• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using opiates as an antidepression

I've been on many different kinds of antidepressants and none have worked for me.Opiates do make me cheery but they bit me in the ass years ago.I recently tried low dose amphetamine and they help a bit but I won't take it even every other day,I don't want another bad habit.

In the first long rambling post,the kid admitted he had gone through withdrawal a few times.I think he is tricking himself.Sure opiates make a person feel wonderful in the beginning but if he has already gone through withdrawal,I think he should think that he might have addiction potential.Addiction is sneaky,people think it won't happen to them until it does.By then it is too late.Then you are not only depressed but also addicted.The happy,jolly feeling does not stay forever without consequences.

The point that everyone is trying to make is that the avenue your mentioning can only lead to misery (except for that guy that you quote incessantly). You're really stuck on this opinion man, I've come to the conclusion that you must be real young (I'm 19 but what the hell) or you have minimal experience with opiate drugs. You may be as lost as the boys in the movie from which you get your namesake. I don't feel that anyone with any type of real experience with opiates could ever say something like this and defend it so hard. Have you ever actually seen someone go down hard from opiates? Have you seen the REAL damage that they can cause?

That's all irrelevant though isn't it? Many of the people on this site use opiates on a regular basis, that much is obvious. But it's a harm reduction web site, that's its purpose, to reduce harm. The reason I get so heated over your suggestions is because I, like many other people have seen opiates ruin lives, and, even given your obviously limited knowledge on this particular subject, you rep opiate use for people who are depressed like a champion. You outright just suggest it. I feel like you have no idea what you're saying, you couldn't possibly.

This place is a place for open discussion and advice, much like the Roman forums of old, but you're bordering on being directly harmful to people with this misguided advice. And correct me if I'm wrong man, but you're biggest piece of evidence is hearsay from someone on the internet that you've never met. Seriously, just think about what you're suggesting, seriously analyze the logic behind it. Repeat it to yourself in the mirror and tell me it doesn't just sound stupid.

Sorry for being so emotional, this is hopefully my last post in this thread. I feel like I'm tripping balls right now with the insane logic being thrown around by these couple people.

The point that everyone is trying to make is that the avenue your mentioning can only lead to misery (except for that guy that you quote incessantly). You're really stuck on this opinion man, I've come to the conclusion that you must be real young (I'm 19 but what the hell) or you have minimal experience with opiate drugs. You may be as lost as the boys in the movie from which you get your namesake. I don't feel that anyone with any type of real experience with opiates could ever say something like this and defend it so hard. Have you ever actually seen someone go down hard from opiates? Have you seen the REAL damage that they can cause?

That's all irrelevant though isn't it? Many of the people on this site use opiates on a regular basis, that much is obvious. But it's a harm reduction web site, that's its purpose, to reduce harm. The reason I get so heated over your suggestions is because I, like many other people have seen opiates ruin lives, and, even given your obviously limited knowledge on this particular subject, you rep opiate use for people who are depressed like a champion. You outright just suggest it. I feel like you have no idea what you're saying, you couldn't possibly.

This place is a place for open discussion and advice, much like the Roman forums of old, but you're bordering on being directly harmful to people with this misguided advice. And correct me if I'm wrong man, but you're biggest piece of evidence is hearsay from someone on the internet that you've never met. Seriously, just think about what you're suggesting, seriously analyze the logic behind it. Repeat it to yourself in the mirror and tell me it doesn't just sound stupid.

Sorry for being so emotional, this is hopefully my last post in this thread. I feel like I'm tripping balls right now with the insane logic being thrown around by these couple people.

1) Im in my late 30's

2) I never said everyone thats depressed go out & do opiates. I said do opiates if thats your last resort, it beats ending your life!

3) I typed about the guy that had success using Vicodin. You should check the 1st page where I talked about a good friend of mine that uses Vicodin for depression, it works for her!

4) Im not forcing anyone to use opiates, im only stating what I have seen in person & read about others that have used anti-depressants for years with no avail!

5) As far as what opiates I have taken, well, I absolutely hate Oxys & Percocets & yes, I know Percs have oxy in them. I have tried Oxys & Percs several times & they make me feel weird & give me headaches after the come down & my back pain seems to be worse afterwards. I do take prescribed Vicodin for back pain. I have been for a while & I never take more than 2 in one day. Actually Codeine works the best for my back pain & I take it once in a while.

6) We can go on about this forever, because I just dont see how a person being miserable for the rest of their lives on anti-depressants (people get suicidal on them too) should not have a chance at a better life because of your past history or other people past history with opiates. Just because your neighbor goes out drinking & driving & kills someone doesnt mean you shouldnt be allowed to drink, comprende?

7) Its insane logic only when you disagree with someones opinion. I for one do agree that opiates are dangerous & you have to respect their powers.

I have personally lived through the complete downfall opiates can bring. I lost EVERYTHING i had, my job my car my home with EVERYTHING in it, stolen and lied from my family and so on. Currently i have been off opiates for about a month and i never intend on self medicating myself again. At this point in time its very hard for me to do just ordinary things and honestly all i want to do is go to work and feel normal. I have 3 jobs lined out right now but due to the fact that i have random panic attacks and i constantly feel like shit because of my stomach problems im having to "wait" and see if my phyciarist can find a suitable drug that will put me on a level playing feel. I know first hand ANY opiate whether its oxicontin or fucken tramodal would help my situation greatly and give me the backbone i need to get on with my fucking life.

For those of you posting that no doctor would prescribe opiates for anti depression, do some searching. Doctors have already done clinical studies and proven he potential for opiates being used as an antidepression and there are already people here in the U.S. with prescriptions for oxycodone and oxymorphone used solely for antidepression.

For the record, im 20...

I have personally lived through the complete downfall opiates can bring. I lost EVERYTHING i had, my job my car my home with EVERYTHING in it, stolen and lied from my family and so on. Currently i have been off opiates for about a month and i never intend on self medicating myself again. At this point in time its very hard for me to do just ordinary things and honestly all i want to do is go to work and feel normal. I have 3 jobs lined out right now but due to the fact that i have random panic attacks and i constantly feel like shit because of my stomach problems im having to "wait" and see if my phyciarist can find a suitable drug that will put me on a level playing feel. I know first hand ANY opiate whether its oxicontin or fucken tramodal would help my situation greatly and give me the backbone i need to get on with my fucking life.

For those of you posting that no doctor would prescribe opiates for anti depression, do some searching. Doctors have already done clinical studies and proven he potential for opiates being used as an antidepression and there are already people here in the U.S. with prescriptions for oxycodone and oxymorphone used solely for antidepression.

For the record, im 20...

I hope you get the help you need to move on with your life man, good luck!

Glad i had someone who is seeing through this the same way i am. I appreciate you taking the time to put effort into this thread.

They are not 2 options because we as a society are scared to try & help others. We only help thers as we see fit, or should I say what we are educated on whether its the full truth.

The people I was reffering too are people that have exercised all avenues & have no where to go but down & yes I know that if you get addicted to opiates its bad but some people would rather take that option of trying them & see what happens.

Almost no one has tried "everything." It takes finding the right doc, the right medication or combination of medications, the right dosage, etc. Sometimes this is easier, sometimes its harder. But it does take time, patience and a competent doctor.

Its easy to feel like you've tried EVERYTHING when you're in that situation, but its often not the case. There may even be treatment options you're not aware of.

Almost no one has tried "everything." It takes finding the right doc, the right medication or combination of medications, the right dosage, etc. Sometimes this is easier, sometimes its harder. But it does take time, patience and a competent doctor.

Its easy to feel like you've tried EVERYTHING when you're in that situation, but its often not the case. There may even be treatment options you're not aware of.

