First of all - is there any big difference between potentiating oxy with codeine and potentiating oxy with tramadol?

I have a shit-ton of both tramadol and codeine (without acetaminophen) so amount isn't an issue.
I've always used codeine but tramadol is stronger I think so would it be a stronger potentiator?

I have had 6 seizures in the past 2 years (none for 8 months now) all due to alcohol withdrawal. I have no epilepsy or seizure disorders, it was purely acute alcohol withdrawal. I'm currently 6 months sober (from alcohol, not opiates...ironically my alcohol detox involved morphine in hospital and I got hooked...long story). I know tramadol lowers your seizure threshold so I am very very weary of taking more than 100mg, 150mg max at a time as having had seizures in the past - regardless of the cause - leaves you more vulnerable to having another one.
I also take zoloft/sertraline 100g daily which when taken with tramadol also heightens risk of seizures.
My doctor DID prescribe me tramadol once knowing all of this so....whatever, I guess it's safe.
On the plus side I take lamotrigine for bipolar disorder but it is also used to treat epilepsy so maybe it evens out lol...christ I'm on so many pills I should rattle when I walk.

I always run out of my oxy early and withdrawal is a bitch so I'm looking to get the absolute most I can to try and make my oxy last.

Tramadol is about the same in potency to codeine in efficient users of codeine...

Tramadol may be weirdly stimulating with oxycodone... Blocking some nods...

I'm aware that you shouldn't take codeine and tramadol together so I don't.

I didn't know there was any danger in mixing those two. Why would codeine be a no-no with tramadol, but oxycodone and tramadol be OK?

They are fine to mix, but OP is prone to seizures...

The OP shouldn’t take tramadol at all...

Use the codeine...

They are fine to mix, but OP is prone to seizures...

The OP shouldn’t take tramadol at all...

Use the codeine...

PLEASE us the codeine, i just posted about my tramadol siezure, it was one of the worst experiences i've ever had, besides the fact that after 2 hours of horrible pain from the awful muscle contractions i was given a IV shot from heaven.... diluadid 4mg's. like i said, this was only cause i was in awful pain, and 4mgs of hydromorphone IV'ed didnt eeven help to much. and i snort 6mg's of diluadid and almost nod.

I take my trams to help with wd after i run out of opiates they don't really enhance anything

I'm looking at 48 hours without Oxy (Mon morining to wed morning). Normally take 100-200mg Oxy. How much tramadol do you find stops WDs??

^That's not a good train of thought... tramadol will probably do very little for the WDs in moderate doses, and not a lot for large doses. Not at all safe for someone seizure prone.

^That's not a good train of thought... tramadol will probably do very little for the WDs in moderate doses, and not a lot for large doses. Not at all safe for someone seizure prone.

I could use codeine (the kind without acetaminophen) instead?

PLEASE us the codeine, i just posted about my tramadol siezure, it was one of the worst experiences i've ever had, besides the fact that after 2 hours of horrible pain from the awful muscle contractions i was given a IV shot from heaven.... diluadid 4mg's. like i said, this was only cause i was in awful pain, and 4mgs of hydromorphone IV'ed didnt eeven help to much. and i snort 6mg's of diluadid and almost nod.

I will do thanks.
I'm so sorry you had a tramadol seiure. I took 5000mg over the course of 24 hours theother day and had severe muscles twitches and body spasm...I think I was extremely close to seizure myself.

I didn't know there was any danger in mixing those two. Why would codeine be a no-no with tramadol, but oxycodone and tramadol be OK?

My doctor told me that mixing codeine and Ttramadol lowers your seizure threshold significantly more than Tramadol alone. This is not the case with other opiates.
I honestly don't know why codeine and not other opiates, but it's definitely true. NEVER mix the two.

^That's interesting. You know, I've never heard that before.

Can anyone with knowledge of the interaction between tramadol and codeine shed light on why codeine, but not other opioids, would increase risk of seizure when combined with tramadol?

I took 5000mg over the course of 24 hours theother day and had severe muscles twitches and body spasm...I think I was extremely close to seizure myself.

Holy shit! You took 5grams of tramadol?! Did I read that right? That's a fucking massive dose.

Holy crap 5000 mg of tramadol and no siezure? I woulda been scared to recommend 200mg to you. I don't have siezures but don't really like tramadol either. I only take it when I'm in withdrawal and it's all I can find. I'd definitely recommend the codeine over the tramadol.

i've tried to potentiate oxycodone with tramadol before and all it did was ruin the high for me. it kinda made it so my oxycodone dose didn't work properly like similar to taking oxy when coming off suboxone for 2.5 days or so and it still blocks most of the opiate effects. i have, many years ago, potentiated my oxycodone with codeine or morphine in a way. i'd take the codeine or morphine about 1 hour after taking the oxycodone. reason being that it would just extend the opiate high a little and i only did this when i was getting high on a budget lol. i prefer to just dose the oxycodone alone as i feel like morphine and codeine just dirty up the high a bit. oxycodone for me is pretty stimulating, not as body heavy, but i'll also nod when i take enough. codeine or morphine kinda messes that up for me so i was never a fan of taking them together.

yea im almost positive you would overdose from tramadols high toxicity if you took 5g's lol. basically all we are saying is only take the tramadol if you absolutely feel the need to

Codeine is weird like thebaine and Oripavine...

It has matabolites that are very shitty in overdose...

From all I've heard and read, codeine doesn't cause ones seizure threshold to lower like Tramadol. Codeine is just a pro-drug of morphine and it's very weak (Morphine is 30xStronger than codein). I think Tramadol is somewhere between Darvon or hydrocodone and codeine.

My girlfriend seems to find value in Tramadol for kicking, but it's been useless for me in that regard, and I never felt as though Tramadol potentiator other opiates...I sort of felt more like I was excited. Not in a good way, but rather in an agitated and irritable way. However, codeine is just as useless for me (I have gotten stoned off Tramadol once). The problem with codeine is that since it's a pro-drug (meaning it metabolizes into a different drug, which, in this case is morphine), it can only metabolize only a certain ammount into morphine at a given time. Basically, you have to stagger your dosages throughout the period of the day. It's not like other opiates where you can just add a few milligrams or micrograms and start feeling good again.

STILL, I would try codeine (though it will likely be useless) but forget about the tramadol. Tramadol also runs a risk of seizure if one takes over (300mg? Can't remember off the top of my head but find out the max dosage of tramad/ultram that one is usually safe taking). Along with that, it's a weak ass opioid and I'd rather use adderall to potentiate oxycodone.

If you want to find ways to potentiate your medication, check out The Ultimate Opiate Potentiation Megathread. Also, you can try Cimitidine (an OTC Acid Reducer found naturally in white grape-fruits, which slows down the metabolization and increases the absorption of some opiates. There is also Dextromethorphan, which is an NMDA antagonist present in cough/cold medication like Robotussin and the like. NMDA antagonists (other examples are methoxetamind, ketamine and PCP) are thought to help reverse tolerance to opiates, benzodiazepines and amphetamines. It is also thought that they also potentiate the effects of these drugs, which has been my experience. I use DXM because it's easy to get, and I've found that 80mg works, though 60mg definitely help too. Of course, research all these drugs thoroughly. DXM mixed with say, MDMA, can cause seretonin syndrome which can kill people.

Last edited: