• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Becoming a rocket scientist

fieryslash

Bluelighter
So I've decided that I want to become a rocket scientist. Is this a good career for somebody who wants to have fun with their career? I read somewhere that the demand for rocket scientists are needed nowadays. My plan is to get a P.hd in aerospace engineering; the top of the pop. Space and the universe interests me alot which is one of the main reasons why I'm choosing aerospace engineering. I also read that the coined term "aerospace engineering" is a branch of the two aeronautical and astronautical engineering. How smart do you have to be to train in this field? Being a rocket scientist excites me because you become one of the smartest people in this world and you also benefit the society which is good karma. I don't really care about the money as long as I can survive with the minimum requirements.

I know a few people going into this field and you really have to have a passion for math and science(PHYSICS PHYSICS PHYSICS anddd...ya PHYSICS). Although this probably isn't news to you.
The demand for them is only going to increase, and once you are looking into what grad school programs you want to get into you should have tons of different options.

Being a rocket scientist doesn't mean you become one of the smartest people in the world. Chances are, if you make it that far you're already smart. By the point you realize that, you will also realize that being one of the smartest people in the world doesn't matter, because you'd be thinking about a more worldly view of everything. I sort of see aerospace engineering a benefit, however all our aerospace engineers are doing is wasting lots and lots of money. The only thing left to do for now that involves space, is commercializing it so the government can make money from space travelers. Space is boring and for the foreseeable future, offers us nothing.

I'm not sure how serious this question is, or even if there is really a question here. But I would say that academic achievement is not about being the smartest person in the world. It's about working very hard for long periods of time. Discipline and dedication.

I went to school with a guy who go a general Engineering degree (the biggest degree at our school, which is small and prestigious), and then started working for a company that started up for the X-prizes, and has been with them ever since. He's definitely a rocket scientist.

You don't need a specific engineering degree, just a good one, and yeah, LOTS of physics and math. And dedication.

I ran into an old neighbor/ex swim coach of mine who was always a jerk when we were younger, but turns out now he's an aerospace engineer for Boeing. He got his masters from GA tech and I'm sure is making boatloads of money now.

Too bad he's still an asshole!

Just so u know, youll probably end up a missile scientist, not a rocket scientist.

You should consider a career working in India. From my understanding they are in dire need of some decent aeronautical engineers......lol.

This is one career that DOES require you to be a rocket scientist :D hahahaha but on the serious note im guessing by that expression and the math you need to be very excelled in math and smart. Though I wouldn't go as far as saying your the smartest people in the world. You can be the smartest in a certain subejct, but as far as saying smartest person is a overstatment

Being a rocket scientist doesn't mean you become one of the smartest people in the world. Chances are, if you make it that far you're already smart. By the point you realize that, you will also realize that being one of the smartest people in the world doesn't matter, because you'd be thinking about a more worldly view of everything. I sort of see aerospace engineering a benefit, however all our aerospace engineers are doing is wasting lots and lots of money. The only thing left to do for now that involves space, is commercializing it so the government can make money from space travelers. Space is boring and for the foreseeable future, offers us nothing.

Space is definetely not boring, at least not to me.

Sounds like you want to be an astrophysicist then, not an aerospace engineer :p

I guess that means you'll be needing a doctorate and tenure at a uni somewhere.

Both my parents are rocket scientists. They've managed to have a pretty good life. But it can be a grind just like any other job.