I am not in depression but if I was, that last thing I would want is to be a guinea pig for years & years. No thanks! My cousins wifes aunt was on anti-depressants for 10 years trying all kinds & her husband says she has become wacky because of them (shes only 1 example that I care to type about).

I am not in depression but if I was, that last thing I would want is to be a guinea pig for years & years. No thanks! My cousins wifes aunt was on anti-depressants for 10 years trying all kinds & her husband says she has become wacky because of them (shes only 1 example that I care to type about).

The last thing you'd want to do would be seek out ACTUAL treatment that is effective for you? I'm sorry for your cousins wifes experiences, but its just irresponsible to try and sell opioid addiction as a viable option based on these kinds of anecdotal experiences. I'd rather talk about hard facts, or even case studies where all of the factors are in play. Saying her husband said they made her "wacky" really isn't a good basis to recommend opioid addiction to someone. And in terms of making someone "wacky", I've seen opioid withdrawal/addiction do a lot worse.

There are many doctors,trying many different types of medication to help people.Of course some doctors will try opiates to help a severely depressed person.They may work for some people.The point (to me) pillman is that YOU have had an admitted opiate problem.I think you are just looking for an excuse to start your problem up again.Then again ,I am an old woman in her fifties that has had an addiction problem for decades.Maybe things have changed with you young people.It is too bad that humans have to learn everything the hard way.

I don't know what country you're in, but doctors in the US will most certainly not prescribe opiates for people with Major Depressive Disorder, or anything other than pain for that matter. Unless you have Michael Jackson's doctor, in which case, have at it. Most doctors don't want to throw away the several hundred grand investment they made in going to med school to break medical protocol so blatantly. I'm sure there are studies somewhere being done related to this but that's about it.

You said you're in you're fifties so that probably plays a role in this. My mother always tells me about how drugs were given away with much less care back in her hay-day. She always tells me about how when she was a kid her grandmother (my great grandmother) always carried around a bottle of codeine cough syrup, and just sipped it all day long. Watching tv, driving everyone in the car, and so on. Granted codeine isn't too potent a drug, I still think my story is fairly relevant... and pretty hilarious when I imagine it

And of course the valium, everyone was on valium lol

Last edited:
There are many doctors,trying many different types of medication to help people.Of course some doctors will try opiates to help a severely depressed person.They may work for some people.The point (to me) pillman is that YOU have had an admitted opiate problem.I think you are just looking for an excuse to start your problem up again.Then again ,I am an old woman in her fifties that has had an addiction problem for decades.Maybe things have changed with you young people.It is too bad that humans have to learn everything the hard way.

If i wanted to start doing opiates again i wouldnt need an excuse i would just go out and buy them.. I was doing opiates before solely to get high, not to keep me level minded. And if i was prescribed something i wouldnt get nearly enough to get high anyways rather, enough to keep me stable on a daily basis.

I talked to my counsler today and i will be prescribed suboxane for the time being to see if it levels me off. I have told her my history with anti depressents and apparently everyone in my family has the same reaction to them and they havnt worked at all. My mom was even hostpitalized and almost died due to some of the anti depressents she was taking. I will let you guys know how this helps, they were talking about maybe prescribing tramadol for my stomach problems if the suboxane doesnt help with my depression.

Here are excerpts of an article by Professor Irving Kirsch, a leading psychologist:

We spend more than £250 m a year on antidepressants in the UK - and it's a complete waste of money. They are not much better than sugar pills, they have nasty side - effects, such as sexual dysfunction, and they increase young people's risk of suicide.

New research shows they don't even work on the brain in the way we thought they did.
For years we were told depression was caused by low levels of a brain chemical called serotonin, and that antidepressants worked by boosting it. But an Australian study published in the Archives of General Psychiatry shows that rather than low levels, depressed people might have double the normal amount in some parts of their brain.

