• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How long does chewing a fentanyl patch take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizzbee

Greenlighter
I am new here, so I'll make my first thread short and sweet... How long does it take to get all the fentanyl from a patch when you start to chew it? How long do you normally keep it in your mouth? I know an opiate user, who is still just beginning to realize how versatile the patch really is

Make sure you have a good tolerance to chew and mess with fent. were not here to help you get high. For HR I would use the patch as directed, transdermally.

My friend has a high tolerance, has been a user for years.. She just only began chewing them in the past five months. But she is Just curious about other people's preferences.

Hey, we don't use SWIM, or "my friend", no variants whatsoever here on bluelight.

Read the BLUA and OD guidelines, both in my signature.

Do not chew fentanyl patches, they are best worn transdermally only by the most opioid tolerant users.

My bad.. Good to know. I obviously know its not good for me..
I know there is other posts about chewing them. I just wanted to know how long people leave then in their mouth, or how long it takes to get all the fentanyl out if I were to chew it.

Yes, buccal fentanyl actually has a much lower BA than transdermal, and IMO, absorbing a ton of fentanyl all at once is not worth the risk for a short lived, cold high.

Fentanyl has a transdermal BA of 92% IIRC, that's as good as you're going to get. Don't abuse the patch.

It's not worth it, no euphoria, pure sedation, like there's a city bus on your chest.

Most people don't really seem to enjoy fent but I actually really like it. Don't mess with it unless your tolerance is really, really high.

I would chew on the patch (or part of the patch) for a solid 5 minutes or so nonstop, then I would just leave it in my mouth, moving it around with my tongue for as long as I could stand it. Sometimes I'd have the patch in my mouth for hours. Granted, the drug is probably all gone after 30 minutes, but I kinda liked the patch. It was like indestructible gum haha.

Most people don't really seem to enjoy fent but I actually really like it. Don't mess with it unless your tolerance is really, really high.

I would chew on the patch (or part of the patch) for a solid 5 minutes or so nonstop, then I would just leave it in my mouth, moving it around with my tongue for as long as I could stand it. Sometimes I'd have the patch in my mouth for hours. Granted, the drug is probably all gone after 30 minutes, but I kinda liked the patch. It was like indestructible gum haha.

Cool, thanks for the honest reply. It is comforting to know i am not the only one. i am interested to knowing how long it actually takes to come out of the patch (do you know 30 mins for sure?) because i often can keep mine in for hours as well... as long as there is a taste to it.

I searched for the thread in which I read the 30 minute number but can't find it. It's very possible that I am way off on that number, or I'm dead on. Sorry for not being much help :/

But like you, I just don't mind keeping it in there for a long, long time so as long as you don't risk ODing or something of the sort, I don't see any harm in keeping it in there

My friend has a high tolerance, has been a user for years.. She just only began chewing them in the past five months. But she is Just curious about other people's preferences.

If chewing is a new ROA, keep in mind that some of the usual pre-drug cues will be absent, which will actually reduce tolerance.

When you guys say chewing on the patch do you mean the gelatinous patch or the clear cover over the patch?
I have a high tolerance for opiates but the 25mcg patch is not really doing much for me in exception for the second patch which made me sick and couldn't stop puking.
Now, can I instead try the clear coat covering the patch instead? Like licking it to see if that would give some extra pain relief?.
I'm not comfortable chewing the main patch for OD and death talks I've seen around, nor I wish to get high or go on a ride.
I'm just in a lot of pain after chemo. I have lupus and chronic pain. They would give me fent when I was out of remission for leukemia and in the hospital since morphine wouldn't even touch my system but lupus is gnawing on my joints man. I'm desperate. Would it hurt to suck on just the clear coat of the patch instead of the patch or should I stay away? Thanks

You shouldn't misuse your patch. If you're not getting the relief you need talk to your doctor to get breakthrough meds or an increased dosage as it sounds you legitimately need it.

You shouldn't misuse your patch. If you're not getting the relief you need talk to your doctor to get breakthrough meds or an increased dosage as it sounds you legitimately need it.

This
By licking the patch you'll gain nothing, as the Bioavailability decreases (transdermal around 92%,while buccal is only around 50% and oral is even less)
By chewing you'll risk an OD and you'll skyrock your toleranc, so eventually your meds won't do shit anymore. So as tacodude said, talk with your doctor. :)

Last edited:
Its not meant to be chewed of licked. People who abuse it stick it to the inside of their cheeck for buccal absorption. This is incredibly dangerous since although even though the BA is lower the patch contains A LOT of fentanyl and a very high percentage of it is dumped out of the patch in a very short amount of time .....minutes rather than days. Unless your tollerance is huge this is an excellent way to end up dead...

Just ask the doc for a stronger patch and use as directed.

Last edited:
Okay, this was the question i wanted to ask, as i am simply notvgettingbthe relief i need! I was in a really bad car accident, bad back, its a nightmsre, hurts to wash dishes!!! For gods sake!
I have had a 12.5 mcg/hr patch in my mouth for going on three hrs. I do feel better! I had been on lots of morphine for years though. Huge tolerance.
I just put it in my cheek and left it there, now under my toungue. They say to try to not swallow your saliva however.
They are telling truth this can be very dangerous, but im well awsre that my tolerance is just too high. Was on a wean, but my pain only increased. I wasnt getting anywhere, back at a pain mngmt clinic.
Hope this helps!

I DEFINATELY dont recommend this but if used bucally the patch is supposed to be just placed on the inside of the cheeck (sticky side down obviously) not chewed.

Chewing it risks the adhesive sides sticking together and blocking any drug being released and chewing produces a lot of saliva resulting in the drug being swallowed (terrible oral BA).

It's very dangerous though as it results in almost all the fentanyl being released in one go and even a 25mcg patch contains about 4.2mg (millegrams) of fentanyl

I've witnessed people die from this in the course of my job and many times even 800mcg of naloxone (2 shots worth) IV doesnt always reverse the overdose due to fentanyls very high receptor affinity.

Plead stay safe <3

EDIT.....sorry i just realised that i posted basically the same thing twice......doh!!!!! :)

I heard on another website, that someone put his used patches in a 3/4full coke can/bottle, and drank it later, would this work? He said it did.
Also, how long would it take to absorb the fent in your cheek?

I heard on another website, that someone put his used patches in a 3/4full coke can/bottle, and drank it later, would this work? He said it did.
Also, how long would it take to absorb the fent in your cheek?

That sounds kinda gross considering how much you sweat and stuff in 3 days, but whatever, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.