• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Quitting meth Vs. Quitting smoking

KinoTheBlueElf

Greenlighter
My mother had stopped using meth during her six month stay in jail but yet while she was there, she did everything she could to get a hold of cigarettes, even if they've been up someones ass. After she was out, I asked her why she had not quit smoking and she said that cigarettes are more addictive than the meth was. She said there was other drugs (meth incl.) available but she never tried to obtain them. I used to smoke but I just decided to quit because they were expensive and quitting didn't give me any problems. It was a lot easier than getting off of Hydrocodone by a long-shot. What I want to know is how it could be more addictive than meth. Anyone have any ideas?

No idea. I guess different substances can grab ahold of people in different ways than others. I have no problem smoking cigs for a week than stopping for weeks-months at a time, its probally because they don't hold my interest, I just like them to go with my opiate high sometimes/social.

It's because people have receptors for nicotine in the brain. When they are constantly stimulate it pleases your brain. When the chemical is stopped it agitates the brain and then mood changes and anger can set in. I get very angry when I want to smoke and can not. It's crazy. Well I go crazy for a few min. Then I calm down. It takes 3 days for nicotine to be eleminated from your body. If I can make it 3 days I can quit for a long time. My problem is I like smoking. I do it when I'm bored. That's a lot.

I honestly don't believe that it's more addictive than meth. I think that since it's socially acceptable, more people do it a lot more often than they would other drugs, and again, since it's socially acceptable, it's everywhere, making it more difficult to stop, due to triggers everywhere like movies, advertisements, and other people smoking.

Meth is the most addictive substance there is IME. Nicotine doesn't compare.

If smoking was illegal and regarded in a similar manner as we as a society generally regard meth, i'm pretty sure the general opinion would not be that nicotine is the most addictive drug as it is today.

Just my theory, nothing factual.

Nicotine and tobacco are not generally considered to be "more addictive" than methamphetamine. Nicotine withdrawl is relatively short-term (at least the peak effects) and cigarettes don't cause long-term depletion of neurotransmitters...

I think it's just a lot easier to build a drug dependency out of legal cigarettes than illegal meth.

Might also have something to do with the potential repercussions of being caught with a cig in jail being a lot less than being caught with meth. As others have said, nicotine is without doubt more socially acceptable. $0.02

As others have said, if I could buy some meth at the supermarket and be open and honest about my use, then I wouldn't be smoking a pack of cigs a day.