I've been studying antidepressants for more than a decade, and I knew that if they worked at all, it wasn't by changing brain chemistry. The major reason you feel better when taking an antidepressant - maybe the only reason - is the placebo effect.
When I first published a paper back in 1998 saying that antidepressant drugs such as Prozac and Seroxat were not much better than a placebo, almost everyone thought it couldn't be true.

There was so much evidence they worked. Thousands of people claimed the drugs had turned their lives round. My colleagues said that I must have made a mistake: either I had looked at the wrong data, or I hadn't analysed it properly. In fact, what I'd done was to look at the research on antidepressants in a different way from everyone else. Other researchers were concentrating on how much better the drugs were than a placebo. What I was interested in was finding out how strong the placebo effect was in treating depression. I compared the placebo effect to having no treatment at all - no one had done that before.

We already knew that placebos could have a powerful effect in conditions such as pain, angina, ulcers and asthma.

Depression was an obvious next step, because when you are depressed you lose hope, and placebos give you hope. But I was flabbergasted by just how big the placebo effect was. Patients getting the drug improved: that was not surprising. But patients given the placebo also got better - and by almost the same amount. Most of the drug improvement was really a placebo effect. I decided the best way to convince people that antidepressants were largely placebos was to look at the drug companies' own data.

At the time, I was working at the University of Connecticut, so I used the Freedom of Information Act to force the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, which licenses drugs, to let me see all the trials the drug companies had run to get the most popular antidepressants approved. That's when I got another shock. More than half of the trials showed no difference at all between the drugs and the placebos - but most of those negative trials had never been published.

Heres the link to the rest of the story, its kinda long:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...sugar-pills-work-just-well.html#ixzz0wvJk4xdL

If i wanted to start doing opiates again i wouldnt need an excuse i would just go out and buy them.. I was doing opiates before solely to get high, not to keep me level minded. And if i was prescribed something i wouldnt get nearly enough to get high anyways rather, enough to keep me stable on a daily basis.

I talked to my counsler today and i will be prescribed suboxane for the time being to see if it levels me off. I have told her my history with anti depressents and apparently everyone in my family has the same reaction to them and they havnt worked at all. My mom was even hostpitalized and almost died due to some of the anti depressents she was taking. I will let you guys know how this helps, they were talking about maybe prescribing tramadol for my stomach problems if the suboxane doesnt help with my depression.

Atleast you are getting some help, good for you!

Yea, at first it works great, but it usually doesn't end that way. At first it may seem to give you lots of energy, make you more motivated and functional (though it doesn't have that effect on everyone), but then it may make you just want to sit around and be high, be too high to be able to do anything or go anywhere, or be in withdrawals and too sick to do anything, etc.

This will end up being your life, and the euphoria will decrease over time to staying just on the side of good, or not even that and just maintaining health (many heavy users are actually deeply depressed). So for most it ends up making them completely unfinctional, and just in a little better state than before or just needing it to be normal. Not to mention the destruction of the financial and social life, and problem with the law, that will inevitably come with time.

This is why it's not a good choice as an antidepressant and I hope you understand how serious this is. Rare is the person with the self control to be able to use opiates in a responsible manner and stay completely functional on them, and I think this is more for those who have it well together already and doesn't want to use it to patch up a ruined life. Though it can seemingly be used that way, but leads to a whole new set off problem, and eventually stops working. Mainly it kills motivation and eventually makes people want to do nothing but get high and unable to do anything else, and the daily problems an addict will face can be unsurmountable, as anyone will tell you. But if you want to go along for the ride, that is your choice, no way of knowing what it had in store for you.

Last edited:
" but if i were to explain my situation to a doctor and have someone else taking care of my dosage and making sure i am just popping them would there be a chance that i could get prescribed some sort of opiate to help with my conditions? "

Its probably allready been suggested but why not go on subutex or methadone to help with your depression. they dont make you high after a few weeks but still give a" lift "even after the tolerance builds up.
Its very common for people with underlying anxiety/depression to take too opiates like a fish to water.